BlackBerry Pearl 8220 - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone Reviews

May 3, 2009

• Clarity:
  • Portability:
  • Battery Life:

Pros:Easy to use, Nice sound quality, Great look

Cons:Few minor things, nothing big

The Bottom Line: This is a great phone, I feel I don't use it to the full potential of it, but it works for everything I need it to.

I really hate spending money on phones; if possible, I will keep my phone for as long as possible, so I don't have to get a new one. Other than the money, I hate having to learn how the phone works, from switching brands, or just the new updates from not having a "newer" phone with the up to date items. I have only used flip phones, and that is all I will ever use, I just can't stand having phones which don't close, for I hate the lock feature on those.

However, when I saw the commercials for the new BlackBerry Pearl Flip, I first thought of the "butt dialing" and funny yet true scenario. Then I thought about how I have needed a new phone, and many people I know use BlackBerry, but they were never flip phones, and so I could finally try one of these phones out. (Having my phone going dead was just a bonus in deciding to get a new phone). Before I continue on about the phone, I want to go back to the commercial. When I first got my phone, I was messing with one of my friends' who has one of the regular BlackBerry's about my phone being better because I don't ever have to worry about the lock, and just that it looked cooler. The next day, I got a call from her at around 7:15am, (found out when I woke up). I called her back to return her call, to find out that she had accidently butt dialed me when she was driving. Now all I could say to her was that she perfectly fit the commercial where the regular called the flip.

Now let's get on to the phone.

What I like about the phone:
When I first started up the phone, the first thing I noticed was the ease of working with it. Since I got my phone over at T-Mobile's store, the salesman was extremely helpful in getting the phone set up, and working so I could start use once I got home. I have not figured out all the gismos involved with this phone yet, but those which I have, are great, and useful. The calculator programmed into the phone is easy to see, and easy to use. Now I have not bought the web pack, so I do not get the cool features like email, web browsing, instant messengers, things like that, but I really didn't want to buy the data plan for $30.

I mainly use the games, texting, music, and phone calls. The games which come with the phone are actually fun (well at least for me). It comes with Texas Hold'Em, BrickBreaker, Word Mole, Sudoku, Klondike, and Trooper Typing. Now I am used to texting where I have to go back, and find anything which I have sent/received to people in two different folders, and not anywhere near each of the other messages. Now this BlackBerry System organizes your texts where they show up under that person's name, and you can read the other messages before you send the new one, so you are able to make sure you are talking about the right thing. The music player is a nice feature on this phone. Yes most phones has a player in which can play music, this phone has nice sound to it, and is loud enough so you can actually hear it. I keep my phone in a holder on my belt, and even when it is holster, and under my shirt, I can still hear it with a nice crisp sound. Than the phone calls is just that my old phone must have been dying, and it's nice that I can now hear people clearly, and they can hear me back.

A nice feature this phone has is Bluetooth. This is a nice wireless ability most newer phones have built right into them. Just before this, I have bought a new car as well. My car has the voice activation, Bluetooth capability where I can talk to people over the speakers in my car. So the ease use of having that with the phone makes driving and talking extremely easy, and a lot safer.

If you do buy the phone, that holder really does help, it's a nice looking phone, and you really don't want any scratches getting on it. I have had my phone for about 3 months now, and that has kept my phone nice and safe.

What I don't like about the phone:
Every now and then, the phone starts to get a little slow. When you open up different applications, you really have to make sure you close it the right way, otherwise it keeps it open still. Yes it's nice that it goes to an easy navigation feature, but if you actually want it turned off, it's a bit annoying.

BlackBerry Instant Messenger is another thing which I just don't care for. I have heard many great things about it, and that it is easy to use. Now I have met 3 other people who have a BlackBerry, and I cannot find anyone that knows how to use it. I tried doing the PIN thing, and it just does not work. Turned out to be too much of a hassle, and I just decided to do the regular texting. Good thing this feature is not a deal breaker, and if you know how to use it already, shouldn't be a problem.

Notes on Specific Parts:
Screen - The view on this is great. It is a nice big screen, where the picture comes in nice, and you don't have to worry about not being able to see one of the menu options.

Keys - This has a QWERTY key setup. Unlike some of the other phones, this does not have one key to each letter, but they have the same line up as they would a keyboard. It is a bit confusing at first, but makes it extremely easy to text/type. They keep two letters to most of the keys, except the o, l and m have their own keys.

Camera - This is the first phone that I have had that the camera has a flash. The view can zoom in nice and far, and is clear. I have taken a few pictures, but that really isn't a big thing for me, but still works nice.

Address List - This is kept nice and neat. I don't like how when you reach the ends, it doesn't go back to the other side z-a, you have to go all the way back up. It is nice that he has the search feature, so you just click a letter, and it starts knocking names down to find the one you want without scrolling. The views are limited, and if you just want to see the names, it works fine.

I hope this helped you in deciding whether or not the BlackBerry would fit your needs. I use this as a personal phone, and not a work phone, so it may differ in what you are trying to use. I think this phone really does the job, and I haven't had any problems yet.

Recommended for: Professionals On-the-Go - Internet and Email is a Must!

NEW BLACKBERRY Pearl 8220 WiFi AT T T-MOB. SMARTPHONE Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge DESCRIPTION 1. The phone is unlocked and we h...

Please allow a reasonable response time to emails before leaving negative or neutral feedback or filing a dispute. We will take care of every problem ...
Blackberry 8220 Black Unlocked GSM Cell Phone Phone is in gently used condition. Overall looks great!