Payless Car Rental

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Be Careful with Payless at San Francisco Airport

May 9, 2011

Pros:a little bit less expensive than others

Cons:offsite unlike almost every other SFO car renter, and they charge you for the shuttle!

The Bottom Line: If you're flying into San Francisco don't use Payless car rental.  Pay just a few bucks more and avoid the Payless hassles - that you have to pay for!

This review is specifically to warn potential customers of Payless at San Francisco Airport.  Not saying not to rent from them, but you should know that it won't be the same as any other car rental company at that airport.  (Ace may be another exception - Ace and Payless are the only ones that aren't in the car rental building.)

There are about a dozen rent-a-car companies at SFO that are all in one (very convenient) building not far from the airport and pretty easily accessible with the AirTrain train.   An exception is Payless.  The problem is that when you rent your car you aren't warned of this.  It's easy to make a mistake and not figure out where the Payless counter is until you ask at an information desk at the airport.  In my case I should have asked when I got to the car rental building - the shuttle to Payless is FROM the car rental building.  You just have to know.  I understand that this is explained overhead on the AirTrain train, but I didn't hear it.

Payless charges a "transportation fee!"  $20 to take you to and from the car rental building.  Not only do you have the additional inconvenience, but you HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!  Hard to believe.  They are planning to move to a new location even farther from the airport in Burlingame.  Will they still transport you back via the car rental building?  I hope not.  That's ridiculous.  They probably will do their own transportation to the terminals.  This would be an improvement as you won't need to transfer to AirTrain.  Will they charge a "transportation fee"?  Of course they will.

Ads by Google