Pampered Chef 1113

Pampered Chef's Garlic Slicer doesn't impress.

Sep 15, 2010

Pros:dishwasher-safe

Cons:difficult to use, not for those with arthritis, slicing by hand is easier!

The Bottom Line: If you have all day to sit around and mess with this thing, yes, you will get plenty of sliced garlic out of it.

As an Italian who uses loads of garlic in my cooking, I can appreciate the various garlic accessories that are available like garlic peelers, garlic presses, hand choppers, etc.  I've never really bothered to thinly slice my garlic when a recipe called for it, though, because I don't have the patience to sit and create wafer-thin pieces.  I normally just finely mince the garlic and call it a day.

My sister hosted a Pampered Chef party a few months ago, so I attended to hang out with everyone but didn't have the extra cash to actually start buying things.  She and my cousin (the co-host) felt so strongly about the Pampered Chef Garlic Slicer that they actually bought one for me despite my protests that I didn't need it because they loved theirs so much.  Unfortunately, I don't find this little gadget to be a must-have or even all that helpful.

About This Product

The Pampered Chef Garlic Slicer is a small kitchen gadget that is designed to thinly slice cloves of garlic with just a twist of the wrist.  This device has two pieces.  The first is a base with two blades that look like they came out of the old-school plastic pencil sharpeners I used back in the day and the second is the top which allows you to push the garlic cloves down to the blades and then spin them across the blades to create the thin slices.  The base has a plastic divider to create two separate compartments for the garlic and the top has a slice in the middle to allow it to fit onto the base and press down the cloves.  Both pieces can be cleaned in the dishwasher and this Garlic Slicer costs $14.50 at Pampered Chef parties and through the company web site.

My Experience

I received my Pampered Chef Garlic Slicer four months ago and it collected dust in my kitchen cabinet for the past 3 and a half of them.  I'm so used to just substituting chopped garlic that I never felt a burning need to use it.  Finally, a couple of weeks ago I felt guilty for letting it collect dust and decided to check out this Garlic Slicer.

I decided to follow the directions for Carmine's Pasta Pomodoro and use this Pampered Chef product to create the thin slices of garlic that the recipe required.  I didn't know how smashed garlic cloves (place it under the side of a chef's knife and pop your fist down to make the skin easy to remove) would do in this Pampered Chef Garlic Slicer, so I took a lot of time to peel most of them by hand so as to keep the whole cloves intact.

I followed the instructions to put only 2 cloves per side in this device, put the top into place, started turning it... and nothing happened.  I was disappointed, but started to put a little muscle into it and noticed that there were some garlic slices that were coming out of the bottom of the base.  The problem was that I must have slept in a funny position and my right wrist was exceptionally sore, so it was difficult to get the cloves sliced... especially as I had like 12 of them to get through.  This Pampered Chef slicer definitely isn't something that those with arthritis or carpal tunnel will want to use.  It took about half an hour to get all of the garlic sliced which was just ABSURD! I could finely chop up the same amount by hand in 5 minutes and with a hand-chopper in 2.

I did also slice up a few garlic cloves that I had peeled by using the knife-smash method.  Honestly, they were just as difficult to slice with this Pampered Chef Garlic Slicer as the whole cloves were.  Bottom line, this thing is really a pain in the behind and more hassle than it is worth.

Overall Opinion

My sister and cousin swear up and down that they can't survive without their Pampered Chef Garlic Slicers, but I've discovered that I am perfectly fine without it.  Trying to get cloves of garlic sliced up with this thing is a major and time-consuming chore.  Thus far I've done just fine by substituting chopped garlic for sliced garlic, but if I felt a recipe really required sliced garlic... I'd just sit down and to it by hand because it would be much easier than trying to use this product.

Pampered Chef Family Heritage Stoneware Mini Fluted Pan

Pampered Chef Family Heritage Stoneware Mini Fluted Pan

BRAND NEW IN ORIGINAL BOX Pampered Chef Family Heritage Stoneware Mini Fluted Pan by The Pampered Chef Includes Use and Care/Recipe information in Eng...

Pampered Chef Tie-its--new

Pampered Chef Tie-its--new

You are purchasing Pampered Chef Tie-Its. These are very handy to have around the house.I will usually ship within 1 business day of cleared payment.C...

Pampered Chef Dots 3 Section Server, Fine China Dinnerware - Multicolor Dots On Edge

Pampered Chef - Pampered Chef Dots 3 Section Server - Multicolor Dots On Edge
Replacements, Ltd.

Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl

Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl

Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl.

Pampered Chef Fluted Pan

Pampered Chef Fluted Pan

PAMPERED CHEF FLUTED PAN 49.99 PAMPERED CHEF FLUTED PAN STONEWARE CLASSIC 1440 NEW IN THE BOX

Pampered Chef Petite Bar Board--new

Pampered Chef Petite Bar Board--new

You are purchasing a new Pampered Chef petite bar board. Please note that this is the petite board, not the full-size board. If you want more informat...

Pampered Chef Dots Glassware Martini, Fine China Dinnerware - Multicolor Dots On Edge

Pampered Chef - Pampered Chef Dots Glassware Martini - Multicolor Dots On Edge
Replacements, Ltd.

Pampered Chef simple Additions Small Bowl Caddy - Brand

Pampered Chef simple Additions Small Bowl Caddy - Brand

This Pampered Chef Small Bowl Caddy was only out of the box for the purpose of photographing for this listing, and is brand new, never used. It includ...

Pampered Chef Anniversary Heart Cookie Mold Valentines Present

Pampered Chef Anniversary Heart Cookie Mold Valentines Present

Pampered Chef Anniversary Heart Stoneware Cookie Mold. RETIRED from 2000.You are bidding on ONE(1) Pampered Chef HEART COOKIE MOLD, in unused, new wit...

Pampered Chef Small Flexible Cutting Boards--new

Pampered Chef Small Flexible Cutting Boards--new

You are purchasing new Pampered Chef small flexible cutting boards. Please note that these are the small boards, not the full-size boards. If you want...