Petmate 17 Cuddle Cup 27056

Cuddle Up In the PetMate Cuddle Cup? I Don't Think So!

Aug 22, 2002

Pros:Economical

Cons:Cats Won't Use It!

The Bottom Line: The Petmate Cuddle Cup is an economical cat bed that my cats will not use.

When Shadow (6 year old black female Halloween cat) moved in with us about a year ago, she was used to sleeping on her former master’s bed on a blanket. However, with her new surroundings, she was not used to being that free, plus she was in competition with other cats in the home for the same bed space.

Therefore, in order to try to prevent fights, we decided to buy her a cat bed instead. She liked to lie on the floor underneath the desk my son uses, so we tried to find a bed to fit into that space.

What we bought for this purpose was a Petmate Cat Cuddle Cup.

What Is a Cuddle Cup?

A Petmate Cuddle Cup is basically a round shaped fabric and filling cat bed that can be placed on the floor or any hard surface. The bed is very flexible and soft, and measures about 17 inches in diameter and 6 inches high.

There were a lot of various designs that you can purchase with this bed, but we chose one that was more of a neutral tone with off-white/beige interior.

The Petmate Cuddle Cup is machine washable. However, after washing, the bed does not hold it’s “newish” appearance with the cushioned interior very well. It becomes rather bunch in the corners. The color, however, did not fade after washing though. So, even though the interior was not “like new” after washing the outside was.

Presenting Your New Bed, Right? NOT!

Upon presenting the bed to Shadow, we tried to encourage her to sit or lay in it. Even though we had this item next to her former master’s pillow (his bed pillow for his scent), she would not sleep in the bed readily at all.

After some days, she would go sit in it on occasion but she was never comfortable with the bed at all. We tried to put the bed in different locations where she was known to lay down during the day but she still did not like this bed at all. Even when we put cat nip toys in the bed, she still would not stay in it.

Since Shadow rejected the bed, we tried to see if the other cats would enjoy it. Meaux (7 year old gray male “swamp cat”) sniffed at the bed and decided that his bed was much better – my son’s closet! Midget (2 ½ year old gray tabby male) would go sit in it periodically and scratch within it, but decided that sleeping on ME was more comfortable than sleeping in the cat bed.

So, the idea of using this cat bed is really moot. None of my three cats would sleep in the bed at all!

Suggestions

I suppose all cats are finicky and my cats are the same. But probably if I had purchased this bed when my cats were kittens, they might have been more receptive to using it throughout their lives.

However, because my cats are set in their ways, I do not see any reason why I should purchase this type of cat bed in the future. If I do purchase one in the future, it will probably be one that my cats can “hide” in so that Meaux can sleep in his closet-like environment, offering both darkness and privacy such as the Petmate TeePee.

Recommendation

If you are considering a cat bed for your cats, I highly recommend that you start when they are kittens and train them to sleep in their bed and not anywhere else in your home. For my cats, the idea of getting a Petmate Cuddle Cup was a good one initially, but overall this purchase did not satisfy me at all.

Most of the problem I had with this product though was not with the product itself but with the cats’ reaction to it.

Therefore, I will still give the Petmate Cuddle Cup a good recommendation for purchase, providing you purchase it for an already trained adult cat, or perhaps a kitten.

Specifications 17” Cuddle Cup
Manufacturer: Petmate
Model Number: 27056
Dimensions: 17 X 17 X 6

PETMATE TWILL LOUNGER

Foam based loungers and cuddle cups insulate your pet from cold, hard floors. Promotes instinctive nesting. Raised sides reduce drafts.