Pentax OptioS Optio S 3.2 MP Digital Camera - Silver Reviews

Pentax OptioS Optio S 3.2 MP Digital Camera - Silver

Ideal for those who just want to point and click

Apr 14, 2004

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Size, ease-of-use, competitive feature list, long battery life

Cons:Small buttons, takes long to auto-focus.

The Bottom Line: Recommended for the person who just wants to take the camera out of the box and start shooting, pocketing it when done.

I picked up the Pentax Optio S on sale after Christmas to replace my trusty Canon Digital Elph S100. While the Canon had its reign as the smallest digital camera (not counting those cheap cameras with the resolution of a webcam) the Pentax is considerably smaller. You notice it in its pocketability and weight.

I'm not a serious photographer, using my digital camera only to capture pictures of friends, family and anything interesting I spot.. as well as taking pictures of things I post on eBay. The Pentax takes decent pictures without the need for me to manually adjust settings or fiddle with anything. Since I usually only post my pictures on the web or e-mail them a higher megapixel count isn't all that important to me. I was satisfied with the Canon's 2-megapixels.

Other than the size, other things I really enjoy about the Pentax over the Canon are the extra 1X zoom (3X on the Pentax), the ability to record short movies with sound (though I haven't really found a need for this feature) and, most of all, the much longer battery life. I can use this camera for several outings before having to charge the battery whereas with the Canon I had to always carry around several batteries.

Weak spots of the Pentax are its minute buttons (even with my relatively small fingers I have trouble controlling the directional button, causing me to record unwanted voice memos sometimes, accidentally deleting a photo other times) and how it at times takes too long to auto-focus before taking a picture (you basically have to hold the button down until it takes the picture... sometimes it's almost instant, sometimes it takes a few seconds).

One thing that may appear to be a weak spot is the battery/memory card cover. It's attached to the camera by flexible rubber so it seems flimsy but because it allows for so much movement you probably aren't likely to break it off.

Overall I'm quite happy with the simplicity of this camera and how it offers a decent assortment of features in such a small device.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Easy Enough for Anyone to Use

Pentax Optio T20 7MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

Pentax Optio T20 7MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

The Pentax Optio T20 is compact digital camera featuring an extremely slim body. Incorporating the Pentax-developed Sliding Lens System and an impress...
Pentax Zx-60 Body & Bag

Pentax Zx-60 Body & Bag

Pentax ZX-60 Body Only Film Camera. Bag included. Strap Included. Batteries included. Autofocus system. Built in pop-up flash.

Pentax Optio W60 10 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.5 inch LCD (Pink)

Lightweight and fully waterproof, the Optio W60 features 10 megapixels and a 5x zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle capability. The enhanced design of the ...

Pentax 16.0 MP X-5 Digital Camera; Black

Pentax 16.0 MP X-5 Digital Camera; Black

Black. 3 LCD screen, display resolution: 460000 pixel, image sensor size: 1/2.33 (0.24 x 0.18), image sensor type: CMOS
Quill.com

Pentax K-5 16.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) - Black

Pentax K-5 16.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) - Black

Go ahead and feed your photography obsession with the PENTAX K-5. For you, capturing that great shot isn't a casual interest. It's a part of your life...
Office Depot