Philosophy Hope and A Prayer P.M. Retinol Dermochlorella Capsules Reviews

Philosophy Hope and A Prayer P.M. Retinol Dermochlorella Capsules

I've got dermochlorella but don't worry, I wont give it to you. (Buy your own!)

Nov 25, 2006 (Updated Apr 19, 2007)

Pros:Single use capsules keep product fresh, easy to mix/apply, skin glows and looks better

Cons:Doesn't zap wrinkles or fine lines, at least, it hasn't yet for me

The Bottom Line: Little capsules to apply or mix with face cream that fight aging. Great idea but very pricey!

I have tried just about every skin care product that Philosophy sells and, for the most part, I like them enough to use several regularly. I raved about Hope and Prayer Vitamin C Powder and stand behind that rave. It is just fabulous.

Recently, I saw a kit called "Booster Shots" being sold by Philosophy and, when I looked to see what it was, I found it was a combo of the Vitamin C Powder for morning and Philosophy Hope And A Prayer P.M. Retinol Dermochlorella Capsules for evenings. Since I already had the powder, I bought the capsules alone and decided to try them at night and the Vitamin C Powder in the morning as suggested by Philosophy.

You know, it's tough to tell how well these things work. My skin looks great but I am not sure the capsules added a lot to the overall quality of my skin. Certainly, they didn't hurt my skin - and I did see some improvement - but, at $55.00 a jar, I wish I could give you more clear cut advice about these little capsules.

About this Product

you are not giving your skin the very best it needs if you don't incorporate a retinol into your evening regimen. if you have been unable to use traditional retinol in the past, we have a breakthrough for you.....

hope in a prayer retinol/dermochlorella capsules were created to help take your skincare routine to the next level by restoring the youth and elasticity of the skin for a smoother, more radiant appearance. hope and a prayer p.m. capsules allow you "boost" your current nighttime skincare routine by incorporating the latest in skincare technology. hope and a prayer p.m. capsules will help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and uneven skin tone while improving overall skin tone. these cutting-edge retinol/dermochlorella capsules are designed to be mixed fresh nightly with your favorite serum of moisturizer.

www.philosophy.com

The Packaging

There isn't much to the packaging of this product. The capsules come boxed in white and are in a black plastic jar with a screw on/off lid. The name of the product and the brand are on the jar in a light grey color. This product is also called Philosophy The Supernatural Hope and a Prayer Retinol Capsules on some sites. Philosophy calls them Hope and a Prayer P.M. Capsules on their site. But they are all the exact same things. They just have a slightly different name depending on the site you visit. The actual jar has the name printed on it exactly as it is listed here.

The capsules are small bronze slightly elongated peas with a thin stem. You rip off the rubbery stem and squeeze the product out of the little bulb. There is very little product in each capsule, barely enough to cover my face completely. You get 60 capsules in the jar, a two-month supply.

My Use

I have pretty much settled into my personal skin care routine which includes Philosophy products in the morning and at night. Until I got these capsules, I used the Vitamin C powder mixed with When Hope is Not Enough Lifting and Firming Serum and that worked well at night.

When this product arrived, I switched and used one capsule at night either on my clean, dry face or mixed in with my other products as I do with the Vitamin C Powder.

Used alone, the capsules have very little scent and half of a pea sized amount of gold medium consistency product. I will spread the contents, which is only large enough to fill my fingertip, across my cheeks, chin, forehead and nose. I try to get some of the product near, but not too close to, my eyes as well.

When mixing, I simply squirt the contents of the capsule into my serum or cream and apply them as I normally would.

I feel no stinging or burning at all. My skin feels very velvety when I apply the product directly to my face.

The next day, my skin is moist and glowing. I do notice that the overall evenness of my skin tone is better now than before using this product but I haven't really seen any major de-wrinkling. I have only been using the capsules for just under a month so it's hard to know what long term use will reveal but immediate use does give my skin a velvety feel, evenness, and a slight morning glow that I previously lacked.

I have used actual Retin-A which was very harsh. This product contains retinol which is a cosmetic - and much less harsh - form of the prescription product.

Retinol is great for the skin and is truly a line chaser. This much has been proven. However, it is very important to use the right amount or else you won't do your skin much good. I have no idea if these capsules have enough retinol in them to actually give long term anti aging effects to the skin.

Nonetheless, these capsules are a good addition to my skin care regiment and I will continue using them for the additional month I have then decide whether the change in my skin is worth investing in another jar.

The Vitamin C Powder gives me immediate results and a daytime glow I never had before and I truly believe in it. However, retinol has its own set of wonderful anti aging qualities and, if the combination of the two is best for my skin, I'm cool with that. Right now, I am satisfied with the capsules, like how they make my skin feel, and am happy with my routine.

However, I have not seen dramatic results over the month so I am not sure if the regime I am on is why my skin looks so good or whether the capsules boosted my overall results more than just evening out my skin tone and giving me the same type of glow when I wake up that the Vitamin C Powder when I use it before applying make up.

No matter what, I must say that $55.00 for retinol capsules is steep even if they last for two months. You can buy products that contain a decent percentage of retinol for far cheaper. One such product is RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum, which is only around $19.00 for an ounce and has been getting favorable reviews. I may try that when my capsules are done and before I reinvest in more. Roc doesn't have dermochlorella in it which is supposed to improve the appearance of the skin's texture, however, one thing I definitely noticed when using the capsules.

Ingredients

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Maltodextin, Retinol, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (parfum), BHT

Buying Info

Philosophy Hope And A Prayer P.M. Retinol Dermochlorella Capsules can be purchased on the Philosophy website or any number of beauty sites on the web. They are available wherever Philosophy products are sold offline as well. The cost for the 60 capsule jar is $55.00 no matter where you buy them. However, I just saw them for $50.00 on the Philosophy site but unavailable to purchase. That usually means there will be special offer that you can sign up to get where the product is auto shipped to you on a regular basis for a slightly lower cost than regular retail. We'll have to wait and see if that is what is going on.

You can also get a 30 count jar of the capsules with a 0.2 ounce jar of Vitamin C Powder for $50.00 a set.

My Recommendation

These capsules contain retinol as well as dermochlorella, which is supposed to be a dynamic combination for aging skin. I have seen some results from using these capsules. My skin texture and evenness is better and it glows even in the morning when skin tends to be dull. I have not seen dramatic reduction of my fine lines and really don't expect to. Retinol is good for stopping new lines and for helping sun damage but it's not a miracle. Even the purest form, Retin-A, can't zap wrinkles and lines from the face.

I like the regiment I have going now but $55.00 is quite pricey. We're talking about almost one dollar per night to use these capsules. To me, that isn't a great value. I think the same results and similar ingredients can be found in less expensive products.

While I do like these capsules, I feel they are too costly for the results I have seen so I am going to rate them 3 stars even though I think they perform in a 4 star way. Bang for your buck counts for something and Philosophy is very bad at giving us bang for our bucks. We pay through the nose for the benefits we get from their products.

I do recommend these capsules to those inserted in trying a retinol product. The single use capsules keep them fresh and give you the exact amount to use. The results are evident but not overwhelming for me but I am on an excellent skin care regiment as it is. These capsules may make a dramatic difference to those who don’t ordinarily use exfoliating and anti aging products.

They should be $25.00 though not $55.00.

Update: April 20, 2007: These work great with the new Philosophy Booster Serum for Aging Skin

A few of my Philosophy favs:

Philosophy The Greatest Love Hydrating Microdermabrading Scrub

Philosophy The Microdelivery Peel

Philosophy Hope In A Jar Original Formula for All Skin Types

Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

Philosophy Hope And A Prayer A.m. Topical Vitamin C Powder .25 Oz

Philosophy Hope And A Prayer A.m. Topical Vitamin C Powder .25 Oz

THIS LISTING IS FOR: Brand New Philosophy HOPE AND A PRAYER A.M. Topical Vitamin C Powder! Size .25 oz/7.1g! Comes from Smoke Pet Free Home! ~ Many ot...

philosophy 'hope in a jar' for all skin types

Free Shipping + 3 Free Beauty Samples! philosophy hope in a jar is a world-renown multitasking moisturizer loaded with antioxidants and formulated wit...
Nordstrom

Nip In Package Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough / Hope And A Prayer Set

Nip In Package Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough / Hope And A Prayer Set

New in the Package When Hope Is Not Enough:1 fl. oz.lightweight, oil-free antioxidant and peptide serum helps reduce the first signs of aging and prot...

Philosophy Hope In A Jar High Performance Moisturizer 2 Oz Sealed

Philosophy Hope In A Jar High Performance Moisturizer 2 Oz Sealed

Philosophy Hope in a jar High Performance Moisturizer 2 oz new sealed Philosophy Hope in a jar High Performance Moisturizer 2 oz new sealed. UPC:60407...

philosophy hope in a jar foundation

now, experience the benefits of hope in a jar in new hope in a jar foundation. the light-as-air formula smoothes, refines and restores hydration, whil...
Macys.com

Philosophy Philosophy Hope in a Jar .5 oz

Philosophy Philosophy Hope in a Jar .5 oz

Hope in a jar is a world-renown multitasking moisturizer loaded with antioxidants, with a unique soufflé texture. Originally created for the medi...
lordandtaylor.com

Nordstrom

Philosophy Hope In A Jar Spf 25

Philosophy Hope In A Jar Spf 25

Hope in a jar spf 25 moisturizer for all skin types hydrates, provides broad-spectrum sun protection and antioxidant protection, while promoting smoot...
Philosophy Hope In A Jar 2 Oz

Philosophy Hope In A Jar 2 Oz

Philosophy Hope In a Jar 2 oz New full size in box We are not affliated with nor work for any of the companies listed.All pictures are mine and taken ...

Macys.com