Razer Lycosa RZ03-0018010-R3U1 Wired Keyboard Reviews

Razer Lycosa RZ03-0018010-R3U1 Wired Keyboard

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Poorly constructed and bad Razer customer service

Mar 19, 2010 (Updated Apr 1, 2010)

Pros:Very cool/techno look, nice backlighting, programmable

Cons:Not well made. Razer customer support is horrible.

The Bottom Line: Looks great, but is not well made; broke after 2 weeks normal use. Razer is totally useless in living up to warranty support. I DO NOT recommend buying this product.

I purchased a Razer Lycosa for my son to use, as he is an avid PC gamer. I am also a gamer. I have used Razer headsets and gaming mouse in the past, usually pretty good stuff.

INFO ABOUT THE LYCOSA:

- Fully programmable so you can record keystrokes to create a "macro" (execute several recorded keystrokes by pushing one button).

- Software for the keyboard is full featured and fairly easy to use. You have to download it from the Razer website.

- You can choose to just use the keyboard "out of the box". It is supposed to work fine as "plug-and-play".  In case you are not interested in loading the custom software from Razer to make the keyboard programmable. However we always made sure we had the software installed regardless.

- Keyboard is full size with standard key set; keys are well spaced and each letter is backlit (the letter itself is illuminated) in a cool looking blue color. The blacklighting on the keys can be turned off if you choose. However when the lighting is turned off, its very hard to see the symbols on the keys.

- Keyboard is a very slim profile and has a modern, techno look. Like something from a sci-fi movie.

- A built-in wrist support is designed with the keyboard, making it more ergonomic.

- USB and headphone jacks are integrated into the keyboard so you can plug a USB or standard gaming headset directly into the keyboard.

- Media controls (for playback of DVD or music, and sound) are controlled via a very slick touch pad in the upper right of the keyboard. Its sort of a "black glass" looking touch space. When the controls are not illuminated it just looks like a patch of black glass. You activate it by swiping your finger across it.

- The W A S and D keys are especially brightened so that they stand out for a PC game player (these are common keys for movement in first person shooter games, for example).  You can set the keyboard so that only these keys are illuminated.

- Keyboard plugs in via a USB connector; if you have the old style keyboard plug on your PC, this will not work (unless you buy an adapter).

- Keyboard lighting and controls are powered via USB (no external power cord needed).

EXPERIENCE IN ACTUAL USE:

After reading about the Lycosa, seeing pictures of it, looking at the box in the store, my son was totally hooked on the idea of having this keyboard.

However, once put in use it was a bit disappointing.

First, the keyboard is a bit lightweight and flimsy. It does not feel like something that would hold up to long term use. Its all made of plastic that has a cheap look and feel when you actually put your hands on it. However, it does look great in a dimly lit room when it is sitting there with the backlighting on.

Also, after just a few weeks of very normal use, this keyboard stopped working properly. Keys started sticking or not working, and the "black glass" control pad stopped working altogether.

We contacted Razer customer support. They were very slow to respond. First there were questions asking if the PC was broken, if the USB the keyboard was plugged into was broken, etc. Did we have the software installed, try reinstalling it, etc. We patiently did all the testing to prove that the keyboard itself was defective.

Finally after a few weeks of email and waiting for Razer to respond, they agreed a replacement was needed under warranty.

After several more days, they informed us that they had no replacement keyboards in stock for this popular model, and had no idea when they ever would. That is pretty much a direct quote. This was surprising as the keyboard seems to be in stock in stores everywhere.

They then tried to get us to accept a Razer "mirror edition" Lycosa (shiny black keys instead of the matte black, and this model is a poor seller that I saw retail for $25 less than the model we bought.)

Its been two weeks now waiting for Razer to send us an RMA (their next step which requires you to ship your defective keyboard back and then they will send you a replacement). Every email to ask them about it sits for 3 days before they give a cryptic reply.

At this point we have given up and thrown the Lycosa in the trash, and we got a different brand keyboard.

Honestly, the customer service at Razer US is terrible. They stall on fulfilling warranty obligations, and trying to replace defective models with with something you don't want? I suspect their whole purpose on warranty support, is to stall and play games until the customer just gives up (as I did).

I will not be eager to buy another Razer product; but I doubt they even care. Its a pity because I do like their gaming headsets. But there are other options there too. In terms of PC gaming keyboards, I recommend you check out Steelseries or Logitech gaming boards, both companies make very nice backlit, programmable gamer boards that are much better made.

Many one-star reviews of the Lycosa are posted on Amazon and other places on the web. A pattern of the same issues. The product does not have a good track record.

If you buy this keyboard, pray that nothing goes wrong with it, as Razer does not seem to be too focused on standing behind their product.

UDPATE: In the end, after a long (and clumsily handled by them) chain of discussions, Razer finally agreed to give me a "voucher" that can be used at their web store (after I provided them a copy of my receipt), equal to what I originally paid for the keyboard. It expires in 30 days.

Razer Keyboard Rz03-00550100-r3u1 Anansi Mmo Gaming 7 Thumb Modifier Key Retail

Razer Keyboard Rz03-00550100-r3u1 Anansi Mmo Gaming 7 Thumb Modifier Key Retail

Designed and engineered especially for the MMO gamer, the Razer Anansi is the world's first keyboard that raises your level of gameplay by giving you ...

Razer - Gaming Rz03-00550100-r3u1 Anansi Mmo Gaming Keyboard

Razer - Gaming Rz03-00550100-r3u1 Anansi Mmo Gaming Keyboard

Razer USA Anansi RZ03-00550100-R3U1 MMO Gaming Keyboard

Razer USA Anansi RZ03-00550100-R3U1 MMO Gaming Keyboard

Connectivity technology: Cable. Number of keys: 100
Quill.com

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard Rz03-00381900-r3u1

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard Rz03-00381900-r3u1

With 109 backlit, fully programmable mechanical keys, this Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 keyboard offers enhanced control over your gaming experience...

Razer Anansi Mmo Keyboard - Cable - Usb - Pc Rz03-00550100-r3u1

Razer Anansi Mmo Keyboard - Cable - Usb - Pc Rz03-00550100-r3u1

search PN Razer Anansi MMO Keyboard - Cable - USB - PC NEW ITEM FREE SHIPPING Processing packing takes 1-4 Business days prior to ship. Designed and e...

Razer Lycosa Programmable Backlit Gaming Keyboard

Razer Lycosa Programmable Backlit Gaming Keyboard

Annihilate your enemies and reign supreme in the gaming world with the Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard. With an awesome host of features, the Razer Lycos...
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Rz03-00381900-r3u1 Wired Gaming Keyboard Factory