Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry Flavor 48 Tablets Reviews

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry Flavor 48 Tablets

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets

Feb 22, 2008 (Updated Feb 22, 2008)

Pros:Convenient chewable tablets

Cons:Didn't help upset stomach, turned my tongue black

The Bottom Line: If Pepto Bismol works for you, you might want to consider these convenient chew tablets. I didn't have a good experience with them.

Growing up my mom always had a pink bottle of Pepto Bismol in the home, and I remember it working quite well for nausea. I picked up Pepto Bismol in chewable form to have on hand when my supermarket had a good sale.

I've been suffering with an upset stomach for the past three days. I tried Tums, Maalox, and Gax-X with simethicone, but non of them gave me the relief I sought. Last night at 8:00 pm I chewed two Pepti Bismol tablets and hoped for the best.

Description

Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets claim to relieve heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, nausea, and diarrhea. They come in a box containing 48, which are sealed in clear plastic sleeves. The outside of the plastic reads P-B in red letters above each tablet. They are round, measure 1/2" in diameter, with a triangular shape indentation in the middle which reads "Pepto Bismol" in tiny letters.

They are not super easy to remove, the plastic is not perforated, but it does tear easily between the tablets. I find trying to get the tablet out a bit frustrating. I prefer the push through style packaging.

Pepto Bismol can be taken before or after meals, on either an empty or full stomach.

Active ingredients

Each chewable tablet provides:

Active Ingredients: Each tablet contains:

262 mg Bismuth subsalicylate
Less than 1 mg sodium
99 mg Salicylate

Inactive Ingredients:

Adipic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, D&C Red 27 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red 40 Aluminum Lake, Flavor, Magnesium Stearate, Mannitol, Povidone, Saccharin Sodium, Talc.

Age and Dosage

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets are for adults and children 12 years and over. You can take 2 tablets every 1/2 to 1 hour as needed, depending on age. Adults: 2 tablets Children: 9 to 12: 1 tablet, 6 to 9: 2/3 tablet, 3 to 6 years: 1/3 tablet, Under 3 years ask a doctor.

Thoughts

I thought I'd like the cherry flavor, but I really like the regular taste of Pepto Bismol better, and the chewable tablets do come in the original flavor. They are quite a bit chalkier than I like, and some of this stuck in my back molars for a while, until I worked it out with my tongue.

I didn't get complete relief from the Pepto Bismol, but it did partially relieve my upset stomach. I still didn't feel completely well when I went to bed at 10:00 pm.

This morning I woke up with the worst taste in my mouth! I had terrible breath, and quickly headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I spit out my toothpaste, what went into the sink was BLACK. Oh my gosh! What was that? I stuck out my tongue and looked in the mirror and my entire tongue was black! I freaked out!! What horrible diesase did I have??!!

It took a bit of tongue brushing to get all that blackness removed, and finally my tongue looked almost normal again. The bad taste was gone, and I was headed to the computer to look up my symptoms. I had an inkling that it might be related to the Pepto Bismol, since that was the last thing I consumed before going to bed. So I went to Google and typed in "Pepto Bismol" + "black tongue". Guess what I got? Under their FAQ page it read:

"I noticed that Pepto-Bismol sometimes darkens the tongue/stool. Why does this happen and how long does it last?

The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol contains bismuth. When a small amount of bismuth combines with trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva and gastrointestinal tract, a black-colored substance (bismuth sulfide) is formed. This discoloration is temporary and harmless. It can last several days after you stop taking Pepto-Bismol. Individual bowel habits, your age (the intestinal tract slows down with age), and the amount of the product taken all help to determine how long Pepto-Bismol is in your system.

Now, it may be worse because I have been taking my MSM supplements, which are made of organic sulfur. But let me tell you, this experience is not something that I wish to repeat! Can you imagine someone chewing these in the morning and heading off to work, only to have this happen sometime during the day? When you don't have a toothbrush and toothpaste handy to take care of it? Oh my gosh!

There's not much to like about this product. It tasted bad, gave me only partial relief of my upset stomach, and left me with a bad tasting mouth and black tongue the next morning. The only good thing I can say about the product is that I give the makers, Proctor & Gamble, kudos for that foresight. All too often I've had a loose tablet of some sort end up in the bottom of my purse, or a single pill still in the wrapper left in my medicine cabinet, with no way to identify it. Once they are removed from the box, you often have no way of knowing what the medicine is.

Warnings (From their Website)

Allergy alert: Contains salicylate. Do not take if you are allergic to salicylates (including aspirin), or taking other salicylate products.

Do not use if you have an ulcer, a bleeding problem, bloody or black stool.

Ask a doctor before use if you have fever or mucus in the stool

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any drug for anticoagulation (thinning the blood), diabetes, gout, or arthritis.

Closing Thoughts

If Pepto Bismol works for you, these are a very convenient way to take them along with you. They don't crush easily, and take up much less room than a bottle of the pink stuff.

They didn't provide me enough relief to warrant my taking them again, although I will probably still give them a try the next time I experience nauses, since the liquid form always worked well for me in the past.

The 48 count box retails for around $6.50.

I give these 2 stars.

Solaray - Childrens Multi Chew Cherry 120 Chewable Tablets

Solaray - Childrens Multi Chew Cherry 120 Chewable Tablets

The Lotoons Store NEW Solaray - Childrens Multi Chew Cherry 120 chewable tablets 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE AR...

Jarrow Formulas Kids Multi Cherry Flavor 120 Chewable Tablets

Jarrow Formulas Kids Multi Cherry Flavor 120 Chewable Tablets

Kids Multi Cherry Flavor 120 Chewable Tablets. Jarrow FORMULAS KIDS Multi - The perfect multi for the perfect kid! KIDS Multi is a chewable daily comp...
PureFormulas.com

Chewable Tablets Berry 32 Count

Chewable Tablets Berry 32 Count

Airborne Chewables deliver real immune support in a convenient chewable tablet. A unique combination of 14 vitamins, minerals, and herbs, this powerfu...
Nature's Way - Primadophilus Kids Cherry - 30 Chewable Tablets LUCKY DEAL

Nature's Way - Primadophilus Kids Cherry - 30 Chewable Tablets LUCKY DEAL

Nature's Way - Primadophilus Kids Cherry - 30 Chewable Tablets Nature's Way Primadophilus Kids Chewable Cherry is designed specifically with children ...
LuckyVitamin.com

Airborne Chewable Tablets - Citrus 64 Chwbls

Airborne Chewable Tablets - Citrus 64 Chwbls

Chewable Tablets - Citrus 64 Chwbls - No water needed! Chewable Airborne Blast of Vitamin C Tablets provide the same immune support ingredients as Eff...
Swanson Health Products

Primadophilus For Kids Cherry - 30 Chewable Tablets

Primadophilus For Kids Cherry - 30 Chewable Tablets

Used To Increase Healthy Digestive Flora.
TNVitamins

Natures Plus - Animal Parade Cherry/orange/grape 180 Chewable Tablets

Natures Plus - Animal Parade Cherry/orange/grape 180 Chewable Tablets

The Lotoons Store NEW Natures Plus - Animal Parade Cherry/Orange/Grape 180 chewable tablets 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYE...

Enzymatic Therapy Tart Cherry Ultra -- 90 Chewable Tablets

Enzymatic Therapy Tart Cherry Ultra -- 90 Chewable Tablets

Tart Cherry Ultra Chewables provide potent antioxidants that support the body's natural anti-inflammatory response. The nutritious Montmorency tart ch...
Vitacost.com