Philips Norelco HS8420 Cordless Rechargeable  Men's Electric Shaver Reviews

Philips Norelco HS8420 Cordless Rechargeable Men's Electric Shaver

Philips Norelco Nivea Razor offers Conditioning Comfort

Nov 18, 2009

Pros:Moisturizes skin; Shaves close in due time

Cons:Must buy Nivea refills; Not good to use dry

The Bottom Line: This is a good electric razor to add to your collection.

Electric razors are nice for their convenience, but as anyone will tell you, they are also known for their inability to provide a super- close shave and their tendency to irritate the skin. One electric razor that helps to solve these and other problems is the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor, Model HS8420.

Razor Facts:

The Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is an electric razor with Norelco's trademark three floating heads containing small blades. These three floating heads are arranged in a triangular fashion and they are covered by a thin metal shield that protects the skin from the spinning blades.

This electric razor is a wet/dry razor and what sets it apart from most other electric razors is the Nivea conditioner dispensed as you shave. This conditioner is loaded into the razor by inserting the tip of the specially- designed conditioner into the tiny opening on the backside of the razor. There is a reservoir on the back with a see- through covering. Consumers will be able to see the conditioner enter the reservoir and will also know when it is full.

The Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is cordless and it must be charged to use. It comes with a small base for charging and the razor is simply placed in the base to charge. There is nothing to snap in place. You just place the razor in the base. You will know you have an electrical connection because a small, blue light will shine, on the front of the razor. Once the charging is complete, the light will shut off, indicating the razor is ready to use.

To use the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor, you place the three floating heads against your face and press the power button. With the blades spinning, a press of the small button above the power button will slowly release the conditioner onto the skin. A full charge is good for about thirty minutes of shaving.

Final Thoughts:

Shaving is a necessary evil- a boring, everyday routine task performed (usually) each morning before taking a shower and getting ready for work. I have different means for shaving, including ordinary hand razors and electric razors. I like to keep an assortment of different shaving devices handy so that I have the right tool for the job, when I need it.

Hand razors are best for achieving the closest possible shave, but electric razors offer speed and eliminate the chances for cuts. However, they can sometimes irritate the skin because many of them are intended to be used only on dry skin. This is what attracted me to the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor. My Remington electric razor is a dry- only razor, but the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is a razor that can withstand moisture, and it includes the added benefits of skin conditioner, squeezed directly from the razor itself, onto your skin. Because it is waterproof, the blades can be rinsed by placing under running water or by dipping the top of the razor into water. It can also be used in the shower, for added convenience.

I was a little apprehensive about the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor when I first received it, but I was quickly won over once I tried it out and realized its ability to provide a comfortable shave. Pressing the button releases the moisturizing conditioner directly onto your skin and, combined with a pre- shaving ritual of splashing very warm water on the face, provides a nice amount of moisturizing before shaving. The Nivea conditioner contains an ingredient known as MicroTec, which protects the skin from irritation. This conditioner is very good for its ability to add comfort to the shaving process. Pressing the release button for just a few seconds is usually all it takes to release just the right amount of conditioner to protect the skin.

As for the cutting ability of the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor, it is quite good and performs just as well, if not better than, most electric razors. However, there is a catch. The manual that comes with this Norelco razor advises that you need to allow your skin time to acclimate to this razor, and that this will typically take about three weeks. From my experience, this claim is accurate. My skin was not shaved as closely as I like when I first used this razor and I had to use a hand razor for touch- ups. But the more I used the razor, the closer the shave became. The comfort was good from the start, but the closeness didn't come until later.

The Philips Norelco Nivea Razor offers the three floating head design common to most all Norelco razors. However, as you will notice from the picture above, the three heads are more out in the open. Other Norelco electric razors keep the three heads surrounded on all but one side, but the heads are more open with this razor. This helps them to hug your face in just the right way to ensure a closer shave. And since the blades are protected behind a thin, metal shield, there are no worries about cutting the skin. As everyone knows, shaving with a manual razor, while it does provide a close shave, can lead to some nasty, painful cuts. This problem is eliminated with the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor.

This razor is easy to setup and store. Its base is much smaller than the charging base on my Remington razor. It fact, the base is actually so light and flimsy it is very easy to accidentally knock it off the counter. It is also possible to place the razor into the charging base incorrectly, resulting in a chargeless razor the next morning. This is because the razor doesn't snap or lock into place- it just "sits" in the charging base. Unless the metal elements are touching just right, the charging will not commence. This is why you need to be careful and make sure that the blue light appears on the front of the razor, as proof that charging is taking place.

Overall, the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is a very good razor that I am glad I got the time to know. The addition of Nivea conditioner makes for a more comfortable shave and the blades do shave at an acceptable level of closeness, provided you exercise patience and allow your skin time to adjust. Replacement bottles of Nivea conditioner are not always easy to find and this razor doesn't work well when dry, but other than these handful of minor complaints, the Philips Norelco Nivea Razor is a good shaving device that earns an easy recommendation.

NEW PHILIPS NORELCO HS8420 CORDLESS RECHARGEABLE MEN'S ELECTRIC SHAVER Philips Norelco HS8420 NIVEA For Men Razor, Moisturize your skin while you shav...

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Philips Norelco HS8420 Nivea for Men Razor Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Description: Nivea f...