Raid House & Garden Bug Killer Spray 11oz

Raid -- the Multi-Bug Spray for House & Garden!

Nov 15, 2007 (Updated Nov 15, 2007)

Pros:simple instructions, easy to use, it works, no more bug infestations from my houseplants

Cons:toxic ingredients, lots of hazards and precautions

The Bottom Line: I don't want a house infested with small flies (yes, it happened!). Raid House & Garden to the rescue.

I prefer not to use chemicals to kill bugs, but sometimes I have no easy choice. That is why I use Raid House & Garden Spray.

Description & Ingredients

The green metal spray can contains 11 ounces. The plastic top has a push button that triggers a spray; it squirts out the opening on the side of the cap. When the cap is turned, the spray opening also swivels.

The instructions on the can are written in both English and Spanish. Use is simple: Shake the can. Hold it upright. Spray away from face.

This spray is designed to kill the following:

Crawling bugs – roaches, waterbugs, crickets, silverfish, centipedes, ticks, boxelder bugs, earwigs, caterpillars, millipedes, spiders, sow bugs.

Flying bugs – flies, mosquitoes, wasps, hornets, gnats and small moths.

Garden bugs – aphids, climbing cut worms, gypsy moth larvae, Japanese beetles, leafhoppers, red spider mites, exposed thrips, webworms, whiteflies.

Note: This spray is not for use on edible crops. It is only for use on ornamental plants. Also, this spray is not for spraying wasp or hornet nests ... just stray ones in the house.

Active Ingredients: d-cis trans allethrin (cis/trans isomer ratio: max 25% – cis and min 75% trans), 3-phenoxybenzyl d-cis and trans 2.2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylpropenyl) cyclopropanecarboxylate.

My Experiences

In the past, I’ve tried natural remedies to kill bugs on indoor houseplants. The homemade solutions and even natural store-bought bug treatments produced mixed results. My mother used Raid House & Garden for years, so after my failed natural attempts at bug control, I returned to the Raid.

Recently, I brought in houseplants that enjoyed a glorious summer outside. I’ll use the ivy plant as an example. The ivy was lush, growing in a plant pot. However, a few years ago, it brought in tiny black flies with it when I brought the plant indoors for the winter. It was a horrible experience! So last year and this year, I sprayed the ivy plant outdoors on the deck with this Raid spray after adding some water to the soil. Then I inserted the plant and pot into a plastic grocery bag. I tied the bag shut and inserted the bagged plant into another plastic bag, and then did this once more. The plant came inside and sat on the table for a week. The bug spray stayed in the bag, too. I didn’t smell it in the house.

I remember using my mother’s Raid House & Garden spray many years ago. It had a potent distinctive smell. Mind you, I don’t go out of my way to smell insecticides, but I couldn’t help but notice that this Raid smelled almost pleasant.

This spray works. It kills the insects on my houseplants. I never use it in or near the garden, though. I have an organic garden that I do my best to keep that way!

Cautions

In large letters the can says: Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals. Remove pets and birds and cover fish aquariums before using. Do not remain in enclosed areas after using this spray. Ventilate areas after returning to them. The spray is harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after using. Do not spray this around food or food preparation areas.

Note: Do not use this spray in temperatures over 90-degrees Fahrenheit.

Read all the warnings and instructions on the can before using this product.

Purchasing

A can of this Raid House & Garden spray for about at my local department and hardware stores.

Summary

I only use this Raid House & Garden Spray when other alternatives do not work. It does an excellent job at helping me kill the bugs on houseplants I’m moving from the outdoors to inside the house.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer Spray