Philips PET741 Portable DVD Player (7") Reviews

Philips PET741 Portable DVD Player (7")

A good, budget-minded portable DVD player

Jan 16, 2011

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Picture quality, low price, reliability and versatility

Cons:Sound sometimes seems a little low
Buttons don't light up

The Bottom Line: A good, reliable basic portable DVD player for those on a budget.

I bought this Philips PET741B portable DVD player to watch movies in the car during my downtime when I'm working as a limo driver.  I had a full-sized Philips DVD player once before which was very reliable, and this Philips portable DVD player has proven equally reliable in the 10 months that I've owned it.

It's a fairly versatile player for the price, playing regular DVDs as well as DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW and VCD and SVCD discs.  You can also listen to music (including MP3 songs) on CD or CD-RW discs, and playback JPEG still images, although I have not tried those features myself.  The viewing area is 7" and in widescreen format.   I've found the picture while watching movies to have good color with clear images.  There is a button on the lower portion of the player to adjust the brightness to one of 3 levels:  standard, dim or bright.  A large circular button on the lower right corner of the player allows you to navigate menus on the DVD, as well as pause and restart play.  Sound is fairly good considering the small size of the speakers, although at times I wish I could make it a bit louder.

The Philips PET741B is ready to go out of the box with an AC adapter, car cigarette lighter adapter and A/V cable for connection to a TV included.  All in all this is a good portable DVD player for anyone on a budget.

7 TFT color LCD display in 16:9 wide screen format Built-in stereo speakers AC adaptor car adaptor and AV cable included 2-hr rechargeable battery Com...
Savor watching movies in the backdrop of your windows using the anti-glare polarizer LCD screen of this Philips PET741/37 DVD player. Stay relieved ev...