Pure Essence Labs Ionic Fizz Magnesium Plus, Worlds Best Absorbed Magnesium 171 G., 30 Servings Supplement

Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus

Feb 17, 2010

Pros:Easily absorbed, enhances absorption of calcium, tastes okay, contains other supplements

Cons:Very expensive, hard to find

The Bottom Line: A good ionic magnesium, but I have found a much cheaper ionic magnesium that I like more

Back in November my doctor ordered a DEXA bone scan, which showed I have osteopenia.  Osteopenia is loss in bone density, but not quite to the extent of being osteoporosis, and my doctor recommended a few supplements for me to take on a daily basis to help strengthen my bones.

She felt I needed 300-400 mg of magnesium three times a day, and highly recommended ionic magnesium, if I could find it.  I found out through a friend that Fred Meyer carries Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus, made by Pure Essence Labs.

I was a bit put off by the high cost of Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus.  It only came in a small 6 ounce container, yet retailed for over $20.00!  I really didn't want to pay that, but it was the only ionic magnesium I could find, so I did.

The label claims that this is the world's best absorbed magnesium, and that it is sugar free.  It also states that Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus enhances absorption of calcium, and improves sleep, mood and energy.

The powder itself is a very pale pink, and smells like Kool Aid.  Mine is the raspberry lemonade flavor, and it really does have a lemonade like flavor, however I just finished this container, and it tasted much better the first few times than it did the last few.  I almost dreaded taking it every day.

I have since found a cheaper way to get my ionic magnesium, as I found Natural Calm in a health food store, and their 16 ounce container was only $28, for almost three times as much product!  It is also raspberry lemon flavored, but it contains only magnesium.  The Ionic-Fizz contains (per included scoop):

Vitamin A: 250 IU
Vitamin C: 250 mg (From ascorbic acid)
Vitamin D3: 100 IU
Ionic Potassium: 100 mg
Silica (from Bamboo leaf: 60 mg
Ionic Trace Minerals: 10 mg
Ionic Boron: 500 mcg

I love that Ionic-Fizz is sweetened with stevia, as I really don't like to consume some of the artificial sweeteners on the market.  Stevia generally has a slightly bitter taste to it, but Ionic-Fizz is sweet and sour, with no real bitterness.  It mixes easily with 6 ounces of water, but if I don't drink it immediately, some of the power does tend to settle at the bottom (or on the sides) of my glass.  It always cleans up well, with no residue on my glassware after they have been run through the dishwasher, but I always rinse the glasses out first.

Ionic-Fizz does have a slight "fizz" to it, but it is not like drinking a carbonated beverage, and it's not as fizzy as medications like Alka Seltzer.  As far as the claims "improves sleep, mood and energy", I have not noticed thisBut being back on HRT has greatly enhanced both, so it's hard to say if the Ionic-Fizz has anything to do with that.

My doctor didn't tell me why ionic magnesium is better than magnesium capsules, but the label on the back of the container does explain this somewhat.  In a nutshell, it explains that as we age we produce less stomach acid, which means magnesium is harder to absorb (magnesium is ionized by stomach acid).  Ionic magnesium allows maximum absorption, "even in the weakest digestive tracts".

According to Pure Essence Labs, this product is free of wheat, corn, soy, yeast, gluten, animal products, and common allergens.  The company guarantees customer satisfaction.

Although this doesn't taste too bad, I like the taste of Natural Calm better, although it contains only magnesium.  Ionic-Fizz has many other supplements added to it.  However, most of those vitamins and minerals are already in my other daily vitamins, so I don't really need
them in my ionic magnesium.

One caution when taking magnesium, too much will cause diarrhea, so my doctor said to take it until I am comfortably loose, then back off.  For me, I can only take Ionic-Fizz once or twice daily, which is the recommended dose (and not the 300 mg three times a day that my doctor prescribed).

Pure Essence Labs - Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla Flavor - 14.82 oz.

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Non-Tart Orange-Vanilla Flavor -14.82 oz. (420 grams) Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calci...
LuckyVitamin.com

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla 7.41 oz Powder

Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla by Pure Essence Labs 7.41 oz Powder Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla This wonderful p...
Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Orange-Vanilla 342 Grams

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Orange-Vanilla 342 Grams

Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Orange-Vanilla 342 Grams. Magnesium is the world's most overlooked nutrient. Without it calcium cannot be efficiently depo...
PureFormulas.com

Pure Essence Labs - Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Mixed Berry Flavor - 14.82 oz.

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Non-TartMixed BerryFlavor -14.82 oz. (420 grams) Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Pl...

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Mixed Berry 342 Grams

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Mixed Berry 342 Grams

Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus - Mixed Berry 342 Grams. Magnesium is the world's most overlooked nutrient. Without it calcium cannot be efficiently deposit...
PureFormulas.com

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla 14.82 oz Powder

Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla by Pure Essence Labs 14.82 oz Powder Ionic-Fizz Super D-K Calcium Plus Orange-Vanilla This wonderful ...
Ionic-Fizz Calcium Plus Raspberry Lemonade (210 grams) by Pure Essence Labs

Ionic-Fizz Calcium Plus Raspberry Lemonade (210 grams) by Pure Essence Labs

The calcium that is vital for strong bones can reach your bones only when sufficient magnesium is also present. When calcium does not reach the bones,...
4AllVitamins

Pure Essence Labs - Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus Mixed Berry Flavor - 6.03 oz.

Pure Essence Labs - Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus Mixed Berry Flavor - 6.03 oz.

Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Non-TartMixed-Berry Magnesium Plus -6.03 oz. (171 grams) Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Magnesium Plus is the world's fines...