Pentax K K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera - Red (Kit w/ AL 18-55mm Lens) Reviews

Pentax K K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera - Red (Kit w/ AL 18-55mm Lens)

A great introduction into DSLR's.

Nov 29, 2009

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Great DSLR at a great price.  It shoots as well as the Nikon/Canon competiton.

Cons:Skimps alittle in specs and is not weatherproof.

The Bottom Line: I recommend this camera for most people because it takes great pix and 720p video and it is idiot proof for beginners like me.

I decided that I would leave the world of point and shoots and took my photography interest to the next level.  I looked at three cameras, and while the Nikon D5000 and the Canon T1i were great, I decided that the Pentax would be my choice as a beginner.

There were several reasons.

First, the Pentax was cheaper.  It was about $50 cheaper than the Nikon and $100 less than the Canon.  I checked everywhere and could not find a better deal.  Not being an aficiando, I knew Nikon and Canon well, and while I heard of Pentax, I had no idea what their reputation was.  It also came with a carry bag for all you would ever need in a camera, including 5~6 lenses.

Second, the K-x is a great size and much smaller than the D5000.

Thirdly, the D5000 and X1i do not have autofocus in the body of the camera, it is found in the lens system.  The Pentax has an incredible 11-step focus system that will work with any lens, driving down the cost of lenses.  As a beginner, I am still in the tinkering phase so I need the camera to quickly put things in focus when I can't and it does so with a quick touch of a button.

LAstly, chaning lenses was the easiest amongst the three and since it does come with two lenses, it does make a difference.

It does have some flaws.

1. It is not weather proof.  If you are looking to take it adventure seeking, it may not last.

2. The screen is sort of small, at only 2.7 inches and unlike the Nikon D5000, it does not swivel.

3. It uses 4 AA batteries, which has a plus and negative.  The plus is that they are common and 4 lithium rechargeables can be purchased.  The con is that you have to buy them, unlike cameras that come with rechargable lithium batteries nowadays.

And how are the pictures?

They are amazing and even though I've been using it for nearly 5 weeks, I am learning new things that my old point and shoot would never have accomplished.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Easy Enough for Anyone to Use

PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit White 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens,

PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit White 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens,

Image Sensor CMOS LCD 3.0 Max. Recording Resolution 1920 x 1080 Package Type Single Lens Kit Recording Media SD / SDHC /SDXC Card USB Yes HDMI Yes Bat...
Newegg.com

Pentax Zx-60 Body & Bag

Pentax Zx-60 Body & Bag

The Pentax ZX-60 is considered by hikers as one of the best hiking cameras. This 35mm camera comes with a mirror lock up feature that lets you shoot e...

Pentax K-30 16.3MP Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Pentax K-30 16.3MP Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Find digital cameras at Target.com! The pentax k-30 is ideal for photographers with active outdoor lifestyles. The new pentax k-30 combines a compact,...

Pentax - K-S1 Digital SLR Camera Body, 20MP, LED Indicator Grip, PRIME M II Processor, 5.4

Pentax K-S1 Digital SLR Camera Body, 20MP, LED Indicator Grip, PRIME M II Processor, 5.4 Frames Continuous Shooting, Full 1080p HD Video, White The Pe...

Pentax 14MP Waterproof Action Digital Camera

Pentax 14MP Waterproof Action Digital Camera

Adventure awaits. With the Pentax WG-M1 waterproof digital action camera, you'll be taking pictures with great quality and without limits.
QVC

Pentax - K-S1 Digital SLR Camera Body, 20MP, - Bundle With Camera Holster Case, 16GB Class

Pentax K-S1 Digital SLR Camera Body, 20MP, - Bundle With Camera Holster Case, 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Spare Battery, Screen Protector, Cleaning Kit, ...

Pentax Mx-1 12mp Digital Camera 4x Optical Zoom 3 Lcd Display (silver) 12633

Pentax Mx-1 12mp Digital Camera 4x Optical Zoom 3 Lcd Display (silver) 12633

pentax mx 1 12 mp digital camera 4 x optical zoom 3 lcd display silver 12633 product features specifications in the box 12 mp 1 1.7 bsi cmos sensor sm...

PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit Black 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens,

PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit Black 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens,

PENTAX K-30 Lens Kit Black 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens, Everything You Need Kit, 15624
Newegg.com

Pentax K-S1 Digital SLR Camera Body, 20MP, LED Indicator Grip, PRIME M II Processor, 5.4 Frames Continuous Shooting, Full 1080p HD Video, Black The Pe...