Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage 24 X 22

Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage

Nov 12, 2009

Pros:I liked the shape, safety, door latch, and size of the cage.

Cons:There are a few areas that are somewhat hard to clean and sanitize.

The Bottom Line:

The cage is a nice cage, especially for the price. I doubt if you can find anything better. My only concern was the few areas that were difficult to clean.

When looking for a cage for your bird, look for a cage, not a bird environment or some other fancy, dancy name for a cage - the fancy name could cost you $2000 plus and be a bear to clean.. We're not talking about something for a Hyacinth macaw; were talking an Amazon or Conure size. There are even cheaper and better cages for the Hyacinth.

You already know you're going to be spending a fortune in toys. Why spend your hard earned money, for something expensive and almost useless, when you can have a Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage.

During the middle of our town's H1N1 onslaught, and I have seen pets catching the flu from their human families, I didn't want to take any animals in during this time. However, due to circumstance and the fact the house we are renovating is a huge old 1885 cow; I have plenty of places to quarantine a bird for eight weeks. Really, I am the one that needs quarantined.

I am exotic pet consultant. I am also the editor for Exotic Pets Bellaonline.com. So, I can get animals in from all over. I got a call on a little mitred conure, the owner was livid about getting rid of his reprehensible biting parrot. I discussed all the alternatives on behavioral modification however; he wanted nothing to do with it. On top of that the cage wasn't coming with the bird. You cheap &#^*, how in the world could he have ever ended up with a parrot?

I didn't need a huge cage; mitred conures are on the smaller side of a parrot. He or she should have plenty of space to stretch his wings, to climb, to hop from bar to bar; besides my birds don't spend a great deal of time in the cage.

Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage fits all my criteria for a bird cage for my parrot. It will look nice in my living room though that is the least important factor. The most important factors in determining a cage purchase is safety, size, easy to clean and inexpensive.

Safety -such things as small parts that can be ingested, places a birds feet can get trapped, toxicity in paint or other parts, the bars need to be properly spaced (you don't want to get a head trapped in the bars, and the latch needs to work. Parrots are notorious for figuring out how to unlatch, and unlock cage doors.

The cage is pretty much easy to clean, around the three feeder doors there are a few spots that take a bit of extra scrubbing but all in all it isn't bad. I do like the seed guard and the easy to empty, pull out tray. Though, there are a few areas there that give me a bit more scrubbing time as well.

The stainless steel food dishes are a snap to sanitize. Though the conure can pick up the dish a wee bit and flop it back down, it isn't noisy enough to be annoying. At least as long as my computer isn't in the same room with the cage.

The cage comes in a choice of six colors, this is a delightful surprise. I think the last time I bought a cage I had a choice between the wrought iron black, bright blue, and expensive stainless. The colors are sand, blue, green, white, gray, and black. The coating is a safe powder coat finish.

I like the sides; they have little rectangles, instead of the bars going full vertical or horizontal. A long time ago, when I was just a kid my parents had a parakeet, he would climb up to the top of the vertical bar and slide down, and he seemed to love the game. The 5/8 of inch bar spacing makes it safe for an adult mitred conure. The mitred conure is a bit bigger than most the other conures.

I have a California cage the dimensions are pretty close; in fact I did a review on the cage quite some time ago. Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage 24"x24"x41" (from floor to top is 61.5" overall) the California cage the dimensions are 24x20x24 54 inches overall, and the bar spacing is 3/4 inch.

The cage is taller than I would want when a bird has behavioral problems. When I work with the bird I make sure he is away from his own cage and is on a standalone playpen or with me on the floor.

When you're on a fixed income you find ways of making do rather than spend the money and or time to find a bit shorter of a cage.
The cage is on wheels and they don't fall out every time you have to lift the cage up. The cage is sitting on carpet and it still rolls quite easily.

This is the interesting part; I paid $399 for the California cage and $329 for the Polly's Pleasures Victorian Wrought Iron Bird Cage. Isn't it nice to pay less for something of equal value nine years later?

When I first saw the play structure on top I was a bit dubious. I am use to the old fashion, playpens on top of the cage, with the two feed bowls and the wood perch. The bird didn't seem to mind the different sort of structure at all. In fact, I think it could be a benefit; he seems to get a bit more exercise.

The shape of the top of the cage is kind of interesting. After I began using it I found that to be an advantage as well. There are different layers to hang toys, and easy places to hang toys. Many cages have no place to hang toys on the top. The solid topped cages with the full playpen leave no place to hang toys except for on the sides of the cage.

One more thing that I don't like is the lack of places to put perches. I finally just stuck one under the food dishes crossways and the other is near the top going the opposite direction.

All in all I do like the cage. It is safe, within the easy to medium range to clean and sanitize. I no longer have the convenience of running to buy a cage I have to mail order. I use to have revulsion to mail order for cages because I would have to put them together. But, since I have discovered, the person called son-in-law those cages are a snap to put together, I point he assembles. He is a sweet guy.

Shipping charges were awful; I really can't give you a total on shipping because there were several items in this order.

Wrought Iron Star Bookends

Wrought Iron Star Bookends

The Wrought Iron Star Bookends are a classic for those wanting to dress up the look of a bookshelf, mantle or home office. Sturdy and strong to hold u...

Wrought Iron Horizontal Mounting Paper Towel Holder Plain Kitchen Home Decor

Wrought Iron Horizontal Mounting Paper Towel Holder Plain Kitchen Home Decor

Wrought Iron Horizontal Mounting Paper Towel Holder Plain Kitchen Home Decor Description | Shipping | Payments | Returns Policy | About Us Buy horizon...

Village Wrought Iron BE-6 Cat Bookends

Village Wrought Iron BE-6 Cat Bookends

Wrought Iron Bookends featuring a Cat Silhouette- Finished with a black satin matte baked-on powder coating- Sold in pairs only- Dimension: 5'' W x 6-...

Wrought Iron Cat Bookends

Wrought Iron Cat Bookends

The Wrought Iron Cat Bookends are a classic for those wanting to dress up the look of a bookshelf, mantle or home office. Sturdy and strong to hold up...

Village Wrought Iron LET-H Letter H Large

Village Wrought Iron LET-H Letter H Large

Manufacturer Part Number: LET-H19 15/16 In. W x 18 In. H
Opentip

Village Wrought Iron Letter G Med LET-G-M

Village Wrought Iron Letter G Med LET-G-M

Letter G Med Product Features Model No.: LET-G-M Brand: Village Wrought Iron Finishing: Wrought Iron Used As: House Letters Medium Item Details: 12 5/...
Key Hook Holder Wrought Iron Black 7.75 X 3

Key Hook Holder Wrought Iron Black 7.75 X 3

Key Holder.Village Wrought Iron.Powder Coated Black.Measures 7-3/4 x 3.Screws included for installation.Made in USA.

Village Wrought Iron CUR-87-35 Ball Curtain Rod

Village Wrought Iron CUR-87-35 Ball Curtain Rod

Our curtain/drapery rods are crafted from wrought iron and are finished with a baked-on powder coating, which not only provides a smooth matte satin f...

Small Wrought Iron Leaves Towel Bar

Small Wrought Iron Leaves Towel Bar

The Small Wrought Iron Leaves Towel Bar is a smart choice for busy households. If you like the look of a tidy kitchen or bathroom, make sure your hand...