Pepto-Bismol Original Formula Liquid

Pepto-Abysmal

Feb 18, 2001

Pros:It has a handy dosing cup

Cons:Taste, interaction with other drugs. Doesn't work.

The Bottom Line: I find that this product doesn't work like it says it will.

Years ago, long before Imodium came on the mass market there was Pepto Bismol. Pepto Bismol and Koepecktate were about the only two things you could buy over the counter for diarrhea without having to go to the doctor for a prescription and a lot of the time you didnít need to pay a doctorís visit to get relief from occasional problems like diarrhea and indigestion.

Pepto-Bismol advertises that it give a protective coating to the stomach which helps with upset stomachs, indigestion, nausea, heartburn and diarrhea. Well, to me and my family the only coating action we have found is that horrible pink ring you get around your mouth while taking it and if you donít wash the outside of your mouth with a wet cloth when you finish taking you have a bright pink ring that you canít seem to chip off. You are stuck with it until it wears off. This thick pink gooey stuff dries like plaster of paris.

The recommended dosage is children 6 Ė 9 years of age 2 teaspoons every Ĺ to 1 hour as needed, children 9 Ė 12 years of age take one Tablespoon every Ĺ to 1 hour as needed and adults 2 tablespoons every Ĺ to 1 hour as needed. For children under 3 you should consult your doctor. I found that I had to nearly force my children to take this stuff because of the nasty taste. It leaves an awful coating in the mouth that you canít seem to get rid of. It does come with a handy dosing cup though.

With taking the Pepto-Bismol you have to take quite a lot of the medicine to get any kind of minor relief and you will notice that you stools will turn black.

The first time this happened to us it scared me half to death. Also her tongue had turned dark. I was on the phone calling the doctor to see if I needed to bring my child in. He just told me that was one of the side effects of the medication. That really scared me because all of your life you are told that if you start passing black stools then there is a possibility of internal bleeding.

I have also found that it doesnít relieve the other symptoms it proclaims to either. With upset stomachs my children would seem to throw up more and it never pretended to relieve heartburn and indigestion for my husband and me.

Does Pepto-Bismol contain aspirin? No, but it does contain salicylate which is used in aspirin so those people that are allergic to aspirin should not take this product.

Pepto-Bismol is supposed to stop diarrhea by reducing the amount of fluid in the intestines that causes diarrhea. With too much reduction of the fluids that can lead to constipation, which in turn, can lead to taking something, relieve that.

The bottle warning states that children or teens recovering from Chicken pox or flu should not take the medication. If nausea or diarrhea is present then you should consult your doctor because that is an early warning of Ryeís Syndrome.

If taking Pepto-Bismol while taking aspirin and ringing in the ears starts; quit taking the Pepto-Bismol.

The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is Bismuth Subsalicylate. I canít read the rest of the ingredients because the print is so small. That too is another problem I have. If you canít read what the bottle says then you could cause some serious problems with you or your child. Itís always best to ask your pharmacist to explain the warnings on the bottle so you can judge if you want to give this to or any product to your family.

I do still keep a bottle of Pepto around the house for my dogs. I was leery at first when my Vet suggested giving my Yorkie this but he assured me that it would help with his diarrhea.

He has gotten something to eat that didnít agree with his little tummy and has a case of diarrhea. For his little 3- pound body I was told to give him a Ĺ teaspoon. I measured it into a dropper that you use for children and squirted it into his mouth.

I had to be quick to wipe his face before he went to the carpet to try to clean himself up and get the nasty taste out of his mouth.

It worked for him but just be careful when giving to your pets. Make sure they arenít in kidney failure or it could make the problem worse. The Vet can run a quick blood test in their office for around $5.00. Itís called a B.U.N.

I donít know if this works for cats so be sure to contact your Vet before giving to them. Cats canít take a lot of the same medications dogs do.

Varieties Original Formula Liquid Flavor Sizes Wintergreen 4, 8, 12, 16 ounce bottle
Maximum Strength Liquid Wintergreen 4, 8, 12 ounce bottle
Original Tablets Flavor Wintergreen 30, 48 tablets

Cherry Tablets Cherry Vanilla 30, 48 tablets
Caplets Unflavored 24, 40 count

Thanks for reading.

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 16 Oz (w5899)

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 16 Oz (w5899)

The original upset stomach and diarrhea reliever. Relieve heartburn, indigestion, nausea, upset stomach, and diarrhea with the smooth original liquid ...

Pepto Bismol Liquid Original Flavor - 2/12 Oz.+ Instacool Tablets 30 Ct.(238344)

5 Symptom Relief: Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, Diarrhea Relieves upset stomach for those who enjoy the original Pepto-Bismol flavor....

Pepto-Bismol Maximum Strength Liquid, 8 fl oz

Pepto-Bismol Maximum Strength Liquid, 8 fl oz

Pepto-Bismol Maximum Strength Liquid was created for those in need of maximum relief from stomach discomfort. It provides relief of the symptoms of he...

Pepto-bismol Original Liquid, 4 Fl Oz

Pepto-bismol Original Liquid, 4 Fl Oz

The original upset stomach and diarrhea reliever with a hint of a fresh wintergreen taste. Pepto-Bismol Original Liquid relieves diarrhea and upset st...

Pepto-bismol Original Liquid, 4 Fl Oz (w6548)

Pepto-bismol Original Liquid, 4 Fl Oz (w6548)

Pepto-Bismol Chewables Cherry 30 Chewables

Pepto-Bismol Chewables Cherry 30 Chewables

Another on the go option in a great cherry flavor for those who find it difficult to swallow pills. Pepto Bismol chewable tablets with cherry flavor r...
Vitacost.com

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 8 Oz

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 8 Oz

Relieve heartburn and indigestion fast with Pepto-Bismol Liquid. It also soothes an upset stomach and helps to stop diarrhea. The anti-heartburn liqui...

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 8 Oz (w6434)

Pepto-bismol Liquid, Original, 8 Oz (w6434)

Ads by Google