Oster 6854 14-Speeds Blender Reviews

Oster 6854 14-Speeds Blender

A great blender, the oster 14 speed

Feb 13, 2012 (Updated Feb 14, 2012)

Pros:The glass "bowl" 14 speeds, design

Cons:May be burning out the motor with light use.

The Bottom Line: This is an attractive model with little issue until now.

I received this blender as a wedding gift 4+ years ago and did not get much use out of until recently. Now that I have, I am more then happy to review this product!

Design: Very pretty nickel brushed base and nonstick surface on the bottom of the base. Glass bowl is wonderful, as I do not worry about throwing it in the dishwasher or it being fragile. Although it makes it heavier, it is worth it and the lid is rubber and plastic which is nice since it is the thing that is detached most.

Features and settings: This blender has 14 speeds, but I really use 4 of them most. Each "speed" is actually labeled with what you can make with it. So instead of the typical "chop" "blend" and "puree", you have "baby food" smoothie" "coffee" "soup" etc.
I appreciate the naming of the speeds by what you could make with them, but generally speaking, I don't follow them aside from the "self cleaning" which i use to get any food out of the blade prior to hand or dish washing.
For example, I use a mix between the "baby food" option and the "smoothie" option when making my sons baby foods. This is because the baby food option seems that it has a little less power to it, while the smoothie option gives it clear and concise power that is required to properly blend up the steamed items.
Please don't confuse that the soup option will heat, as some other blenders have that. The soup option is simply for the creamy texture it creates for soups.

Conclusion: While I am very happy with my blender and its adequate versatility this blender will not be for everyone, and especially not for someone who uses theirs on a regular daily basis. While it does have some "extras" it is generally basic.

I will leave you with this: I have listed one more downfall below that I feel some may need to be aware of, and while its not enough for me to review this negatively because I like the blender in general, it may be some use to others.
last night while using this blender for ice, it took longer then normal to blend it properly into the "daiquiri" style that it used to. That, along with the sound of the motor sounding a little dull, I am afraid just a couple short months of twice a week use, have turned this blender into a thing of my past. I am going to email them this week, in hopes that I may have a warranty of some sort, and will update when i speak with their customer service agent.

Amount Paid (US$): gift