-57%

+$2.99 shipping PCM
MacMall

Great Sound but Bad Microphone

Mar 12, 2013

Pros:Great output sound, volume adjust buttons on left headphone and easy usb installation.

Cons:Tight on the head and ears, horrible recording quality, compatibility issues.

The Bottom Line: It's not worth it since the microphone has horrible quality.  If you want headphones, just get regular headphones with no micrphone.  This only does half of what it should do.

I’m really big into computer headsets mainly because I do two things a lot that involve the use of them.  One is talking on Skype and the other recording commentaries while I play video games for these silly YouTube videos that I enjoy making.  That being said, I’ve gone through a lot of headsets over the past couple of years, and after having my beloved Logitech headset break this past Friday because of stupidty I had to go out to buy a new one.  I went to this local electronics warehouse called Fry’s since they generally have a good selection of products, including headsets.  Sadly this time they didn’t have the previous headset I owned in stock, so I went into investigation mode and finally ended up with the conclusion that the Plantronics 655 DSP headset was the best they had in stock.   Turns out there probably could have been a better choice.

Now I don’t want to be a jerk and bash this headset, but I was overall very disappointed with it.  Let’s start with the simple things like the feel of the headset.  The thing is stiff as stiff can be, and feels like it is going to squeeze your ears together.  That metal bar they put in the headsets to give it the curvature to match your head is so stiff that it almost refuses to bend outward, so you constantly have inward pressure being applied to your ears while wearing it.  It is supposed to be an over the ear headset, but the pads are thin to nothing and really don’t do anything to soften the pressure.  However the headset does adjust like any other headset, but even after extending the sides, it got to the point where the only way it seemed to not hurt was if you extended the sides so much that the arch that rests on the top of your head was sitting about 3 inches off my head.  This thing really lacks in the comfort area.

Next I want to talk about the quality of the audio output as well as the microphone and audio input.  To be 100% fair, the headphones themselves actually output some real high quality audio.  I first tested them on Itunes and they sounded really clear, so I can’t complain about that.  On the other hand, the microphone is total garbage.  Sure the sound output might be fine, but if I wanted just a headset to listen to audio with, I wouldn’t have gotten the one with a microphone attached to it.  I need the microphone for crisp clear recordings and I didn’t get that.  Instead what I got was a microphone that first of all alternates between 22,000 Hz and 44,100 Hz.  Now for those of you that don’t actually know what the difference is like, the best way I can describe it to you is this: 44,100 Hz is better quality, the audio is more crisp and clear, whereas 22,000 Hz the audio sounds digitized and muffled.  I don’t know why it can’t consistently record in 44,100 Hz but from researching it seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 7.  I find that pretty unacceptable since the operating system has been out for some time now, but whatever.  Now the last gripe I have with this microphone quality is when you happen to get lucky and end up with a recording that is fully in 44,100 Hz there is this constant high pitched noise in the background and it causes spikes in the recording which on playback it sounds like the audio is skipping.  After hours of searching for a solution whether it be sound card driver updates or setting that needed to be tweaked I found nothing.  It got to the point where I didn’t even want to email tech support because I would probably save more time returning this thing and going to RadioShack and getting the same type of headset that I previously had.

This headset just doesn’t fulfill what it is meant to do.  Only 50% of it is actually worth the $49.99 (yes I have the receipt right in front of me because I’m going to return it right after I post this) I spent it since the microphone is scrap.  The only thing nice about this headset besides the quality of output audio is the fact that it is a USB headset, so it is simple to install.  Just plug it in a USB port and give it 5 to 10 seconds to be read by your computer and you are ready to go!  I will add a comment on one small feature which is volume adjust buttons on the outside of the left headphone that allow for quick volume adjust.  I always find this nice to have on headsets, but it doesn’t make up for the other cons of this headset.

Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP - Headset - full size
This headset simply delivers quality digital hi-fi stereo sound for all of your PC audio needs.
MacMall
Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP - Headset - full size
PCM
1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ Plantronics .Audio 655 DSP PC Headset US SKU: PLN8093521 Mfr. Part: 80935-21 Description The ...
About Us Ebay Store Shipping Returns Payment FAQ's Top Brands: Plantronics Polycom Samsung Panasonic Garmin Motorola AT T Humminbird Norelco Braun Son...
1-20 of 26 best deals 1 2   Next >> Why are these stores listed?