Pro Pet Dog Shampoo 4 In 1 Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo Reviews

Pro Pet Dog Shampoo 4 In 1 Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo

Pro Pet Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs

Apr 21, 2009

Pros:Inexpensive, lathers well, a conditioning shampoo

Cons:Did not smell at all like vanilla, didn't leave a vanilla scent on my dog

The Bottom Line: An adequate shampoo, but I was really expecting a vanilla scent and was disappointed.

A few weeks ago I dropped my Silky Terrier off at the dog groomers, and I had two hours to kill before I could pick her up.  My groomer had mentioned to me that my Silky had some dry skin, and I figured it might simply be from a long winter - as my skin is always drier during the winter months as well.  We have forced air heat in our home, which contributes greatly to the dry air.

I did some shopping at WalMart, and while I was there I stopped by their pet department and looked at the line of dog shampoo that was available.  They were selling a product called Pro Pet, which I don't recall using before, and so I decided to give their Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo a try.

Description

This bottle is slightly hour glass shaped, and it's clear so you can see the contents, and has a blue flip top lid.  It contains a generous 20 ounces, so the bottle should last a few months.
Pro Pet Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo is a 4 in 1 shampoo, meaning it will do four things:  clean, deodorize, condition and detangle.

Claims

The front of the bottle has quite a bit of information.  It says that the shampoo has a long-lasting vanilla scent, it's a rich oatmeal formula, and that it will help soothe and moisturize dry, itchy and irritated skin.

The back of the bottle explains a bit more about this shampoo.  It describes it as a product that is scientifically formulated with their patented "HydraCoat Complex" to leave a dogs fur healthy and shiny.

Last, the manufacturers claims that this shampoo will leave my dog with a fresh vanilla scent.

My Thoughts

I was intrigued when I read about the products patented "HydraCoat Complex".  It is described as a blend of cleansers that are meant to moisturize, vitamins, proteins and botanical ingredients.  The formula is supposed to contain "microencapsulated liposomes" to help in locking in moisture.

Better still, the shampoo contains oatmeal and chamomile, and I know from my own research that these ingredients are soothing to the skin.  Colloidal oatmeal is one of the ingredients, and I remember giving my daughter a bath with a product that contained colloidal oatmeal when she had the chicken pox.  Furthermore, this Pro Pet shampoo also contains aloe vera gel!  Aloe is very soothing and healing for problem skin.

Right out of the bottle, the shampoo is a light tan color, and is quite thick and is the consistency of egg whites.  Sadly, I did NOT notice any vanilla scent, which was a huge disappointment!   I love the smell of vanilla, and I like my dog to smell fresh and clean after giving her a bath.

The shampoo lathers up well, mainly because of the lauryl and laureth sulfates it contains, and I used about a quarter size of shampoo in total to wash our dog, who is small and only weighs 10 pounds.  Even though it lathers up nicely, it also rinses off quite easily.  I put my dog in the kitchen sink and use my sprayer faucet to wet her down and rinse her off.  This works well, and for the washing aspect of this shampoo I would have to rate it a 5 out of 5.

After I washed and towel dried my Silky, I noticed that my hands felt very dry!  I thought that was odd, and since I was using a shampoo that claims to moisturize a pet I certainly didn't expect that to happen!  I guess I can't really comment on how well this moisturizes my pet, but I'll see in 6 weeks when I take her back to be groomed again, as I'll ask them if they see any improvement.  Hopefully her skin doesn't feel like my hands!

The fact that this shampoo is vanilla scented (and is supposed to provide a long lasting vanilla scent) was one of the factors that swayed me to give it a try.  I really like vanilla scents, I have vanilla scented candles and room sprays around my home.  Sadly, this shampoo had hardly any noticeable vanilla scent!  I didn't smell vanilla when I was washing my dog, I didn't have any vanilla scent on my hands, and my dog didn't smell like vanilla when her fur dried.  She did smell fresh and clean, but vanilla?  No.  I flipped open the cap and smelled the bottle, surely I would be able to smell vanilla now?  Not in the least!

The lack of any vanilla scent surely is a big disappointment.  The shampoo seems to do a good job of cleaning, but half the fun of giving my dog a bath is smelling the great scent left behind from the shampoo!  I don't think I will buy this product again.  The price is right if you are on a budget, about $4.50 for this large bottle.  But what I experienced didn't live up to the products claims.

The directions warn to shampoo weekly, and to be sure that you don't get the shampoo in your pets eyes.  It also warns to keep this out of the reach of children.

Pro Pet Moisturizing Shampoo is made by Eight in One Pet Products, and is distributed by United Pet Group, Inc.

Crazy Dog Shampoo Pina Colada 1-gallon

Crazy Dog Shampoo Pina Colada 1-gallon

NEW Crazy Dog Shampoo Pina Colada 1-Gallon $48.52 $65.95 Have some fun while you bathe and groom dogs. Rich, conditioning Crazy Dog shampoos with mois...

Isle of Dogs Moisturizing Dog Shampoo

Isle of Dogs Moisturizing Dog Shampoo

Isle of Dogs Salon Elements Sit (Still) Dog Shampoo Designed to gently cleanse and hydrate, transforming a dry, damaged coat to a noticeably supple an...

Sogeval Oxiderm +PS Shampoo, 16 oz

Sogeval Oxiderm +PS Shampoo, 16 oz

This is an over the counter product - it does not require prescription.SOGEVAL OXIDERM +PS SHAMPOO Antiseborrheic and Antiseptic Shampoo in a Mois...
TSC Pets.com
Pet Effects Elements Collection Sea Splash Dog Shampoo 17oz

Pet Effects Elements Collection Sea Splash Dog Shampoo 17oz

Pet Effects Elements Collection Sea Splash Dog Shampoo 17oz Click to view supersized image Pet Effects Elements Collection Shampoo Sea Splash - 17oz A...

John Paul Pet Calming Moisturizing Shampoo - Conditioning Formula - 16 oz

John Paul Pet Calming Moisturizing Shampoo - Conditioning Formula - 16 oz

John Paul Pet Calming Moisturizing Shampoo Conditioning Formula by Paul Mitchell is a ultra rich luxury shampoo that is formulated with aloe vera gel,...
SleekHair.com
John Paul Pet 16 oz Calming Moisturizing Shampoo

John Paul Pet 16 oz Calming Moisturizing Shampoo

The trusted name in salon products is now available for your pet. John Paul Pet Calming Moisturizing Shampoo offers gentle, thorough cleansing and con...
Drs. Foster & Smith

Pet Dog Cat Grooming Pro Brightening Shampoo & Silk Coat Conditioner Concentrate

Top Performance BRIGHT MAGIC Shampoo SILK COAT SilKote conditioner Make coats glow with protein-rich Top Performance® BRIGHT MAGIC Shampoo. Top Perfo...

Pro-Sense Oatmeal Vanilla Scent Dog Shampoo with Odor-Eliminating Complex, 20 oz

Pamper your pooch with Vanilla Scent Pro-Sense Oatmeal Dog Shampoo. This natural oatmeal-based vanilla scented dog shampoo delivers panthenol and othe...