Reynolds Food Packaging Reynolds Fun Shapes Baking Cups and Cake Pans Reviews

Reynolds Food Packaging Reynolds Fun Shapes Baking Cups and Cake Pans

Creative Presentation -- Using Reynolds Fun Shapes

May 2, 2006

Pros:different foil baking cup shapes, 24 shapes per box, great for parties or special events

Cons:foil cups easily bend out of shape, one-time use

The Bottom Line: A fun idea with foil baking cups in different shapes. Bring on the party!

I love brownies. So when I saw these Reynolds Fun Shapes I thought I would bake my brownies a bit differently. Heart and Star shaped brownies .... yum!

Description

These decorative shapes are actually foil cups shaped in heart and star designs. Each cardboard package contains 24 cups, one design per package. The cups hold 3.5 fl. oz. (103.5 ml) and are 1" deep. Since the front of the package contains a clear window, one can view the foil cups, which are a shiny silver. They resemble miniature foil baking pans, only in fun shapes!

The back of the package includes simple baking instructions:

1. Place ungreased baking cups on a cookie sheet. (The Reynolds website says to use a cookie sheet with sides.)

2. Fill cups 1/2 full. Do not overfill.

3. Bake according to recipe.

My Experiences

I wasn’t sure at first what to bake in the Reynolds Fun Shape cups. I leaned toward making brownies, but I wanted to explore my options. So I scooted over to www.reynoldsfunshapes.com (the website for these fun foil cups). I was surprised to find a variety of recipes: brownies, cookies, fudge, cupcakes, ice cream sandwiches, pudding cups, mini pizzas, and even Jello-Jigglers. Some of the recipes contained a list of ingredients to mix together, but many of the recipes say to use packaged baking mixes.

After reviewing the choices, I decided to bake brownies. The online recipe said to pre-heat the oven to 350-degrees and to place 18 Reynolds Fun Shapes on a cookie sheet with sides. Use a package of brownie mix (I made Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Chunk Brownies), then fill each foil cup 1/2 full using either a spoon or a #20 ice cream scoop. I didn’t even know what a #20 ice cream scoop was ... so I used a large spoon. Once filled, place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 15 - 17 minutes. Easy, right?

I wanted both heart and star shape brownies, so I opened both boxes of Fun Shapes. I had expected a sturdy foil cup (in the back of my mind thinking that I could wash and reuse these like a foil baking pan). The Reynolds Fun Shape cups are constructed from a thin foil that is very easy to bend. Looking at the first heart-shaped foil cup in the stack, I saw that it had already been warped out of shape without even having left the package.

Hmmm .... I decided to carefully handle these cups. If baking with a small child, I suggest not letting the little one touch these decorative baking cups. They bend too easily.

I mixed together the brownie mix and scooped it into the foil cups, making sure to only fill the cups halfway. It soon became apparent that I would not have enough mix for the 18 brownies promised in the recipe. There was only enough batter to fill 14 of the baking cups.

Being the curious type, I wondered if the foil cups would work better if greased. The Reynolds website said to follow the baking instructions on the package, and the package said to grease the pan. Yet the back of the Reynolds Fun Shapes package said to use ungreased baking cups. So I did it both ways to see which method worked best.

Both sets of brownies came easily out of the foil cups. The shapes looked great, too. The brownies didn’t drop out of the baking cups, though. I had to pry a finger between the brownie and the side of the foil. (Ahem ... I had to remove the brownies, which meant I had to eat them ... amazing what I do for a thorough review!) Looking at the two empty baking cups beside me, there is no way these cups can be used again. The cups are bent and dented.

As an experiment, I tried to wash these foil baking cups to see if there was any hope of reusing them. No way. Even using a light spray of water, these cups bent during washing. One-time use only, and then I will recycle the foil.

Purchasing

I received these Reynolds Fun Shapes baking cups from Hass MS&L in exchange for my honest opinion about the product. I have not yet seen this item in my local grocery store, so I’m not sure what they will retail for.

Summary

I can see where these Reynolds Fun Shapes will be entertaining to use at parties or special events. However, I do not plan to use them for everyday baking. While I like the concept of the unique shapes, and I love Reynolds products, I have to say that I wish these baking cups were constructed of a stiffer foil that I could reuse.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews.

KitchenAid Non-stick Slider Cookie Sheets

T-Fal Perfection 9-piece Cookware Set

T-Fal Perfection Saute Pan

T-Fal Perfection Square Griddle

T-Fal Non-stick Loaf Pan

T-Fal Avante Elite Convection Toaster Oven

Calphalon Professional Non-stick Sauce Pan

Granite Ware 19-inch Oval Roaster

Granite Ware Large Rectangle Roaster -- holds a 22-pound turkey!

Le Creuset Bean Pot