Philips PET7402D05 7in Twin Screen In Car DVD Player 7 inch Car DVD Player Reviews

Philips PET7402D05 7in Twin Screen In Car DVD Player 7 inch Car DVD Player

A servicable solution, if not the highest quality solution

Dec 12, 2009 (Updated Dec 14, 2009)

Pros:two screens, clearly visible, clearly audible

Cons:difficult to operate controls, disc restarts each time you turn off the car

The Bottom Line: a good value portable DVD player

Given that we travel by car multiple times per year I thought it was well past time we finally bought some DVD players to help keep the children occupied.  What we bought, the Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) was a single player with two screens to hang on the back of the front seats.  After about 20 hours in the car over Thanksgiving I think we have had a chance to give ours a thorough test.  It has fulfilled the function we bought it for, but it is also a bit of a pain.

Set Up and Use
The Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) is quite easy to set up initially.  The unit consists of two 7 inch screens (diagonally) with one of the screens being slightly thicker.  This larger unit is the DVD player.  You fix the two screens onto the back of the headrests by means of the included straps.  Then you must connect the player to a power source (car power outlet) and connect the two screens together.  At this point you are ready to use the players.  The controls function the same as any DVD player I have ever seen.

My Experience
While I am happy overall with the Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) I do have some criticisms.  The player unit has controls on the front, top, and right side.  None of these are at all usable from the front seat and my children are not old enough to operate the player themselves.  This leaves us trying one of two things.  The front seat passenger must either reach back and try to operate the unit without being able to see either the controls or the screen, or they must unbuckle and crawl partially into the back seat so as to be able get the movie going.  The first option is ineffective and the second is unsafe.

The Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) also does not remember its place on the disc when the power is disrupted, such as when you turn off the car.  Every time you stop for gas or a meal the disc will start over.  So you may delay your departure for a few minutes getting the scene right again, or face trying to do so from the front seat.

While I do have these criticisms the Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) has functioned largely up to my expectations.  It plays the discs without error.  The screens are clearly visible in most conditions, the exception being bright sunlight.  We have not yet used the headphone jacks, being afraid the children aren't savvy enough not to damage their hearing, but the sound from the speakers on the units has been adequate to hear over the sounds produced by a car traveling on the highway.

Value
I feel that the Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) scores relatively well on value.  I have been looking for a portable DVD player for the car for some time, but have always found them to be more than I wanted to pay, or of too low quality to meet our needs.   I paid $138 plus tax for the  Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) at Wal-Mart.  I think this represents a good relative value due to its quality.  While far from perfect, the player also isn't very expensive.

Conclusion
We have used the Philips 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player (PET7402/37) for 20 total hours of car trips.  It isn't the easiest thing to operate from the front seat, but it has helped keep the children occupied over the long hours and has been both visible and audible in nearly all conditions.  While it causes us some annoyance, I am happy overall with our purchase.

11' Long Car Charger Power Cord For Philips Pet7402d/05 Portable Dvd Dual Screen

Philips DVD Players high quality car charger adapter compact durable design with LED indicator Philips DVD Players specification Philips PET7402D/05 1...

6 Feet 3.5mm Video Cable For Philips Pet7402d/05 Portable Dual Screen Dvd

6 Feet 3.5mm Video Cable For Philips Pet7402d/05 Portable Dual Screen Dvd

3.5MM MALE TO 3.5MM MALE COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLE 99.99% PURE OXYGEN-FREE WIRE THIS CABLE IS MADE SPECIFICALLY TO WORK WITH PHILIPS PORTABLE DUAL SCREEN ...

Philips Pet7402/37 Pet7402 Car Hardwire Adapter Charger

Philips Pet7402/37 Pet7402 Car Hardwire Adapter Charger

Philips PET7402/37 PET7402A/37 quality brand new direct hardwire power cable power your DVD player directly from vehicle's DC power source 12~24V inpu...

Car Charger + Video Cable For Philips Pet7402 Pet9422 Portable Dual Screen Dvd

Car Charger + Video Cable For Philips Pet7402 Pet9422 Portable Dual Screen Dvd

HIGH QUALITY CAR CHARGER AND 3.5MM VIDEO CABLE (10FT) FOR PHILIPS DUAL SCREEN PORTABLE DVD PLAYERS:PD7012/37 PD9016/37 PD7016/37 PD9012/37 PD7012 PET7...

Car Adapter Charger For Philips Dual Screen Portable Dvd Pet7402s/37

Car Adapter Charger For Philips Dual Screen Portable Dvd Pet7402s/37

Lighten your load and keep an extra power adapter wherever you use your device the most. No matter where your adventures take you, you can rest assure...

11' Long Cord Car Charger For Philips Pet7402a/37 Pet7402s/37 Dc Dual Dvd Player

Philips DVD Players high quality car charger adapter compact durable design with LED indicator Philips DVD Players specification PET7402S/37 PET7402A/...

AC Adapter for Philips PET7402 37 PD9000 37 DVD Player Charger Power Supply Cord