Patanol 0.1% 1 X 5ml Bottle

Patanol for Itchy Eyes

May 6, 2008

Pros:Used to work great, don't sting my eyes, sterile drops

Cons:They aren't working for me this year

The Bottom Line: I used to get relief from Patanol, but am not finding that the case today. It has done little for my itchy eyes. They might work for you.

My Dr. tells me it's been a bad start to the allergy season here in Alaska. We have a lot of dust, now that the snow has melted, partly from the roads being sanded during the icy winter.

When my eyes start itching, there isn't much that will help, other than eye drops that contain an antihistamine. I found Visine a few years ago, and they do make a formula containing an antihistamine, but my Dr. prescribed me Patanol last summer, and the bottle is still good, it doesn't expire until 2009. I just took some to relieve my right eye, which is driving me crazy with the itching sensation.

Description

Patanol comes in a tiny white bottle with a blue and green label. It only measures 2 1/4" tall, and only contains 5ml of Olopatadine Hydrochloride, in a 0.1% solution.

The cap has a safety seal which needs to be peeled away before you can unscrew it. The contents are sterile.

There are no directions printed on the bottle, it refers you to the enclosed insert. It's common use is as an antihistamine to prevent itching of the eyes due to allergies.

Thoughts

I have had real problems with Visine A stinging my eyes when I apply it, so I love that Patanol is very gentle and causes no stinging, even when my eyes are irritated.

I hate eye drops, but my husband taught me the easiest way to apply them, and now it's no big deal. I tip my head back with my eyes closed. Then I drop the medicine into the little pouch at the corner of my eye, and when I open my eyes the drops gently slide into place.

The insert says to remove excess drops with a tissue, you should be careful not to touch the eyes with your hands. If you do get any of the Patanol drops on your hands, you are directed to wash them.

To prevent contamination, you need to take care not to touch the tip of the bottle to your eye area, or any other surface for that matter. It should be stored at room temperature, and I usually have a bottle in my purse, in the motorhome, in my golf bag, and in both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms.

Our health insurance pays for a 3 month supply of any prescription medication for only $12.00, and that amounts to a lot of bottles of Patanol. I usually clear out the stock at my pharmacy! They sure are handy to have in numerous places though, I never know when I'll need them.

Aside from the fact that the Patanol drops don't sting, they really aren't much more effective than my Visine A drops (with the antihistamine), except Visine A costs $7 a bottle, and I can get the Patanol much much cheaper.

I used Patanol all last summer with pretty good results, but it doesn't seem to be as effective today, and my bottle hasn't expired. I applied this to my right eye about 30 minutes ago, right after I got back from walking my daycare children to their bus stop, and my right eye still itches!

I am going to call my Dr. and ask her to perscribe another brand of antihistamine eye drops and see if they work any better. I don't know why these have worked in the past, but aren't working now. This leaves me in a quandry about how to rate these. I have had good results with them, but now they aren't helping me when I need it the most. I think I will rate them 3 stars, right in the middle. If your insurance covers Patanol, it might not cost you much to find out if these work for you. Ask you Dr. about Patanol when you visit him with your allergy problems.

Lulu Guinness Parfum Mini 0.17oz / 5ml Pure Perfume Miniature Bottle In Box

Lulu Guinness Parfum Mini 0.17oz / 5ml Pure Perfume Miniature Bottle In Box

finegift Store LULU GUINNESS Parfum mini 0.17oz / 5ml pure perfume miniature bottle new in box Click to view supersized image Cute mini perfume bottle...

Mark 3 - Tray Adhesive 10ml Bottle

Mark 3 - Tray Adhesive 10ml Bottle

Mark 3 - Tray adhesive 10ml Bottle U.S LISTING Description: VPS Tray Adhesive w/ Applicator - 10 ml. Helps VPS material to adhere to impression trays....

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss 50ml/1.7oz Boss Bottled Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss 50ml/1.7oz Boss Bottled Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$60.00 - Boss Bottled Eau De Toilette Spray-50ml/1.7oz - perfume / fragrance for men
StrawberryNET.com

5 Glass Perfume & Oil Bottles Roll-on 30ml / 1oz Great For Travel Lk

5 Glass Perfume & Oil Bottles Roll-on 30ml / 1oz Great For Travel Lk

5 NEW GLASS PERFUME OIL BOTTLES ROLL-ON 30ml / 1oz GREAT FOR TRAVEL l@@k !!! THIS AUCTION IS FOR 5 BOTTLES WITH ROLLERS CAPS CHECK OUT MY STORE FOR LA...
Lolita Lempicka Mens Cologne 5 Ml Bottle

Lolita Lempicka Mens Cologne 5 Ml Bottle

Lolita Lempicka MENS Cologne 5 mL bottle NEW Please be advised that under no conditions do we ever sell fakes, knockoffs or imitations. All of our ite...

Boss Bottled Night By Hugo Boss Edt 100ml In Box

Boss Bottled Night By Hugo Boss Edt 100ml In Box

raman89 Store Boss Bottled Night BY Hugo Boss EDT 100ml NEW IN BOX Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss 100 ml / 3.3 fl oz EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY BOTTLE ORI...

4 X 15ml Bottles, Tamper Proof Cap, Aromatherapy, Amber, Euro Dropper

4 X 15ml Bottles, Tamper Proof Cap, Aromatherapy, Amber, Euro Dropper

4 x 15ml Amber Glass bottles. Orifice Reducer, Tamper Proof Caps, Amber Glass Bottles with Tamper Evident Euro Dropper Lids. Black Tamper evident Caps...

Boss Bottled Unlimited by Hugo Boss 50ml/1.6oz Boss Bottled Unlimited Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$70.00 - Boss Bottled Unlimited Eau De Toilette Spray-50ml/1.6oz - perfume / fragrance for men
StrawberryNET.com

Peruvian Agua de Florida - Flower Water 70 ml bottle

Peruvian Agua de Florida - Flower Water 70 ml bottle

A cologne used in South America by shamans for cleansing, healing, ritual feeding and flowering. Offered here in the small 70 ml bottles. Great size f...
ShamansMarket.com