RCA RP7887 AM/FM Radio Reviews

RCA RP7887 AM/FM Radio

RCA Super AM/FM radio (model RP7887)

Nov 20, 2008

Pros:A great AM and FM radio for the money.

Cons:Useless bandwidth switch.

The Bottom Line: Here is a very competent AM and FM radio for a very reasonable price. If you enjoy listening to broadcast radio, this might be for you.

The RCA Super radio (model RP7887) is a continuance of the General Electric 7-2887 Superadio III. Apparently, the name 'Superadio' didn't change hands when it went from being General Electric to RCA. I will play along by referring to it as the 'Super radio'.

The Super radio is fairly large, roughly one foot tall and 15 inches wide. Powered by either 120VAC or 6 'D' cells, its monaural sound comes out through two speakers (full range and a tweeter) or a stereo headphone jack (headphones optional).

Featuring a large tuning knob, separate bass and treble knobs, there is also a bandwidth control for AM reception. I have been listening to AM radio for years and have owned many radios. The bandwidth switch is  really not necessary as listening to it in 'wide' merely blurs all nearby stations together... it should have been labeled 'Superwide'. Figure on using it on 'Narrow' always. The bandwidth switch has no effect on the FM band. The audio quality is quite good, just don't expect it to rattle windows like Junior's 10-subwoofer Honda Civic. There are terminals for external AM and FM antennas if you want a bit more oomph than the telescoping FM antenna or the very large internal ferrite rod AM antenna offers.

Anyone who expects this radio to perform like a several hundred dollar receiver will be disappointed. I believe that GE designed this radio to be above average for AM and FM listening. They delivered. If you are buying this to replace an old Superadio I or II, you will notice that the radio has a decidedly 'Made in China' feel. I sold the original Superadio in the mid 1970s. it sold then for the same price as it does  now, about $50. The original was a better radio, but not by that much.

I have compared this radio on the AM (MW) band alongside other radios in its price range and it is worth at least what it sells for. If you are interested in a high performance radio but unwilling to shell out money for features that you won't use, I highly recommend this radio. For the informal AM DX'er (listening to distant AM stations) or anyone who wants to listen to a faraway sports game, this radio is outstanding.

A high performance SUPER RADIO III AM/FM radio is still our best long-range performance and selectivity radio 2-Way Speaker System The built-in 2-Way ...