Pyrex Loaf Pan (1.5-Qt.) Reviews

Pyrex Loaf Pan (1.5-Qt.)

Pyrex Loaf Pan - NO Rust!!

May 14, 2007

Pros:Won't rust, is very versatile, and is see through.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I threw out my old rusty loaf pans and replaced them with Pyrex, which is superior in many ways. A truly great product that will last for years.

We have company for dinner every Tuesday evening, and a couple months ago I made meatloaf and I know I detected an "off" taste. Nobody else tasted it, but my tastebuds are very sensitive, and I definitely noticed something off. When I was washing up the dinner dishes, I noticed a discoloration on the bottom of my metal non-stick loaf pan.

My friend mentioned that I should give the glass loaf pans a try. I had never even considered purchasing them, I have always bought the metal pans. What a great idea she had! And lucky for me, (because I am a frugal shopper) my local grocer had a buy 2 get 1 free sale on all Pyrex products soon after. I picked up two of the Pyrex loaf pans and a set of four Pyrex custard cups.

Description

Pyrex is a trademark of the Corning Incorporation, and is a very sturdy type of glass bakeware that has been around for years.

This loaf pan is a bit more shallow than my metal loaf pans, but it is adequate for cooking items like meatloaf or a loaf of homemade bread.

It measures 4.5" wide x 8.5" long x 3" deep. There are two glass handles on each end that make it easier to take out of the oven, especially with bulky potholders on my hands.

The bottom of the pan states that it holds 1.5 quarts (or 1.5 L), and also has the dimensions stamped there. While it says that the product is 2.5" deep, I measured it and it does indeed measure 3". The bottom also reads that this holds 1.5 Liters, while the label from the package reads 1.4 Liters. Don't know why there are a few discrepancies, but they are there.

The pan also has stamped in the bottom: NO rangetop and NO broiler. Pyrex cannot tolerate direct heat sources such as the stovetop, broiler, toaster oven, or microwave browner. The glass will shatter if used in a method other than what it is intended for. It can be used in a preheated oven, microwave, or convection oven.

Thoughts

What a pleasure it is to cook with my Pyrex loaf pan. My husband and I have both been into making homemade bread lately, especially Artisan bread, and the recipe states specifically that it should be baked in Pyrex.

My Pyrex loaf pan does not have the non-stick surface that my metal teflon pans do, but as long as I spray it with a non-stick spray like Pam, I have no problems.

The glasswear cleans up easily when washed either by hand or in my dishwasher.

Pyrex is made of a non-porous glass, which means it will not absorb food flavors or odors and it will not stain.

It is also non-reactive, meaning that acidic liquids or substances like tomato, vinegar or lemon can all be used without a chemical reaction changing the taste of foods. With Pyrex, flavors will remain true.

Another good reason to buy Pyrex is that they are made in America. I always do try to buy American made products when I can.

I like the fact that I can see how my foods are cooking since the Pyrex loaf pan is clear. I have cooked meatloaf, wheat bread, banana & zucchini bread, and pound cake. I have a dessert recipe that layers anglefood cake, strawberries and cool whip. It serves up nice in this Pyrex pan, and it's nice to see the different colors and layers. It would also be fine for making one of those seven layer salads. This definitely has a lot more uses than a loaf of bread or meatloaf, but if you have a good meatloaf recipe, baking it in this loaf pan will render great results!

Over the years I have discarded more metal bread pans than I care to admit. They all look so nice when new, but they scratch easily and then those scratches end up rusting. Even when the rust spots are scrubbed well with a brillo pad, they leave the tell tale taste behind. No more of that for me, it will be Pyrex in my cupboard from now on. And let me tell you, it felt GREAT throwing out my two metal loaf pans.

It can be used in the oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher. No more throwing away metal loaf pans every year or two! If these Pyrex loaf pans holds up as well as my other Pyrex bakeware, they will last for years. The regular price was only $5.99, which is very reasonable for a product of this quality.

Pyrex comes with a two year warranty. I give Pyrex Loaf Pans two thumbs up.

My favorite Strawberry Angelfood Layer Cake:

One angel food cake (homemade or store bought), if you can't find it in your store readymade, use a pound cake

1 pound strawberries
1 16 oz tub of cool whip (or homemade whipped cream)

Slice angel food cake into 2" thick strips and alternate layers of cake, sliced strawberries and cool whip, ending with cool whip. Garnish with a few strawberry slices and enjoy!

1105807 Easy Grab Red 9 x 5 Loaf Pan Plastic Lid

1105807 Easy Grab Red 9 x 5 Loaf Pan Plastic Lid

Easy Grab Red Plastic 1-1/2-qt Loaf Cover (9x 5) Refrigerator, Microwave and Top-Rack Dishwasher Safe Model: OV-C-213 Limited 1-Year Warranty
Pyrex 213 -r Bread/meat Loaf Pan Clear Glass 1.5 Qt (8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5)

Pyrex 213 -r Bread/meat Loaf Pan Clear Glass 1.5 Qt (8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5)

usasecondhand Store NEW PYREX 213 -R Bread/Meat Loaf Pan Clear Glass 1.5 QT (8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5) * BUY NOW * DON T WAIT TO THE LAST DAY YOU LL BE LEFT OU...
Pyrex Originals-Clear Loaf Pan, Fine China Dinnerware - Clear,Baking&Cookware

Pyrex - Pyrex Fireside Loaf Pan - Amber,Kitchenware,Ovenware
Replacements, Ltd.

Farberware 9 x 5 Loaf Pan, Gray

Farberware 9 x 5 Loaf Pan, Gray

Create delectable treats and meals in your oven at home with the help of this Faberware Loaf Pan. It is constructed with a durable carbon-steel materi...

1 lb. Bread Loaf Pan 9 x 4 1/2

1 lb. Bread Loaf Pan 9 x 4 1/2

The 1 lb. loaf pan is made of corrosion-resistant, steel-aluminum material that withstands temperatures in excess of 700 degrees Fahrenheit. The Bake ...
The WEBstaurant Store
Circulon 9 in. x 5 in. Loaf Pan 51136

Circulon 9 in. x 5 in. Loaf Pan 51136

Shop for Cooking & Food Preparation at The Home Depot. A commonly requested size in recipes for yeast breads, quick breads, and pound cakes, this 9-in...
Home Depot

Pyrex Easy Grab 1.5 Qt. Loaf Dish 1085799

Pyrex Easy Grab 1.5 Qt. Loaf Dish 1085799

Pyrex 1085799 Pyrex glass bakeware/cookware is a must have for any serious kitchen. Each individual piece can be used for baking, cooking, microwavin...
Wayfair

Casa.com

Circulon Bakeware 9 x 5 Loaf Pan

Circulon Bakeware 9 x 5 Loaf Pan

From pound cake to meatloaf, this sturdy loaf pan is designed for even browning, so you produce professional results every time. Baked foods release w...
QVC