Pediacare Long Lasting Cough Plus Cold for Children Grape Flavor Liquid 4oz

We All Get to Sleep When PediaCare is on Call

Dec 17, 2003

Pros:lets everyone sleep through the night, can take with bronchitis, okay for 2 years+

Cons:a little slow to work, does stain clothes

The Bottom Line: great long-lasting cough medicine for kids as young as 2 years; good taste; get some sleep already!!

Thank goodness for PediaCare! After trying different products throughout my daughter's 2.5 years, I've come to trust and rely on Motrin and PediaCare. I keep my medicine cabinet stocked with a selection of their products, and I'm armed for anything. It's much easier to be armed for anything once they turn two, though, and don't require 'the advice of a pediatrician' for every medicinal dosage.

We recently graduated from the PediaCare infants decongestant and cough drops. We ran out of them, she's two, the infant bottles are small, and I'd rather buy bigger bottles that don't run out so fast. The Children's PediaCare Long Lasting Cough Plus Cold Liquid gives you dosing information starting with 2 year olds (yeah!), so I made the switch. Besides that, the infant drops I was using were really good for four hours of relief, but we wanted to sleep ALL night long, thank you very much. The specific nighttime cold medicine made by PediaCare started the dosing information at 6 years, so that's another reason I picked this particular product instead.

So, on to this product. It takes longer to work than the infant's decongestant and cough drops--at least 30 minutes to quiet coughs. But once it starts working, WHAM! Those coughs are GONE. We slept the whole night the first night we gave our daughter this, after not sleeping for several nights. What a relief.

When I took her to the doctor because of conjunctivitis a few days later, it turned out that she also had bronchitis (oops, new mom learning). But that goes to show how much this stuff works. It stops the coughs of bronchitis even!!! To my relief, it is okay to use with bronchitis (not so embarrassed now) because it is not an anti-histamine, just a cough suppressant and a decongestant. So it keeps everything in the chest loosened up (anti-histamines apparently make things tighten up and are not good to take if you have bronchitis, according to the doctor). Bonus discovery (and bonus relief).

The flavor must be good, as my daughter willingly opens her mouth to take it. It smells really good, like Dimetapp or any other grape flavored medicine. It is not clear, however, so it will stain (unlike the cherry flavored infant's decongestant and cough drops we just 'outgrew').

This product has the same active ingredients as the PediaCare infant's decongestant and cough drops, Dextromethorphan HBr (cough suppressant) and Pseudoephedrine HCl (nasal decongestant), but in different amounts than the infant's drops. The infant's drops have 2.5 mg dextromethorpan HBr and 7.5 mg pseudoephedrine HCl per 0.8 mL, and a 2 year old takes a 1.6 mL dose (so 5 mg dextromethorphan HBr and 15 mg pseudoephedrine HCl per dose).

The children's long-acting cough plus cold liquid has 7.5 mg dexto. and 15 mg pseudo. per 5 mL, and a 2 year old takes a 5 mL dose (so 7.5 mg dextro. and still 15 mg pseudo. per dose). In other words, 1.5 times more cough suppression with the same amount of nasal decongestion per dose. You can repeat the dose as needed every 6-8 hours, as needed (hey, 6 hours is 1.5 times 4 hours--1.5 times more cough suppression--I'm getting this!!!!).

You can give up to 4 doses a day, but I've never given more than 3, as I find it works for 8 hours easily. This product comes with a plastic measuring cup for dispensing, although I use a medicine dropper (one of those miniature turkey basters, basically). The dosing chart on the bottle goes from 2 years to 11 years, with kids either getting 1 or 2 teaspoons (5 or 10 mL).

There is no alcohol in this product and no sleepiness results, but since the cough quiets down, the ability to sleep increases (yeah!!). Inactive ingredients are citric acid, corn syrup, FD&C blue no. 1 and red no. 40, flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, and sorbitol.

You'd definitely be able to tell if your bottle had been tampered with, as it comes in a sealed box, and the bottle has an imprinted plastic wrap over the bottle and overturned plastic dosing cup on top of the cap. After you take off the plastic wrap (easy to do), and take off the childproof cap, there is a foil seal across the top of the bottle. I just puncture it with my medicine dropper, which just fits into the neck of the bottle. The bottle has 4 oz (120 mL), so it will last a while (24 doses for a 2 year old). That's a whole lot better than the infant's drops, which just lasted 9 doses a bottle for a 2 year old!

I have yet to see any side effects, unless you count a good night's sleep for the whole family a side effect!!

Pediacare Children's Cherry Flavor Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever Cherry Plus Cough & Runny Nose, 4 oz

Pediacare Children's Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever for Sore Throat, Cough & Runny Nose provides effective relief for your children's cough, cold or alle...

Pediacare Children's Cherry Flavor Fever Reducer/pain Reliever Cherry Plus 4 Oz

Pediacare Children's Cherry Flavor Fever Reducer/pain Reliever Cherry Plus 4 Oz

Pediacare Children's Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever for Sore Throat, Cough Runny Nose provides effective relief for your children's cough, cold or allerg...

PediaCare Multi-Symptom Cold Plus Acetaminophen Liquid, Grape Flavor 4 oz by Pediacare

Pediacare Gentle Vapors Refill Pads For Plug-in Unit And Nightlight- 5 Count

Pediacare Gentle Vapors Refill Pads For Plug-in Unit And Nightlight- 5 Count

New PediaCare Gentle Vapors Refill Pads- 5 Count Product Description Refill pads for your PediaCare Gentle Vapors Plug-In Unit. Non-medicated vapors p...

PediaCare Gentle Vapors Plug-in Unit- 5 Refill Pads

PediaCare Gentle Vapors Plug-in Unit- 5 Refill Pads

PediaCare Gentle Vapors Plug-in Refill
American Drug Supply Store
Pediacare Infant Ibuprofen Dye Free Pain Reliever Fever Reducer 0.5 Ounce

Pediacare Infant Ibuprofen Dye Free Pain Reliever Fever Reducer 0.5 Ounce

Pediacare Infants Ibuprofen Dye Free Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer 0.5 Fl Oz. DyeFree Berry Flavor. Lasts up to 8 hours. Infants ages 6 23 months
Toys R Us

Pediacare Gentle Vapors

Pediacare Gentle Vapors

Pediacare Gentle Vapors.Vapor-Plug unit and Nightlight mini waterless vaporizer.Non-medicated vapors provide soothing comfort for your child.Up to 8-h...

Pediacare Children's Grape Flavor Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever Plus Multi-Sympton Cold, 4 oz

When your little one is feeing sick, help him feel better fast with Pediacare Multi-Symptom Cold Plus Fever Reducer/Pain Reliever. It brings down high...

Pediacare Gentle Vapors Plug-In Unit & Nightlight Refill Pads, 5ct

Pediacare Gentle Vapors Plug-In Unit & Nightlight Refill Pads, 5ct

Non-medicated vapors provide soothing comfort for your child.

Pediacare Infant Dye Free Fever Reducer - Pain Reliever, Bubble Gum Flavor, 2 F

Pediacare Infant Dye Free Fever Reducer - Pain Reliever, Bubble Gum Flavor, 2 F

Pediacare Infant Dye Free Fever Reducer - Pain Reliever, Bubble Gum Flavor, 2 Fluid Ounce For over 25 years, parents and pediatricians have relied on ...