Pedialyte Reviews

Pedialyte

Too Bad PediaLyte Contains Junk!!!

Jun 7, 2001

Pros:Tastes good-my son loved the popsicles.

Cons:Full of artificial sweetener, aspartame, which causes even more tummy trouble.

The Bottom Line: Kids will love PediaLyte's delicious flavor, and adults will love it's results. It contains a harmful, yet common chemical, though, so be careful!!

As a toddler, my son was stricken with Rotovirus. We don't know where he got it from or how he got it, but he was up 4 nights in a row, screaming with painful diarrhea. It was heartbreaking for me, as a rookie mom, to see my son suffer. He couldn't even eat.

A quick trip to the doctor revealed a diagnosis of this common form of contagious diarrhea, and our son being put on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast). Our doctor also recommended Gatorade or PediaLyte. I thought, "Oh, PediaLyte!!! I remember all those cute, little commercials!!! I'll try that!!!" I went to the store at 2 a.m., and found that the freezer pops seemed most affordable. I got a package of 8 for $4.39. I prayed these would give my son back his much needed electrolytes, because he was becoming dehydrated.

It didn't take much for me to get my son to eat the freezer pops. One taste, and he was hooked. I tried a little bite for myself to see if they were good. PediaLyte is, indeed, very tasty and sweet, and they come in a variety of yummy flavors. No wonder the kiddies on the commercial beg for "More PediaLyte!!!" And it seemed to fulfill it's duty as an effective electrolyte replacement.

After finishing the box off, though, I was horrified to discover that PediaLyte is filled with the artificial sweetener, aspartame. That's the last thing I would want to put in my son's body. Many people are unaware that aspartame happens to be well-known for causing painful throat irritation, stomach upset, and has been rumored to be linked to certain types of cancers (after long-time use, of course.) I suffer greatly from painful bloating even after chewing an aspartame-sweetened piece of gum.

I felt like a terrible mom for not even checking on what I was giving my son. I would rather have given him a remedy containing real sugar over any terrible chemical anyday. That's when I decided we'd never use PediaLyte again. It's unfortunate that kids love it so much and it's harmful to their health!!

Again, PediaLyte does the job it's supposed to, but it can actually cause more tummyache for your child after it's use. I'd stick to Gatorade, simply for the fact that it's sweet enough to be enjoyable for little ones, and it has a relatively low sugar content. With Gatorade, you won't see the side effects from pumping your child full of the chemical aspartame, which is, in my opinion, extremely harmful.

Pedialyte Fruit, 1-L bottle

Pedialyte Fruit, 1-L bottle

Unlike sports drinks, juice, or soda, Pedialyte contains just enough sugar in balance with sodium to promote absorption and help replenish more of wha...

Pedialyte Freezer Pops Oral Electrolyte Solution 48 Total Exp 6/2015

Pedialyte Freezer Pops Oral Electrolyte Solution 48 Total Exp 6/2015

Pedialyte Freezer Pops Oral Electrolyte Solution 48 Total EXP 6/2015 All items ship within 24 hours Please email us with any questions!

3 Boxes Of Pedialyte Oral Electrolyte Powder-8 Packets Each- Dehydration-10/2015

Pedialyte Oral Electrolyte Powder 3 boxes of 8 packets each = 32 packets; each packet makes 8 ounces Helps prevent dehydration due to diarrhea and vom...