Poulan Pro 42-Inch 19.5 HP Riding Lawn Tractor (CA Compliant) #PB195H42LT (085388582737)

Poulan - Big Lawnmower and Can Get the Job Done

Apr 13, 2009 (Updated Apr 14, 2009)

Pros:Big and wide and quick. Starts easy.

Cons:Not for detail work. Must push mow many parts of yard.

The Bottom Line: With my yard I would personally look for a smaller model and tigher turn, but this one knocks out a lot of yard and fast.

I needed to get a new riding lawnmower and decided that the Poulan Pro 42 inch would be a good bet. It was not available around here, but Amazon could send it out. Ratings were solid. Price was good through Amazon.

How Does It Work Ordering a Big Riding Lawnmower Online?

Buying a lawnmower at Amazon is like buying any other item. Shipping was higher, of course, but really decent considering the weight of the item – a large lawnmower.

What they don’t tell you is that the lawnmower comes freight or in other words on a big old tractor trailer truck. This makes sense, because UPS does not go over 50 lbs the last I checked, and you know USPS is not going to weigh a lawnmower on those little scales and hook you up.

If you live in a residential area, then check the power lines and cable lines to make sure the truck can clear. After a number of freight drop offs here, I know to tell the driver about the low lines (and all call ahead from my experience), get a chair and a broom, and lift the low cable line next door up enough so that the truck does not knock out the cable TV on this road.

The other thing you need to know is that the transfer truck drivers are not paid to unload. They just drive. So you are technically required to get your package off the truck and handle that. When it’s a lawnmower and when you’re my size (5 foot 4 and a little chunkier than I should be), you can imagine I am not going to be able to wrestle a lawnmower off a big old truck.

My experience has been that truck drivers are darn fine people, and they help out. In the case of the lawnmower, the driver knew a local company with a dock. I met the truck there, and the guys at the company pushed the mower from the tractor trailer to a pick up for me to haul home.

Oh Yes – Riding a New Lawnmower in Style – I Thought

The lawnmower was a joint purchase with the separated husband who lives across the road. My Dad thought this was the perfect solution – split the cost and share the mower. I was not so keen on that and should have gone with my gut feeling.

The first mow was across the street where the lawnmower somehow ran over a cinder block. Are cinder blocks small? No. I do not think so. They also are not good to mow over. The blade got bent first time out. I got bent way out of shape.

The sep supposedly replaced the blade. Harrumph. I mowed my yard, and my brother asked if I mowed with a flat tire (as the blades were crocked). This question almost led to cursing but ultimately only meant I threw the extra key across the road and proclaimed, “It’s your darn mower now.”

The moral of this story is that it is NOT a good idea to buy a lawnmower and share it. You can’t control what the other owner may do and may suffer from anger management with this arrangement.

Don’t Hate on the Lawnmower

With this rocky start, I was totally not in love with the Poulan or the world. Mom gave me a 20 year old Wheelhorse mower, so I was gong to make do. The old mower is fine when it starts and when the blade drops and when it will actually go into drive. It is also nice when the darn tires are not flat. It goes to the shop a lot.

In the meantime, I grit my teeth and borrow the Poulan that I paid half on. No. I am not a happy camper about this, but I do what I have to do.

So, How Is That Poulan Lawnmower?

My yard is about an acre, but it is full of trees and flowers planted by the elderly ladies who lived here before. The Poulan is big and not really well suited for such a yard. There are a lot of touch up spots with it being a big mower with a wide blade.

The parts I can mow now are even and look fine, so it is much easier to mow the bulk with the Poulan rather than push mow the whole thing. It's a comfortable mower with a nice range of speed settings with a slider handle. The seat acts as the safety feature. If you get up or fall off, it shuts off automatically. The whole unit feels solid. For example, you can push on the hood and it does not wobble like many.

Across the road where the yard is flat out grass and also about an acre, this is a great mower. Boom. Boom. Boom. Yard mowed. Just a little touch up.

Tip for Use of the Poulan - Don't Go Clutching On It

If you are used to clutching to stop, then you will burn out your lawnmower belt in a hurry. I did not do that either. Sigh. Use the neutral to slow down and stop the Poulan lawnmower rather than clutching the heck out of it like old mowers.

Overall Thoughts on the Big Poulan Lawnmower

If you don’t run over cinder blocks or clutch the death out of the Poulan and if you have wide stretches of grass and not a lot of detail work, this lawnmower works great. It is big and powerful, and it does not take long to knock out a yard. You can select from 6 settings on the length you want the grass. That's a big lever and easy to move up or down. I find that level 4 looks best on my yard.

The mower starts easy even after the winter even without maintenance (but that may vary in colder climates). Just turn the key, and you are back in business.

With a different yard and with not sharing the Poulan, I would say it’s a good one. Even with my issues, it sure beats push mowing the whole thing. The parts I can mow with this big lawnmower look good, but I do have to do a lot of touch up around the trees and flowers. I also avoid the steep slopes as the mower does not have the same pull power as the old Wheel Horse mower. So, that’s more touch up. Argh. They just don’t make stuff like they used to, but this is better than some of the newer mowers I’ve tried – like Yard Machine which was a total waste of money.

Poulan Pro PP025 SB CS Gas Trimmer

Poulan Pro PP025 SB CS Gas Trimmer

Great yards demand equipment that is as dedicated and hardworking as you, and the Poulan Pro PP025 SB CS Gas Trimmer is a smart choice for your trimmi...

Poulan Pro Oem42mk Mulch Kit With Blades, Fits All Poulan Pro 42-inch Riding

Poulan Pro Oem42mk Mulch Kit With Blades, Fits All Poulan Pro 42-inch Riding

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Poulan Pro OE2MK Mulch Kit with Blades, Fits All Poulan Pro 42-inch Riding Lawn Mowers Upgrade to 2-Day A...

Poulan Pro 17 in. Gas Trimmer Multicolor - 1223-6097

Shop for Lawn Equipment from Hayneedle.com! The Poulan Pro 17 in. Gas Trimmer is an enlightened take on a yard care classic. Constructed from durable ...
Hayneedle

Poulan Pro Pp025 String Trimmer,25cc,17 In. Cutting Width

Poulan Pro Pp025 String Trimmer,25cc,17 In. Cutting Width

String Trimmer, Fuel Type Gas, Cutting Width 17 In., Shaft Length 58 In., Shaft Type Curved/Split, Engine Displacement 25cc, 2 Stroke Engine, Line Dia...
Zoro

Poulan Pro String Trimmer Line For Wt3100 And Pp325 .115-inch #952711635

Poulan Pro String Trimmer Line For Wt3100 And Pp325 .115-inch #952711635

Poulan Pro Line for WT3100 and PP325.115-Inch #952711635. Ideal for a home owner or professional..115-inch trimmer line provides great quality and the...
Poulan Pro Pp025 Handle 530057546

Poulan Pro Pp025 Handle 530057546

ONLY THE BEST What You See In The Picture Is What You Get Poulan Pro tractors, mowers, tillers, blowers, chainsaws and trimmers provide the latest and...

Hayneedle