Pramac Storm 5000 Watt Generator (04888)

Great generator, not crazy about the Robin Subaru engine

Sep 8, 2011

Pros:Well made generator head, operator panel and frame.  Includes the wheel kit.

Cons:Robin Subaru EX27 engine

The Bottom Line: Would highly recommend this generator but only with the Honda engine option.

We bought the Pramac Storm 5000 generator from Home Depot a few years ago to serve as a home backup unit.  The overall quality of construction, features, and operator panel appeared to be a cut above similarly priced generators at the big box stores.  I was not familiar with the Robin Subaru brand Engine, but I saw that it was made in Japan and also looked well made.  My first instinct was to pass on this unit and pay the big bucks for one with a Honda engine.  As a point of reference, we have four other pieces of power equipment with Honda small engines, and they have proven to be strong runners and easy to start and maintain.  The price of this generator lured me in however, so we made the purchase.

My first experience using the unit revealed that it was somewhat difficult to start, requiring several pulls.  Beyond that, the compression release, that is supposed to permit an easier pull of the cord, literally felt like it didn't exist.  Again for comparison, one of our Honda engines (GX270 on a snowblower) is the same size as the Robin Subaru EX27 engine on this generator and requires literally half the effort to pull start.  I had hoped that after a bit of a break-in period, that the engine would improve to starting on at least the 2nd or 3rd pull, but no such luck.

Over time, the rubber seal at the bottom of the gas tank developed a leak and I suspect it may have been due to the fuel stabilizer I used to help keep the gas fresh.  To that point, I would drain the fuel from time to time and replace it with fresh gas just to keep it ready for a power outage.  I'd also perform a twice-a-year exercising of the generator.  A new seal took care of the fuel tank leak.

Anyway, the 'hard to start' turned into 'will not start'.  Overall it's been a pretty frustrating experience with this thing.  This generator is also offered with the GX270 Honda engine and those seem to get good reviews.  The issue is they sell for several hundred dollars more than the price I paid.  Looking back, I should have followed my instinct and spent the extra money to buy the same generator with the better engine.

PRAMAC S2800 Portable Generator, Rated Watts2400, 160cc

PRAMAC S2800 Portable Generator, Rated Watts2400, 160cc

Portable Generator, Rated Watts 2400, Surge Watts 2800, Engine Brand Subaru, Voltage 120, 20/10 Amps 120/240V, Circuit Breaker Yes, Engine Size 160cc,...
Zoro