Pedigree Good Bites Hip & Joint Grilled Steak Flavor Snack Food for All Sized Adult Dogs, 5-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 10)

Much Ado About a Dog Treat

Jan 23, 2010 (Updated Jan 24, 2010)

Pros:Not too expensive
That tempting grilled steak flavor

Cons:Some questionable ingredients

The Bottom Line:

Certainly not near the top of our snack list, but these are tolerable.

Good Bites snack food already has a good track record with our girls so when I got another dollar off coupon, I figured we'd try another type of Good Bites.

Good Bites come in five recipes: Oral Care, Hip & Joint, Senior, Multi-vitamin, and Skin & Coat. I chose the Hip and Joint because Evie has issues with her hips and is already on a daily regimen of glucosamine/chondroitin.

Good Bites snacks are made by Pedigree, the company that also brings us DentaStix, Jumbone, Breathbuster, Dentabone,  and  Marrobone. The first few ingredients of Pedigree kibble would indicate that the company's products are mainstream supermarket fare, not premium stuff for fussy owners and their pooches.  "Ground Whole Corn, Chicken By-product Meal, Ground Wheat, Meat And Bone Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA/BHT), Wheat Flour, Rice, Lamb, Corn Gluten Meal, Natural Flavor, Salt,..." Note how far down on the list LAMB is in this lamb and rice kibble.

Ingredients: Good Bites Hip and Joint

Ground Whole Corn, Rice, Chicken By-product Meal (natural source of Glucosamine & Chondroitin), Wheat Flour, Animal Fat, Sufficient water for processing, Corn Gluten Meal, Salmon Meal, Chicken Cartilage (natural Source Of Glucosamine & Chondroitin), Gelatin, Ground Flax Seed, Natural Grilled Steak Flavor, Vegetable Oil (source of Linoleic Acid), Natural Poultry Flavor, Rice Hulls, Caramel Color, Salt, Lecithin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Turmeric, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Added FD&C and Lake Colors (Yellow 6, Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5), Iron Oxide, Vitamins (dl-alpha Tocopherol Acetate [source Of Vitamin E], L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of Vitamin C], Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin D3 Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Biotin, Choline Chloride), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Potassium Iodide), Marigold Extract, Naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols.

Here are the first few ingredients of the oral care formula. There isn't much of a difference other than the order indicating ratio of ingredients.
Ground Whole Corn, Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Wheat Flour, Sufficient Water For Processing, Animal Fat (Source Of Meaty Flavor), Corn Gluten Meal, Natural Poultry Flavor, Rice Hulls, Powdered Cellulose, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Yeast

Also the first few ingredients of Multi-Vitamin Good Bites is remarkably similar.
Ground Whole Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Rice, Wheat Flour, Sufficient Water For Processing, Animal Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Natural Beef Flavor, Natural Poultry Flavor...

Note that all three formulas begin with ground whole corn have chicken-by-product meal in the top three. The ingredient list for Hip and Joint points out that in this particular formula chicken-by-product meal is a good source of  glucosamine and chondroitin. Looks fishy to me. Also note that neither glucosamine nor chondroitin are listed in the ingredients, only "good sources". This is not surprising because of the cost of both supplements.

According to the feeding guide, dogs over 25 pounds can get up to 10 pieces a day. With three dogs in our household one bag won't last long following those guidelines.

Features:
Grilled  steak flavor (The multi-vitamin treats have savory beef flavor.)
45 bire-sized pieces (I should have counted them.)
Contains natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin to help maintain healthy joints and mobility
Not suitable for puppies
Delicious
Perfect for multiple treating occasions
For all sized adult dogs
Nutritionally complete and balanced for adult dogs. ( I tried to balance them on my finger and on their edges, but they kept falling over.)

Observations in the Spudman Industries Test Kitchen

The bright orange package opens easily and seals tightly with the zip top that almost all snacks have these days.
It's a fairly large snack, about one inch square and puffy because it is stuffed with a doggy surprise, sort of like a piece of dry canine ravioli.
The girls always know something is up when I introduce a new snack, and this time was no exception. I placed a Good Bite in each dog's dish mixed with several other types of snacks. Both test subjects immediately examined the Good Bite, crunched it down happily, and silently asked for another. I complied with their ensemble request.

The next morning our taste test was repeated with a repetition of the previous day's enthusiastic results. I thought the Good Bite might be too large for picky Piper who likes her snacks in small bites. Even Piper took a whole Good Bite. She carried hers off to a private dining spot under the table as if it were a prize and happily devoured her crunchy snack.

Finally ;

There's no doubt our girls like these snacks quite a bit. Good Bites might become effective bribery treats. The ingredients don't conform to our normal snack standards, but an occasional bending of the rules does happen. We try to avoid any wheat content with Evie, but wheat is the fifth ingredient in this snack and so far Evie's had no negative reactions to her two daily Good Bites.
The amount of glucosamine and chondroitin in the product and the consistency of amount seems hard to pin down although the 400mg printed on the package must be for the entire bag of treats.  We already give Evie a good quality, daily glucosamine supplement so the amount of glucosamine in these treats is for us a non issue.
To me the different Good Bites formulas are a bit gimmicky because the ingredients in all of them don't differ very much.

Our dogs, however, love these things The snack snob part of me awards Good Bites three stars, but since both   dogs give it five, we'll compromise and go with a four star rating.

If your vet does recommend supplementing your dog's diet with glucosamine, don't rely on a treat like this. Buy a good quality supplement. The one we chose for Evie has worked wonders and will be the topic of a future review.

Pedigree Good Bites Hip and Joint Snack Food for Dogs, 6.7-Ounce (Pack of 5) by Pedigree [Foods]

Pedigree Good Bites Hip and Joint Snack Food for Dogs, 6.7 Ounce (Pack of 10)
Pedigree Good Bites Hip and Joint Snack Food for Dogs, 6.7 Ounce (Pack of 10) by Mars Petcare [Pet Supplies]