Remington Limb & Trim Electric Chain Saw

Remington and the Feckless Chainsaw Massacre.

Apr 24, 2006 (Updated Apr 25, 2007)

Pros:CHEAP! Turns on instantly. Easy handling.

Cons:Not for big jobs. Not recommended for shaving.

The Bottom Line: Good saw for the money. This little chainsaw is perfect for light cutting jobs. Wear eye protection when cutting fluorescent bulbs.

My first chainsaw, an electric WAN, barely survived six months, a victim of my stubborn refusal to follow directions. A bright red, in your face WARNING on the saw’s shell stated clearly that only one type of oil could be used to lubricate the chain. Using a different type could be catastrophic. A search of the shed turned up oil of a different weight and type, but I was in the middle of cutting up a fallen tree and didn’t want to be bothered by a trip to the store. Besides, oil is oil; the warning was too dramatic and for others to follow. With its contraband oil refill the saw worked fine for a few minutes until it started to smoke. Hard headed and determined to finish what I started, I kept my finger on the throttle. A few more cuts later the saw burst into flames filling the yard with smoke. At that moment as the telltale black smoke blanketed my yard and my neighbor’s I resolved to henceforth read and heed directions to the letter.

To this day Mrs. Spudman thinks the saw was defective. I might have forgotten to tell her about the oil thing. It was probably a coincidence anyway. On a positive note, for the victims of the bloody, video massacres via chainsaw, I got a small measure of revenge on one chain saw anyway.

I really didn’t need another chain saw until moving to spacious Spud Acres a little over a year ago. Too many nuisance pines needed to be felled and many fallen trees and limbs needed to be cut into pieces. While trying to decide whether to go gas or electric I saw this electric Remington on sale at the local Ace Hardware for an irresistibly low price. I bought it, and after a year have never regretted my decision.

WHAT IT IS

This is a little saw, one begging to be mocked and scorned by the macho lumberjack in his red checked flannel shirt and high top heavy shoes who might lift the brim of his John Deere hat to sneer at this electric plaything. The Remington measures about 25 inches from its nose to the end of the plastic handle. It weighs less than 8 pounds so even one of Arnold’s girly man friends could maneuver it with one hand if necessary. That’s one of the problems with this saw. It’s so light and easy to use that one can easily become complacent, perhaps careless, while using it.

Some minimal assembly is required for this saw. The front hand guard is first attached with several screws. Then the guide bar and chain are installed, not a difficult process. The chain tension is adjusted with the turn of a screw. Directions in the owner’s manual are written clearly in correct English and well illustrated with large visuals. For example the manual cautions not to put the chain on backwards. Bold fonts, repetition and close up pictures of the chain’s cutters reinforce this. After assembly the only thing left to do is to remove the oil cap and fill the oil tank. As I now read the owner’s manual for the first time in months I notice that #30 motor oil should be used; #10 for temperatures below 30 degrees. OOPS!
There is an oil level sight hole on the saw’s body between the front handle and the front hand guard. Because of its inconvenient location I find it easier to check the oil by removing the oil cap.

The manual goes on to state that it is normal for oil to seep when saw is not in use. The oil tank should be emptied after each use to prevent seepage. This is true. I don’t usually empty the tank and have experienced some seepage. In fact when I suffer with insomnia , I visualize the saw and count seep.
The owner is also advised to use a proper extension cord marked for outdoor use. A heavy-duty cord is recommended for cord lengths over 100 feet.

More saw stuff:
14” bar
1.5HP
8 amp motor
front and rear hand guards
positive chain adjustment
manual pushbutton oiler
reduced kickback guide bar and chain
one year limited warranty
UL listed
Made in the USA

MY EXPERIENCE

In the year I’ve had this saw I’ve probably cut the equivalent to at least four cords of wood, probably much more. Most of my cutting has been of fallen trees and large limbs, though I have felled a few trees of modest size. Until this week all I’ve ever had to do to this saw is keep it clean and adjust the chain tension. Recently it’s become more difficult to keep the chain tension constantly tight necessitating more frequent tightening. Yesterday I replaced the chain for the first time without too much difficulty and the new chain has been a vast improvement over the old, dulled chain. Today I felled a small oak with an 8-inch diameter trunk at its base. The Remington made quick work of this tree, but a larger diameter trunk would tax or max it.

Squeezing the trigger alone will not operate the saw. A switch lock out button must be pressed simultaneously for the trigger to be functional, a good safety feature. The blade runs for a few seconds after the operator releases the trigger, requiring the user to remain vigilant even after the trigger release.

Over time it has become more difficult to keep the chain tight. To tighten the chain one must first loosen the two bar nuts and then turn the adjusting screw, a screw not particularly easy to see.
Kickback is always a danger when using a chain saw, but knock on wood, it’s never happened to me with this little saw. A few times I’ve had the saw stall and get hung up in a piece of wood, but it was easily disengaged and was more my fault than the saw’s.

I bought a small gas chain saw recently (review coming soon) only because with an electric tool the length of the extension cord limits the user’s reach. Even two hundred feet of extension cord won’t allow me to reach the perimeter of Spud Acres. The gas saw is more powerful, but the electric starts effortlessly, is much lighter and is easier to handle and control.

One who wants a chain saw for occasional use, doesn’t want the noise or maintenance of a gas model, and for whom a saw of this size is adequate, the Remington Limb ‘N Trim might be just the ticket.

Here's a review of a newer Remington saw that I am very pleased with.

Remington Lift and Dial Saw

Remington (14) 8 Amp Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw

Remington (14) 8 Amp Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw

About Us Shipping Returns Contact Us Faq's All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. Remington (14) 8 Amp...

Remington Tools 8 Amp 14 Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw

Remington Tools 8 Amp 14 Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw

For Precise Cuts Every Time, Choose This 14 Electric Chain Saw Lightweight and compact, this Remington 14 Electric Chain Saw is ideal for your regular...

Remington Rm1415a Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw, 14, 8 Amp

Remington Rm1415a Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw, 14, 8 Amp

Highlights:Limb N Trim Electric Chain Saw Electric motor: 8 Amp 14 low kickback bar and chain Integrated hand guard for greater safety A lightweight a...

Remington RM1415A 8 Amp 14 in. Limb N' Trim Electric Chain Saw

8 Amp 14 in. Limb N' Trim Electric Chain Saw - 41AZ42AG983. 14 in. Bar and Chain. Owner's Manual
Tyler Tool

CPO Outlets

Remington 8 Amp 14 Limb N' Trim Electric Chain Saw 41az42ag983

Remington 8 Amp 14 Limb N' Trim Electric Chain Saw 41az42ag983

CPO SEARCH SHOP BY CATEGORY Accessories Combo Kits Compressors Generators Cordless Tools Drills/Drivers Hand Tools Heavy-Duty Home Measuring Tools Met...

Remington Rm1415a 14-inch 8 Amp Electric Chain Saw Free Shipping

Remington Rm1415a 14-inch 8 Amp Electric Chain Saw Free Shipping

Product Features: 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain -Compact, lightweight design is easy to use -Push-button oiler lets you add the right amount of o...

Remington 11.5 Amp 16'' Electric Chain Saw

Remington 11.5 Amp 16'' Electric Chain Saw

The 16 Inch Remington Electric Chain Saw is great for trimming, pruning, cutting firewood, landscape timbers, and building projects outdoors.Remington...