ProForm CrossWalk Performance X Treadmill

Need a Larger Belt? You'll Have to Spend More than $400.

Nov 4, 2005

Pros:Moving arms; folds.

Cons:Belt is too small.

The Bottom Line: If you are small, need a compact, simple machine, this will fit the bill. Please understand I do not think the belt is adequate for many people.

The ProForm CrossWalk Performance X treadmill is the least expensive in ProForm’s line of Cross Walk treadmills. I haven’t reviewed the others. Let me know if there is one you would like to see reviewed. This will be a stand alone review. I will not be comparing it to the others although I will mention other features found on many machines. At $400 it is 1/2 the price of the most expensive in the line. I don’t think one should by a product based on price alone so I was curious to see what $400 would buy me.

Information about the ProForm CrossWalk Performance X

This machine has moving arms. I have reviewed many pieces of equipment. I don’t think I have seen one in a treadmill in this price range with the ability to work my upper body. A nice feature is that the resistance on the moving arms is adjustable. Let me explain. Many machines, most notably elliptical machines have moving arms that are attached to the movement of the foot pedals. Essentially my arms can pull my legs and vice versa if I want that to happen. With the Performance X the arms are on a separate resistance track so I can be moving my arms at a rate very differently than that of my legs. Please be careful though because it takes a bit of getting used to moving arms on a treadmill.

The belt has what is called Pro Tech Cushioning. I have found a system called Pro Sox Impact Absorption on other ProForm machines which are more expensive. I can tell the difference even when walking. The Pro Tech Cushioning is not the worst I have encountered. If your feet are in good condition and you run but are used to running outside then this will be adequate for you. If you are like me and your feet hurt you, the Pro Tech Cushioning may not offer enough comfort for you. After 45 minutes including power walking my feet hurt me and my ankles were feeling the impact. In addition it doesn’t offer the very quiet ride that the Pro Sox System will give you.

I immediately noticed the size of the belt which is important to me and should be for you as well. I do this for a reason. If a belt is too short or narrow it makes walking on it never mind running uncomfortable. If anyone has ever had the unpleasant experience of walking at a fast clip and hitting the sides of the belt or worse the front of the belt you know that it throws off your balance. You can get hurt. The ProForm CrossWalk X has a 16” by 45” belt. This is just my opinion but it is also a general rule of thumb in the treadmill world. A belt should be at least 17” wide and 48” long. I could say that this might be adequate for a small, thin teenager but I won’t. What I will say is that the belt is inadequate. However considering that it is only 1" narrower than idea and 3" shorter than ideal I am being open minded in this review. My first draft had me making the belt size a deal breaker but I rethought it.

Handles are also very important to me. Ideally for older people I like side railings but the less expensive pieces of equipment are doing away with that feature. But the 840 has two places in which to hold onto and they are both well positioned. I can hold onto the side handles which though aren’t long are adequate to keep my balance. There is also a bar running across the machine which is terrific for holding onto if you are one who loses his or her balance. This is where the heart rate monitor is usually found in other machines.

The heart rate monitor, an excellent feature, is in a place I have never seen before. It is on the console. Considering there is a handle right below the sensor on which you will put your thumb which will take your pulse I do wonder why ProForm didn't put the monitor on the handle.

I have an issue with using my thumb as a heart rate measure. You may already know that it is not advisable to take your heart rate with your thumb because of the strong pulse there. It will give an inaccurate number. The numbers are usually not 100% accurate anyway but I wouldn’t put any faith in this sensor. I would either buy a heart rate monitor or learn how to take my heart rate using my carotid artery, which is on the side of your neck.

Other features of the console:

The Performance has two integrated places in which to put water bottles, cell phones and keys.

There are three easy to read windows that show time, distance, speed, calories and fat calories burned and your heat rate.

There is no fan.

I could change my speed and resistance using traditional up and down arrows. The ProForm Performance X calls the arrows a one touch speed control for both speed and resistance. Do not mix this up with the much better QuickIncline buttons on more expensive machines. Although the one touch controls are nicer than having to keep pushing the arrow up from 3.0 miles per hour to 3.1 to 3.2 and so on I can hold the up arrow until it stops where I want it to stop. It is just easier and quieter. The speed goes from 0 to 10 which is more than adequate and the incline goes from 1.5% to 10% also adequate.

You can choose the quick start button and not choose a program. If you want a program there are six workout programs. Five of them are traditional ones such as hills and interval training; one is a heart rate program. You will not get anything fancy with this machine.

Additional information:

The machine folds and rolls. There is a 2.25 horsepower motor. You will see others with 2.75 and above but 2.25 is more than adequate.

There is a 250 pound weight limit. Note that the because is lower than others on the market. However considering the size of the belt I wouldn't want anyone larger walking on this! It measures 56" high by 70" long x 34" wide. It weighs 176 pounds. This is a smaller machine than many you will see as well.

The treadmill has a 90-day warranty and a 3-year warranty on the motor. Compare that to 5, 10, 12 year warranties.

My final thoughts:

In my opinion the ProForm Performance X is not one I would spend my money on. Though it has moving arms I would spend a bit more and get a larger belt and a few more features. The compact size is great though and if you are not over 6' tall then perhaps this might be fine for you. I am 5'5." I like longer belts which is why I would like to see you buy a longer belt. I found my feet hitting the front of the tread too often.

I would recommend this machine for the small beginner who doesn't want a lot of bells and whistles and needs a compact treadmill.

As always please consult your doctor before starting an exercise program.

I have been working on this review for days and have gone back and worked out on this machine several times. I have gone from 2 stars and a not recommend to 3 stars and a recommend but only for the right person.

Other treadmill reviews:

How to Choose a TreadmillNordic Track ViewPoint TVNordic Track Incline TrainerLandice Treadmill • • Star Trac Pro TreadmillCybex Pro TeadmillCybex 900T Treadmill

All my fitness equipment reviews can be found on my profile. Thanks for reading. jo

Proform Crosswalk Performance X Treadmill Running Belt Dtl32950

Proform Crosswalk Performance X Treadmill Running Belt Dtl32950

Proform Crosswalk Performance X Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.DTL32950, DTL3295...

PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE X Treadmill Console Model Number DTL32951

PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE X Treadmill Console Model Number DTL32951

This is the replacement Console for the PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE X Model Number: DTL32951
Proform Crosswalk Performance X Treadmill Motor Drive Belt Dtl32950

Proform Crosswalk Performance X Treadmill Motor Drive Belt Dtl32950

ProForm Fitness Parts Treadmill Motor Drive Belt Part Name:Drive Belt - Belt - Drive - Motor Belt New Replacement Belt / Model No.DTL32950 Fitness Tre...

PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE Treadmill Console Model Number DTL32941

PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE Treadmill Console Model Number DTL32941

This is the replacement Console for the PROFORM CROSSWALK PERFORMANCE Model Number: DTL32941
Proform Crosswalk Performance Treadmill Running Belt Dtl32940

Proform Crosswalk Performance Treadmill Running Belt Dtl32940

Proform Crosswalk Performance Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.DTL32940, DTL32941 ...

Proform Crosswalk Plus Treadmill Running Belt 297350

Proform Crosswalk Plus Treadmill Running Belt 297350

Proform Crosswalk Plus Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.297350, 297351, 297352 Wei...

Proform Crosswalk Jm Treadmill Running Belt 298060

Proform Crosswalk Jm Treadmill Running Belt 298060

Proform Crosswalk JM Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.298060, 298061 Weight: 4 lbs...

Proform Crosswalk Performance Treadmill Walking Belt Model# DTL32940 - Treadmill Parts

Proform Crosswalk Performance Treadmill Walking Belt Model# DTL32940 - If you receive a belt that does not have the WALKINGBELTS trademark stamped and...
Proform Crosswalk Xl Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers 299210

Proform Crosswalk Xl Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers 299210

Proform Crosswalk Xl Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No. 299210 Weight: 4 lbs.1 Year...

Proform Crosswalk Performance Lxs Treadmill Running Belt Dtl4295c0

Proform Crosswalk Performance Lxs Treadmill Running Belt Dtl4295c0

Proform Crosswalk Performance LXS Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.DTL4295C0 Weigh...