Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS1/DMC-TZ6 10.1 MP Digital Camera - Silver
(2 Epinions reviews)
Excellent point and shoot
Oct 14, 2010
Review by sfoltz
Rated a Helpful Review
I bought this camera after checking out reviews for weeks.
Recommend this product?
My primary reasons for choosing the ZS1 were:
- 12X Zoom (3-5X just doesn't cut it).
- Image Stabilzation (a big zoom is almost worthless w/o it on a P&S).
- Battery life (very good).
- Heft and feel are good while being very portable.
- Leica lens (among the best available).
- Burst mode limited only by card speed and capacity.
- Large selection of program modes for nighttime, fireworks, etc.
- Manual selection of ISO mode and limited shutter speeds.
My only gripes are:
- Are a complete lack of manual settings for f-stops and aperture and no RAW data mode.
- On the ZS1 the pixel count is much less so it is hard to see what you are shooting in bright light. The ZS3 nearly doubles the pixels and is much easier to use for shot framing.
- Intelligent mode work quite well, but quite often picks too slow a shutter speed. One almost has to use Sports scene mode in order to catch any kind of movement.
- Lack of a viewfinder. I find this disorienting and maybe I just need to get used to it, but when trying to shoot a moving or distant object, it is much like trying to find an object through binoculars. I've missed many shots because I couldn't orient the view quickly enough.
- The mode dial moves far too easily out of position.
- Very vivid and sharp pictures, especially in macro and portrait modes. However, shooting in limited light often results in grainy images when using Intelligent mode.
- Extremely useful wide aperture; great for scenic and tall object photos.
- Very useful panoramic assist mode. A translucent image of the previous shot's corsponding edge is superimposed on what you see in real time.
- Very easy to attach and download photos to your PC and uses standard SDHC Flash memory cards.
Do not buy this or any camera similar to it with the intention of using it as a mini Digital SLR; it's not.
For portraits, group shots, scenic shots, very good macros and spur of the moent pictures, these camera types are fine. They just don't have the flexibility one needs to really fine tune and take pictures that will truly satisfy the photography enthusiast on a regular basis. However, the Lumix DMCs are excellent examples of reasonable compromise and superior engineering.
Read all comments (1)
Amount Paid (US$): 179.00
This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Easy Enough for Anyone to Use
Share this product review with your friends
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1MP Digital Camera, With Free $ 50 Gift Card The LUMIX FZ200 is Panasonic's first digital compact camera to offer the inc...
capture blur-free images in low light with fast leica lens optics shoot high-quality images with large size 10.1 mp mos sensor create dramatic backg...
New 1/1.7 10.1MP MOS Sensor, Venus Engine Image Processor, Leica Vario-Summilux 24-90mm f/1.4 Lens, 3.8 Optical Zoom Lens, 3.0 920K-Dot LCD with Auto ...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 10.1 Megapixel Compact Camera - White
Search our eBay Store! Order Toll Free (800) 991-3350 International (631) 389-2138 Essentials Bundle for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Digital Camera with...
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS40/ TZ60 Digital Camera with Viewfinder (Black) + Accessory Bundle
The LUMIX FZ200 is Panasonic's first digital compact camera to offer the incredible advantages of a full range F2.8 aperture across the entire 24x zoo...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Only, Black Panasonic is proud to introduce a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera DMC-GH3...