Alpo Variety Snaps: Giving Your Dog Variety with a Snap of Real Meat

Sep 9, 2003

Pros:4 Different Flavors, Real Meat Used, No By Products

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Alpo Variety Snaps are wonderful and my dog Casey loves them. They come in 4 great flavors with real meat added.

My dog has never really liked Alpo in the can and even though they have great sales on their food, he would begrudgingly eat his dinner. I started to realize that he just didn’t care for their canned items. So when I saw a sale on Alpo Variety Snaps at Target about a year ago, I wasn’t sure whether to get them or not. They were 50% off bringing them to under $2.00 and I figured why not give it a try.

By looking at the front of the box, you see the Variety of Snaps that Alpo offers in their actual size and there are four flavors. The net wt of the box is 32 oz / 2 lbs and the Alpo Variety Snaps are considered treats for your pet. When I checked out the back of the box there was a breakdown of the Alpo Variety Snap.

The four flavors are:

Chicken
Beef
Liver
Lamb

There are four main features to the Alpo Variety Snap:

1) They have “fortified calcium and phosphorus” (taken from packaging) which help build stronger teeth and stronger bones for your dog
2) In order to maintain a nice shiny coat, there are 11 essential vitamins in each snap
3) For the best digestion process Alpo added in “natural oat fiber” (taken from packaging
4) Your dog’s muscles will be strong from eating the “high quality” of protein that is in the snaps which contain real meat

By taking a chance on the Alpo Variety Snaps, I figured if Casey did not care for them then I could give them to my mother who owns four dogs and I know would eat them since they eat just about anything. Well the verdict about Casey a year later is that he LOVES them. He sees me pull down the box from the shelf and goes nuts. He hears the rattle of the snaps inside and he knows it is treat time. He really likes them and that says a lot to me because he is one of the pickiest eaters I know. He has tried other treats and not liked them at all and just played with them dropping and picking them up with his mouth. The Alpo Variety Snaps are a hit though for Casey and he is really thrilled that I got them for him.

A box of Alpo Variety Snaps usually lasts me 3-4 months since there are so many in a box. I usually give him about 3-4 every so often while I am treating my cat. You have to be fair. It is a great deal. I think normally the box is around $3.00 which is still inexpensive for doggie treats. I have bought more expensive ones that Casey won’t even begin to touch. So we both get a great deal out of it.

************************************************************************

Vitamin A (min) = 5000.0 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) = 50.0 IU/kg
Thiamin (min) = 1.2 mg/kg

Ingredients of the Alpo Variety Snaps
wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin e), beef, chicken, liver, soy flour, lamb, calcium carbonate, oat fiber, tricalcium phosphate, added color (yellow 5 and other color), natural flavor, vitamin e supplement, BHA ( a preservative), citric acid, vitamin a supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, rinoflavin supplement, vitamin b-12 supplement, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin d-3 supplement, pyrodixine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin

Alpo can be contacted via website at www.alpo.com
Alpo is owned by Purina who can be contacted via website at www.purina.com

*****************************************************************

Alpo is a great company that I like and I wish that Casey enjoyed their canned food as well but he has his idiosyncrasies just like me. The Alpo Variety Snaps come in four great flavors which he equally loves as well. They are made with real meat so you aren’t feeding your dog “by products” which I really try to avoid but it seems to occur in canned food everywhere. Every since Purina merged with Alpo, I think they have been still creating the same great products that animals love. The variety with the snaps is great so my dog doesn’t get sick of them. They are light and I haven’t noticed any weight change in them this year from eating them so the calories must be small. All together Alpo Variety Snaps is a decent treat for your dog.

So if you are looking to treat your dog in a Snap, then buy the Alpo Variety Snaps, which they will be sure to love. Casey agrees!

Until next time,