Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry Flavor 48 Tablets Reviews

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry Flavor 48 Tablets

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets

Feb 22, 2008 (Updated Feb 22, 2008)

Pros:Convenient chewable tablets

Cons:Didn't help upset stomach, turned my tongue black

The Bottom Line: If Pepto Bismol works for you, you might want to consider these convenient chew tablets. I didn't have a good experience with them.

Growing up my mom always had a pink bottle of Pepto Bismol in the home, and I remember it working quite well for nausea. I picked up Pepto Bismol in chewable form to have on hand when my supermarket had a good sale.

I've been suffering with an upset stomach for the past three days. I tried Tums, Maalox, and Gax-X with simethicone, but non of them gave me the relief I sought. Last night at 8:00 pm I chewed two Pepti Bismol tablets and hoped for the best.

Description

Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets claim to relieve heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, nausea, and diarrhea. They come in a box containing 48, which are sealed in clear plastic sleeves. The outside of the plastic reads P-B in red letters above each tablet. They are round, measure 1/2" in diameter, with a triangular shape indentation in the middle which reads "Pepto Bismol" in tiny letters.

They are not super easy to remove, the plastic is not perforated, but it does tear easily between the tablets. I find trying to get the tablet out a bit frustrating. I prefer the push through style packaging.

Pepto Bismol can be taken before or after meals, on either an empty or full stomach.

Active ingredients

Each chewable tablet provides:

Active Ingredients: Each tablet contains:

262 mg Bismuth subsalicylate
Less than 1 mg sodium
99 mg Salicylate

Inactive Ingredients:

Adipic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, D&C Red 27 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red 40 Aluminum Lake, Flavor, Magnesium Stearate, Mannitol, Povidone, Saccharin Sodium, Talc.

Age and Dosage

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tablets are for adults and children 12 years and over. You can take 2 tablets every 1/2 to 1 hour as needed, depending on age. Adults: 2 tablets Children: 9 to 12: 1 tablet, 6 to 9: 2/3 tablet, 3 to 6 years: 1/3 tablet, Under 3 years ask a doctor.

Thoughts

I thought I'd like the cherry flavor, but I really like the regular taste of Pepto Bismol better, and the chewable tablets do come in the original flavor. They are quite a bit chalkier than I like, and some of this stuck in my back molars for a while, until I worked it out with my tongue.

I didn't get complete relief from the Pepto Bismol, but it did partially relieve my upset stomach. I still didn't feel completely well when I went to bed at 10:00 pm.

This morning I woke up with the worst taste in my mouth! I had terrible breath, and quickly headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I spit out my toothpaste, what went into the sink was BLACK. Oh my gosh! What was that? I stuck out my tongue and looked in the mirror and my entire tongue was black! I freaked out!! What horrible diesase did I have??!!

It took a bit of tongue brushing to get all that blackness removed, and finally my tongue looked almost normal again. The bad taste was gone, and I was headed to the computer to look up my symptoms. I had an inkling that it might be related to the Pepto Bismol, since that was the last thing I consumed before going to bed. So I went to Google and typed in "Pepto Bismol" + "black tongue". Guess what I got? Under their FAQ page it read:

"I noticed that Pepto-Bismol sometimes darkens the tongue/stool. Why does this happen and how long does it last?

The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol contains bismuth. When a small amount of bismuth combines with trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva and gastrointestinal tract, a black-colored substance (bismuth sulfide) is formed. This discoloration is temporary and harmless. It can last several days after you stop taking Pepto-Bismol. Individual bowel habits, your age (the intestinal tract slows down with age), and the amount of the product taken all help to determine how long Pepto-Bismol is in your system.

Now, it may be worse because I have been taking my MSM supplements, which are made of organic sulfur. But let me tell you, this experience is not something that I wish to repeat! Can you imagine someone chewing these in the morning and heading off to work, only to have this happen sometime during the day? When you don't have a toothbrush and toothpaste handy to take care of it? Oh my gosh!

There's not much to like about this product. It tasted bad, gave me only partial relief of my upset stomach, and left me with a bad tasting mouth and black tongue the next morning. The only good thing I can say about the product is that I give the makers, Proctor & Gamble, kudos for that foresight. All too often I've had a loose tablet of some sort end up in the bottom of my purse, or a single pill still in the wrapper left in my medicine cabinet, with no way to identify it. Once they are removed from the box, you often have no way of knowing what the medicine is.

Warnings (From their Website)

Allergy alert: Contains salicylate. Do not take if you are allergic to salicylates (including aspirin), or taking other salicylate products.

Do not use if you have an ulcer, a bleeding problem, bloody or black stool.

Ask a doctor before use if you have fever or mucus in the stool

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any drug for anticoagulation (thinning the blood), diabetes, gout, or arthritis.

Closing Thoughts

If Pepto Bismol works for you, these are a very convenient way to take them along with you. They don't crush easily, and take up much less room than a bottle of the pink stuff.

They didn't provide me enough relief to warrant my taking them again, although I will probably still give them a try the next time I experience nauses, since the liquid form always worked well for me in the past.

The 48 count box retails for around $6.50.

I give these 2 stars.

Procter And Gamble Pepto-bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry - Box of 48

Procter And Gamble Pepto-bismol Chewable Tablets Cherry - Box of 48

This is for the 'Cherry' only. It may differ from the image shown in size, color,or may be a replacement item for the item shown. Please refer to the ...
Pepto-Bismol Chewables Cherry 30 Chewables

Pepto-Bismol Chewables Cherry 30 Chewables

Another on the go option in a great cherry flavor for those who find it difficult to swallow pills. Pepto Bismol chewable tablets with cherry flavor r...
Vitacost.com

Acme United Corporation Pepto-bismol Tablet (30 Per Box)

Acme United Corporation Pepto-bismol Tablet (30 Per Box)

Have Questions? Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us | Store Policy Acme United Corporation Pepto-Bismol Tablet (30 Per Box) OUR SKU# UAF1314 | MPN...

Pepto-Bismol Chewable Tablets, Original, 30ct

Pepto-Bismol Chewable Tablets, Original, 30ct

This product may be FSA eligible. Learn more about FSA.

Pepto-Bismol Pepto Bismol Tablets

Pepto-Bismol Pepto Bismol Tablets

Pepto-Bismol offers five-symptom relief: nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, and diarrhea. Chewable tablets are cherry-flavored and individ...
Pepto-bismol Pepto Bismol Tablets - Acm51025 - 2 Item Bundle

Pepto-bismol Pepto Bismol Tablets - Acm51025 - 2 Item Bundle

+ Add Shoplet to Favorite Sellers Pepto-Bismol Pepto Bismol Tablets - ACM51025 - 2 Item Bundle This is for - not one - but for a 2 item bundle of the ...

Procter & Gamble Anti diarrheal Pepto-BismolŪ Chewable Tablets, Cherry, 48 per Box - MON47712700

Relieves: heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, nausea, diarrheaVery low sodiumSugar freeFreshness Guarantee: Betty Mills guarantees the expiration d...
BettyMills.com

Pepto-bismol Children's Chewable Tablets, Bubblegum, 24 Ct (w6779)

Pepto-bismol Children's Chewable Tablets, Bubblegum, 24 Ct (w6779)

If your little one has a stomach ache, the Pepto Bismol Children s Chewable Tablets, Bubblegum, 24 ct helps soothes their grumbling stomach. After eat...

Acme United Corporation Pepto Bismol Tablet Refills, 30/box [id 137895]

Acme United Corporation Pepto Bismol Tablet Refills, 30/box [id 137895]

Have Questions? Contact Us Acme United Corporation Pepto Bismol Tablet Refills, 30/Box [ID 137895] Item #: 417947 FREE SHIPPING! Pepto-Bismol offers f...

Pepto Bismol

Pepto Bismol

Available in a delicious cherry flavor, these chewable tablets are conveniently wrapped so you just pop them out and within minutes of chewing them yo...