ProForm Proform 60 GSX Treadmill Treadmill Reviews

ProForm Proform 60 GSX Treadmill Treadmill

Don't waste your money on the 6.0 ProForm Treadmill

May 9, 2006

Pros:Decent belt and deck; quick speed and incline features.

Cons:Can't input age/weight. Must stand on the foot rails to monitor your heart rate!

The Bottom Line: I was shocked then and am more shocked after writing the review.

ProForm’s 6.0 GSX Treadmill is at the lower-middle end in terms of the company’s treadmills. It sells for around $600.

Note that ProForm is owned by ICON fitness. This company also own Weider, Nordic Track and Weslo to name a few. There have been quite a few customer service complaints about ICON. However as I tell consumers we hear about the negative experiences and not the positive. If you have had a good experience with customer service by an ICON owned company, I’d like to know. I have and know many people who have. I also know people who haven’t. I urge those of you who have had bad experiences to write the company through Planet Feedback and let them know that you have reviewed their machine. Also please note that this machine will take two people to assemble and many hours. Now for the review!

The Basics:

There are several important features about a treadmill that I will start off with.

~The 6.0 weighs about 245 pounds which is heavier than many Pro Form treadmills.

~It easily folds and rolls. It folds with the pull of a latch. It is on wheels which makes it fairly easy to move but beware that you should be able to lift 45 pounds in order to move something that weighs 125 pounds. Forty five pounds is a lot of weight for many but I always suggest that unless the treadmill is in the middle of your living room and you are having company don’t fold it up and store it. The piece may never be seen again. For your information many of ProForm’s treadmills are what they call space savers and fold and roll.

~The maximum user weight is 300 pounds. This is higher than some models whose user weight maxes out at 250. Still if needed there are treadmills that can hold up to 400 pounds.

~It measures about 72 inches long by 38 inches wide by 58 inches high. This is slightly bigger than other models but not off the charts. It is a little longer than many so you’ll need the length in your room.

~The warranty is 90 days on parts and labor and 10 years for the motor. The warranty on the motor is very good and longer than on many machines.

~The size of the deck and belt are very important unless you are a very small person. If a belt is too short or narrow it makes walking or running on it uncomfortable. I have been on treadmills that are too short and end up hitting the front of the belt which can be dangerous. The ProForm 6.0’s belt is 19 inches wide by 50 inches long. The rule of thumb if you are doing any comparing is that a belt should be at least 17 inches wide by 48 inches long. When I was on this machine I was very comfortable. Although I have been on other treadmills with longer and wider belts I felt that 19 by 50 was comfortable. The walks and climbs I took on this model were actually quite good. The machine is quiet enough.

~Treadmills these days call the impact system on treadmills by various names. The 6.0 has what ProForm calls an AirTek Impact Absorption system. They say that this will reduce the impact on my joints by up to 15% as compared to road running with this superior absorption system, delivering the perfect balance of comfort and joint protection. ProForm has all sorts of names for their decks further confusing the consumer. One is called ProSoft and also is said to reduce impact by up to 15%. I have also been on ProForm treadmills with decks (Pro Sox Impact Absorption) that claim to reduce impact by 30%. I haven’t noticed a marked difference and wouldn’t choose one with an impact system that claims 30% over 15% just for that reason.

~The console is large. I found two integrated water bottle holders and two places in which I could put my workout gloves and towel. Many ProForm treadmills have handles that loop.

~The handles on the 6.0 have a slight curve to them. They don’t make a loop. I’m noting the curved handles only because I found them to be a little different. I usually don’t hold onto handles while on a treadmill but if you do I think you’ll find these nice.

~The console has a fan and a safety clip. This clip you can attach to your clothes. What happens is if you fall or start to fall the machine will stop immediately.

~One really strange and negative aspect to the 6.0 is the heart rate sensor. I have never encountered this. In order to get my heart rate I had to step on the foot rails (The sides of the belt.) and hold the sensors for about 15 seconds. This is crazy. Even if I chose one of the pre-programmed heart rate workouts I would have to stand on the foot rails to get my heart rate. I do monitor my heart rate. One of these days I’ll get my own heart rate monitor. Having to essentially stop my workout made no sense to me but that’s how this machine works.

In addition I couldn’t input my age or weight making this what I consider a really bad choice but I’ll continue.

About the console:

The 6.0 has a 5 by 7 Matrix console that showed me my time, speed, incline level, calories burned, pace, heart rate and a graph that shows me the program I chose. The programs are also shown in graph form so I knew what the programs looked like. In other words I knew if there were large inclines or small increments between inclines. Although the machine has the QuickSpeed and QuickIncline feature that many ProForm treadmills have I could change the speed or incline at any time with the arrow buttons. The machine inclines to 10% and the speed goes from 0 to 10 miles per hour. These are definitely adequate for a good workout.

I found a track that monitored my workout. Each lap equaled one quarter of a mile. This machine also has a carbohydrate counter which I personally think is a waste of money and totally unnecessary,

The machine has six programs. Four are programmed and two are also programmed but designed as a heart program.

I mentioned the QuickSpeed and QuickIncline features. I do like these. These allow me to increase my speed or decrease it or increase or decrease my incline level immediately. I don’t have to push the incline or decline button for each tenth of a mile per hour faster that I want to walk or for each level of incline I want to walk.

My thoughts:

I was probably pretty clear already but in case I wasn’t this is a below average machine. Although I was fine with the size of the belt and the deck the deal breaker is having to get on the foot rails to check my heart rate. Adding the lack of being able to input my age or weight makes this machine in my opinion a waste of money.

Please feel free to leave me a question or comment.

My other equipment reviews can be found here.

Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number PFTL51105C2

Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number PFTL51105C2

This is the replacement walking belt for the Proform 6.0GSX treadmill. Model number PFTL51105C2.
Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number PFTL51105C3

Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number PFTL51105C3

This is the replacement walking belt for the Proform 6.0GSX treadmill. Model number PFTL51105C3.
Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Motor Drive Belt Model Number PFTL51105C3

Proform 6.0GSX Treadmill Motor Drive Belt Model Number PFTL51105C3

This is the replacement motor drive belt for the Proform 6.0GSX treadmill. Model number PFTL51105C3.
Proform 6.0 Gsx Tread Front Roller Model Number Pftl511053 Part Number 235253

Proform 6.0 Gsx Tread Front Roller Model Number Pftl511053 Part Number 235253

Welcome To Treadmill Doctor's Ebay Store Treadmill Reviews Treadmill Best Buy Elliptical Reviews Elliptical Best Buy Treadmill Doctor Blog Treadmill B...

ProForm Power 995 C Treadmill

ProForm Power 995 C Treadmill

Find treadmills at Target.com! Innovative technology, powerful features, real comfort the proform power 995c treadmill delivers everything you need to...

ProForm ZT6 Treadmill

ProForm ZT6 Treadmill

The ProForm ZT6 Treadmill features a Coolaire workout fan and 18 preset workouts.
Academy Sports and Outdoors

ProForm Performance 300 Treadmill Multicolor - PFTL39513

ProForm Performance 300 Treadmill Multicolor - PFTL39513

Shop for Treadmills from Hayneedle.com! The ProForm Performance 300 Treadmill provides everything you need to get your cardio workouts completed right...
Hayneedle

Proform Treadmill Accessory Kit

Proform Treadmill Accessory Kit

Have Questions? Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us | Store Policy ProForm Treadmill Accessory Kit OUR SKU# PFO1122 | MPN: TMAK213 Condition Brand...

Proform ZT6 Treadmill

Proform ZT6 Treadmill

Treadmill helps you customize your workouts with preset suggestions, one-touch speed and incline adjustments, and an LCD tracking screen: ZT 6 Treadmi...
Groupon

Proform Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers

Proform Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers

Proform Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No.Weight: 4 lbs.1 Year Warranty.Quantity On...