R.W. Knudsen Family Just Red Tart Cherry, 32-Ounce (Pack of 12) (Knudsen Family) Reviews

Pucker Up! (With Just Tart Cherry Juice)

Sep 9, 2011 (Updated Sep 9, 2011)

Pros:Pure, organic, tart, flavorful, healthy, unsweetened.

Cons:Addictive! Bottle could be bigger. 32 ounces gets finished quickly.

The Bottom Line: It's less sweet than most other juices, but that tartness brings anti-oxidants and less sugars overall. I love this juice!

For those who think 100% juice is too sweet and full of empty calories, you've never tried Knudsen's Organic Just Tart Cherry.

I'm one of those purists who buys only unsweetened juices. I dislike juices with added corn syrup, sugar or added colors or flavors. I usually buy refrigerated juices at the supermarket, but for some reason, I stopped by the aisle with bottled juices of every type. My eyes lit upon Knudsen Organic Just Tart Cherry and locked on the cheery cherries. I'm glad I plucked up two bottles, because this first bottle has only lasted a few days.

My daughter tried this pure cherry juice first, and said, "Mom, this is not very sweet!" I thought her initial impression was great; she would leave it alone so I would not have to share. But this morning when I went for some, the bottle was almost empty. This means my teenager must be drinking it and enjoying the taste of juice that's not cloyingly sweet.

So how does it look and taste?
This dark purple juice appears more like grape juice than what you might normally think of cherry color (it's not bright red). That's OK with me ~ if it were lighter in color, I would suspect other juices were added to dilute the product. Nope, this juice is created by adding filtered water to pure Organic Red Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate. Nothing else! It tastes pretty tart, but with a hint of sweet cherry flavor. It's tart enough to make your mouth pucker, with a slight astringency on your tongue after each sip. It's a good juice for sipping, and fairly refreshing. If you're used to sweeter juices like apple or grape, you might be surprised by the tartness at first, but the flavor grows on you. I found myself pouring "just a little more" several times.

I don't enjoy drinking this juice diluted with water. Normally, I cut calories and sweetness by filling my glass halfway with water and ice, then topping off with juice. I tried diluting this tart cherry juice, and the result was drinkable but without much flavor. Because of the tartness, I prefer it full strength.

As far as nutrition is concerned, an 8 ounce serving provides 8 percent of your daily iron requirement. It also provides 24 grams of sugars, 12 percent of potassium and 130 calories. I assumed it had less calories than apple juice, for example, but it actually yields 10 calories more than an 8 ounce glass of 100% Apple Juice (with 26 grams of sugar). It's twice as delicious, though, to my palate. This juice is pasteurized.

Health Connection: According to some internet sources, Tart Cherry Juice contains a high amount of antioxidants, which are beneficial substances that help repair cells in our bodies.* And, although there's not much scientific studies to prove it, there is anecdotal evidence that cherries and cherry juice can help prevent gout attacks and/or alleviate the symptoms of an attack. I experienced a gout attack earlier this year, and it was a painful swelling in my foot and toes. One of the treatments I tried (in addition to seeing my doctor) was eating pounds of cherries. The attack receded after about a week, and I did think the cherries might have helped alleviate some of my discomfort. It could also have been a placebo effect, so I can't promise anything! (This isn't meant to be medical advice, but just a suggestion that some folks believe cherries might help. So please visit your doctor if you have gout or gout symptoms!)

Summing Up: This juice will wow you by not being too sweet, and actually tasting like cherries and not the artificial "cherry flavor" which some cherry-flavored drinks and products purport to taste like.

** source is cherryjuicepower dot com

R.W. Knudsen Family Organic Juice Apple 32 fl oz

R.W. Knudsen Family Organic Juice Apple 32 fl oz

In 1961, a harvest of grapes from organic vineyards in Paradise, California, inspired R.W. Knudsen to pioneer a new tradition of bottling natural frui...
Vitacost.com

R.w. Knudsen Family Organic Sensible Sippers Fruit Punch -- 8 Packs

R.w. Knudsen Family Organic Sensible Sippers Fruit Punch -- 8 Packs

NEW R.W. Knudsen Family Organic Sensible Sippers Fruit Punch -- 8 Packs $38.12 $50.95 Brother and Sister love the taste of juice. But to make sure the...

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7    Next >>