Paul Mitchell Firm Style Dry Wax (144973) Reviews

Paul Mitchell Firm Style Dry Wax (144973)

+$3.99 shipping My Beauty Buy
+$4.99 shipping SleekHair.com

The dry wax that angered me to the max!

Mar 10, 2007

Pros:Pleasant scent

Cons:Extremely sticky, flaky, build up is awful, oh and everything else!!

The Bottom Line: This Paul Mitchell product was a huge disappointment. I am definitely giving this wax an enthusiastic two thumbs down!

On a day when I was out and about, I drove by a Super Cuts and figured I'd stop and get my hair trimmed. It wasn't my normal salon but the work I needed was minimal.

My very curly hair always causes stylists to try to get me to buy certain products that they are sure will tame my locks. I should have known not to follow the advice of a just graduated Super Cuts stylist but I did and that's why I purchased the Paul Mitchell Dry Wax 1.8 Ounce for $12.99. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Manufacturer and Product Info

The Paul Mitchell Dry Wax 1.8 Ounce comes in a round black and white plastic jar with the signature Paul Mitchell markings. There is a screw cap for easy opening and closing. The product itself is a very thick, hard, white, and sticky substance that has to be scooped out by hand.

The manufacturer claims that this Dry Wax is for all hair types and creates a "lived-in" look with a fresh finish. This firm hold style dry wax is great for texture and definition. It contains the finest ingredients and activated shine blend of chamomile, henna, rosemary, aloe vera and jojoba.

Directions

Apply a small amount to finger tips and work through finished style

My Experience

I am not quite sure where to start with this one. I can tell you right off the bat that this product is the absolute worst hair styling product I have ever used. I am not sure if it is just simply my hair type or the style I tried to create with this wax but I had a horrible experience with it. The light floral scent is pleasant but is pretty much about the only good thing I can say about this product.

I washed, conditioned and towel dried my hair as usual and then attempted to apply the dry wax to my hair. Attempted being the key word. This is where my irritation with this product began. I reached into the container with my fingers and the sticky, hard wax got under my fingernails. Once I was over the ick factor, I began to do what the directions said and "work it through" my hair. WORK IT THROUGH my hair??? That was nearly impossible. I swear, it was like applying super glue to my hair. I seriously felt relieved to get my hand back out of my hair without pulling a chunk of it out with it. I know I sound dramatic here but if you read my other reviews, you will know drama is not in my nature. This actually did happen exactly as described. I mean, come on! Firm hold is fine but can they wait until my hand is removed at least. Sheesh.

Once the product was in my hair, I could literally see small clumps of the white wax in spots. I did my best to pull them out but then the strand of hair that was originally curly became pin straight and stuck straight up in the air. Sure, laugh. Go ahead. lol. Someone should because at that point. I was not laughing - I was pretty much using words that were rated R.

I had to immediately wash my hair again. The wax was extremely difficult to wash out. I had to wash my hair once, comb through, and wash it again. Finally, I was free of whatever concoction that I had on my head.

I called Super Cuts a few days later and explained what had happened and was told that the stylist who cut my hair was no longer there but I could bring the product back in for a full refund. If I had only waited a few more days to get my hair cut, I could have avoided the whole experience all together.

I have one last thing to comment on and that would be the manufacturer claim that the wax creates a "lived-in" look. Seriously, what does that even mean? If anyone can explain, please fill me in.

My Final Thoughts

I had a terrible experience with this product. The only positive thing I can say about it is that ummm, the scent is pleasant?? Oh, and I was refunded my money for it. I would not recommend it and I honestly have no choice but to give this product a 1 star rating.

If you are interested in reading some of my other hair care product reviews which I had better luck with, simply click these links:
Catwalk Shiner and Defrizzer
Aussie Shine Hair Spray
Sunsilk Hydra 24/7 Crème
Sunsilk Hydra TLC Shampoo
Garnier Fructis Cream Conditioner
Frizz-Ease Downplay Volume Reducer

Paul Mitchell's Firm Style Dry Wax is a lightweight styler that you apply to dry hair and get an all day hold with increased shine.
My Beauty Buy
Get a clean texture and definition for all hair types. Achieves a lived-in look with a fresh finish. Won't revert curl. Non-oily cosmetic wax provides...
SleekHair.com
Paul Mitchell BARBER'S CLASSIC SIZE:3 OZ CONDITION: NEW / UNUSED ACTUAL ITEM SHOWN IN PHOTO PRICE: $16.94 FREE SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES!...

Top beautogen  ( )  aBOUT Us aLL LISTINGS faq CONTACT US Search Search HAIR CARE SKIN CARE bath and body Brands fragrances lotions Gift Sets OTHER PAU...
DRY WAX FIRM HOLD 1.8 OZ for UNISEX
FragranceNet
--- Select Brand --- Avent Braun Carlson CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Inf...
Paul Mitchell Dry Wax Firm Hold 1.8 oz Comes Brand new, 100% Authentic no knockoff!
PAUL MITCHELL by Paul Mitchell Dry Wax Firm Hold 1.8 Oz Features Dry Wax Firm Hold 1.8 Oz Details Brand: Paul Mitchell Manufacturer: Paul Mitchell Num...