H. Stephen Glenn, Stephen Glenn, Jane Nelsen - Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People

Excellent Parenting Resource

Dec 6, 2001

Pros:Well-researched, interesting reading, and positive plans for parenting

Cons:I would like to see more research from the last ten years

The Bottom Line: This book is extremely helpful in raising responsible children. I want to read this book every year, just to make sure I am still progressing as a parent.

Overview

In the first two chapters, the authors show us the positive aspects of life that fostered self-reliance in the past, and the factors that led to the loss or diminished capacity of self-reliance. The third chapter outlines seven skills necessary to the development of self-reliance in our children today. Chapters 4-10 discuss what skills are needed, and common reactions or barriers that hinder progress. These skills include:

* Perception of personal Capabilities – we can meet life’s challenges and learn from them.
* Perception of personal Significance – we are able to contribute to the world
* Perception of personal Influence – we are responsible for the our choices which form our lives
* Intrapersonal Skills – evaluating and managing our emotions and actions
* Interpersonal Skills – effectively dealing with those around us through
* Systemic Skills – understanding how society’s rules connect our actions and our lives.
* Judgment Skills – making decisions consistent with personal values and beliefs

Chapter 12 discusses how parents’/leaders’ perceptions of a child’s abilities affect the child’s success. We also learn that it is never too late to start. The final chapter discusses the price of change to parents and leaders. They need to take an active part in creating an atmosphere where children can learn self-reliance.

RECOMMENDATION

I would recommend this book to all parents and leaders. Parents with children of any age can benefit from the information in this book. Though many examples pertain to school age children, parents of toddlers will be able to develop the skills they need to help their children. Personally, I loved this book’s approach and insights.

The authors have a smooth writing style that is easy to follow and entertaining. I loved the detail and interesting research that was included. There are many examples from their own lives, which illustrate the principles that they are teaching. Also, they are humble enough to show us that they aren’t perfect parents but they are ever-learning too. The skills are attainable and helpful. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone.

Positive Discipline In The Classroom - Nelsen, Jane/ Lott, Lynn/ Glenn, H. Steph

Skechers Glenn Cinder Brown Boots Mens 13 Leather

Skechers Glenn Cinder Brown Boots Mens 13 Leather

YOU ARE VIEWING A BRAND NEW PAIR OF MENS SKECHERS BROWN GLENN CINDER BOOTS. BRAND NEW IN BOX.THANKS FOR LOOKING!! SKECHERS GLEN BOOTS Let your rugged ...

Positive Discipline A-Z by Jane;Stephen Glenn Nelsen

Positive Discipline A-Z by Jane;Stephen Glenn Nelsen

Free Delivery Worldwide : Positive Discipline A-Z : Paperback : Random House USA Inc : 9780307345578 : 0307345572 : 30 Apr 2007 : Brimming with soluti...
BookDepository.com

Soap.com

Unpredictable Men By Glenn Perri 3.4 Oz Edt Spray

Unpredictable Men By Glenn Perri 3.4 Oz Edt Spray

L Checkout Payment Shipping Contact Us Unpredictable Men by Glenn Perri 3.4 oz EDT Spray Description Made in France, 'Unpredictable' by Glenn Perri is...

Glenn Perri 'Unpredictable' Men's 3.4-ounce Eau de Toilette Spray

Glenn Perri 'Unpredictable' Men's 3.4-ounce Eau de Toilette Spray

Made in France, 'Unpredictable' by Glenn Perri is an undeniably sexy men's fragrance. It is recommended for casual wear.

Soap.com

Unpredictable Girl Perfume by Glenn Perri for Women EDP Spray 3.4 oz

Unpredictable Girl Perfume by Glenn Perri for Women EDP Spray 3.4 oz

Unpredictable Girl by Glenn Perri for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Fragrance Shop.com

Unbelievable for Women by Glenn Perri Eau De Parfum Spray 3.4 oz

Unbelievable for Women by Glenn Perri Eau De Parfum Spray 3.4 oz

Unbelievable for Women by Glenn Perri Eau De Parfum Spray 3.4 oz unbel34w Real Fragrances at Unreal Prices at FragranceX.com. Shop over 15,000 brand ...
FragranceX.com