Palm G2 Retractable Rolling Ball Gel Pen Purple Ink

Pilot G2 Does It Again -- Who Knew I Would Like Burgundy Ink!

Sep 12, 2006

Pros:rubberized grip, smooth ink flow, retractable point, gauge ink level in clear barrel, refillable

Cons:ink is not smear-proof or water-resistant; burgundy refills hard to find

The Bottom Line: This Pilot G2 pen with burgundy ink is a pleasure to write with even though it doesn't live up to all of the manufacturer's claims.

When I first saw the Pilot G-2 Retractable Gel Ink Rolling Ball Pen (Burgundy Ink), I thought, "I’m not into funky colored inks. I won't use this." However, I liked the color of the pen barrel, and soon the pen found its way into my hand. Now I’m having a hard time putting it down!

Description

The color of the rubberized grip around the pen and the end piece with the "clicker" is a cross between a rose and a burgundy color. It’s eye-catching in a world of blue and black pen barrels. This .7mm fine-point Pilot pen is 5 5/8" long and just under a 1/2" wide. It has a retractable point that slides into a clear casing. The rubberized grip measures 1 1/2" long with eight ribbed sections for a finger hold. It is easy to keep track of ink usage through the clear barrel. Along the side is a burgundy colored plastic clip that is 1 3/4" long.

Pilot says the ink offers smooth writing, is water resistant and smear-proof. The ink is also “archival safe”. G2 pens can be refilled.

My Experiences

I was hesitant to use burgundy colored ink, even though I will use red pens when needed. However, as soon as the pen tip touched paper, I was sold. The burgundy ink is a true burgundy color. It is a dark red that in certain light could pass for a deep brown.

The ink flows from the pen in a thin, legible line. No false starts, no blotches, just smooth and easy writing. Where my handwriting overlaps itself, and where my hand may pause during writing, the ink is heavier and will leave a spot. The ink flow is controlled, though, since it does not fill open letters such as the letter "o". The ink is a consistent performer and does not blob at the end of the pen tip.

I can write very quickly with this pen. A feature I love is that I can write standing up without support of a tablet or flat surface. I can hold a paper in the palm of my hand and write on it with very little pressure from the G2. The ink scrolls across the page. It is much easier to write with a single piece of paper in my hand using this Pilot gel pen than with a regular ballpoint pen. I have used this pen to write on white 20-pound copier and laser paper, notepads, Post-it notes and newspaper (when I do a crossword puzzle). The gel ink does not bleed through the paper.

This ink dries quickly, but is not smear-proof as the manufacturer claims. However, if I write a word or a short line and drag my fingers across the words, the ink will smear just a bit. I hardly notice it on my fingers, which is good. But the smearing is noticeable on the white paper.

The manufacturer also says the ink is water-resistant. It is not. As an experiment, I wrote with this gel pen and let the ink sit for ten hours. Then I let one drop (one little drop) of water roll down the page across the writing. It created a lovely pinkish trail across the white page. The ink is not water-resistant.

When I press the "clicker" at the end of the pen, it produces a noticeable noise. It has a firm clicking action. The pen point retracts all the way inside the pen barrel, too.

This pen is comfortable to use, and my fingers stay in place on the rubberized grip. The ink flows so well that hardly any pressure is needed. I tend to tightly grasp pens and pencils when I write. Not so with this G2. I lightly hold the pen, and it writes well. My hand is happier, too, which means I can write for longer periods of time before experiencing hand fatigue.

Purchasing

Pilot G2 gel pens sell for about $1.95 each. This burgundy gel pen is available in either a 4-pack or an 8-pack assortment of colors.

Since the pens can be refilled, one would think the refills would be easy to locate. I have not been able to find a burgundy refill for this pen. However, red refills cost about $2.00 for a package of two.

Summary

I like the Pilot G-2 gel pen with burgundy ink. This pen makes writing easy. The color doesn’t scream “Look, I’m red.” The burgundy ink is dignified and helps my writing look elegant. I just have to be careful not to run my hand across the page, giving the ink a chance to dry. If you are in the market to try something, give this gel pen with the burgundy ink a try!

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews.

Zebra Jimnie Mechanical Pencil