Pupperoni Nawsomes Reviews

Pupperoni Nawsomes

Pup-peroni Not Just a San Francisco Treat

Oct 22, 2005 (Updated Oct 24, 2005)

Pros:Our dogs love its taste and aroma. Number one ingredient is beef.

Cons:Pricier than other snacks.

The Bottom Line: My dogs love Pupperoni. It's a great occasional treat to use for reward or training.

Pupperoni Paradise

As I walk to the kitchen with a yearnin for snack
I take a look at my dish and realise I ain’t got Jack.
Coz I've been eating wheat filler for so long, that
Even my stomach knows that something is wrong
But I ain't never ate a snack like stick Pupperoni
Got beef listed number one and that’s no baloney
Look at those ingredients, just make it your expedience
Beef-by-products, soy grits, sugar and liver
Even onion extract, but only a sliver
It’s got red # forty, but merely for color, fool
One is five inches long, big bag 8.4 ounces,
Don’t taste like no chicken,what my best homie hound says.

Been spending most our lives, living in the Pupperoni paradise
Ain’t telling you no jives, living in the Pupperoni paradise
Keep spending most our lives, snacking in the Pupperoni paradise
Keep spending most our lives, snacking in the Pupperoni paradise

Over the past eight years many brands and types of snacks have fallen in and out of favor with Evie, our formerly finicky bichon frise. One of the few constants has been Pup-peroni, a soft, chewy snack, visually similar to a Slim Jim. Evie can wolf down a Pup-peroni in seconds; so it’s best we break it into small gulp size pieces for safety and health. Piper, our young shih tzu, is more ladylike in her dining habits, but she loves Pup-peroni just the same. Just the sight of that bright, red bag can send both of them into a doggy frenzy.

Pup-peroni, a soft, chewy, pencil thin snack was introduced in 1986. It is a product of Del Monte Foods. Other pet products in the Del Monte kennel are: 9 Lives, Cycle, Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘n Bits, Nature’s Recipe, Reward, Skippy, Jerkey Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce, Snausages, and Wagwells.

Original Beef in the distinctive red packaging is the Pup-peroni flavor we mostly buy. Other variations in the Pup-peroni family are: Lean Beef, Beef & Cheese, Sizzlin’ Bacon, Bacon, and Lamb & Rice Lean. I buy the Lean Beef when I can find it, and the pooches like it just as well as the regular, though it has 75% less fat. The Lamb and Rice flavor sounds appealing for dogs with allergies, but a read of the ingredients reveals that the contents are basically the same as the other Pup-peroni flavors with lamb and rice added. Both are far down in the ingredient list. The Lamb and Rice label on this derivative is a disconcerting and misleading misnomer.

Original Beef Flavor Ingredients:
Beef, meat by-products, soy grits, sugar, liver, salt, propylene glycol, garlic powder, onion extract, caramel color, natural smoke flavor, potassium sorbate, sodium nitrite, red 40, BHA

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 24% minimum
Crude Fat 12% minimum
Crude Fiber 2.0% maximum
Moisture 24% maximum

According to the Pup-peroni web site the Lean Beef and Lamb and Rice Lean flavors have 3-7% fat by comparison. The first six ingredients listed for each of these two flavors are: beef, wheat flour, soy flour, corn syrup, soybean meal, and water sufficient for processing.

Pup-peroni is probably the favorite snack of Evie and Piper. It’s a great training tool because they’ll do anything for it. Evie has even learned how to play the guitar with the Pup-peroni motivation. Proof is on my profile page. Because of its high cost relative to other canine snacks, Pupperoni is only an occasional treat for my two pooches. This tightwad canine dad mostly buys it when it’s on sale or he finds a coupon for it in the Sunday paper. One concern I have is that the ingredients listed on the package in front of me (purchased last week) and those on the web site don’t totally coincide. The guaranteed analysis numbers also don’t match. Strange.

RAPPING IT UP

They call me Evie. I’m a bichon frise.
Pupperoni’s my fave is what I say.
When my two b*tch crew is sittin’ ‘n chillin’
We want Pupperoni in our tummies fillin’.

Pupperoni,Pupperoni
No macaroni

Ain’t got no fish, ain’t got no baloney
Has mostly beef and that ain’t phoney.
They come in six flavas and taste so good
We need us a bunch for all of the hood.

Pupperoni Pupperoni
Don’t make us bony

AND THAT’S A RAP.

Thanks for stopping by this review.

CafePress Pupperoni Pizza Light T-Shirt

CafePress Pupperoni Pizza Light T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com