-13%
Rico B/Sx 2 1/2 10bx (RLA1025) Reviews

Rico B/Sx 2 1/2 10bx (RLA1025)

A great choice for players new to the baritone sax

Dec 12, 2010

Pros:excellent all-purpose reed for players new to the baritone sax and doublers

Cons:may not be optimal as a player's needs change

The Bottom Line: It's worth using as the initial reed. Buy a couple of single reeds and then a box if they work

Rico reeds have been used as the initial reed of choice for generations of music students. The reason is that their strength 2 reeds work very well for beginners and their strength 2.5 reeds, which these are, work very well as a starting point if a more experienced player is not sure about the correct strength.

For Rico Reeds, the strength numbers range from 1 (very soft) to 5 (very hard) increasing in .5 increments. The 2's are soft but not overly so; the 2.5s grade out as medium hard. Beginning students will usually need softer reeds as they learn too blow their instruments. For more experienced players, the optimal strength depends on the player and the mouthpiece. The reeds and the mouthpiece provide resistance in an inverse relationship. More open mouthpieces used in jazz and rock tend to require softer reeds for ultimate playability. More closed mouthpieces used in classical music tend to require harder reeds to work.

On baritone sax, the rico 2.5s provide a good starting point to evaluate the correct reeds. For one of my students, these work great. I don't play baritone much, but these work well for me on a more open mouthpiece (rico royal graftonite 5). On my classical Yamaha 5C mouthpiece, I use a harder Vandoren 3. The Rico 2.5 Baritone Sax reeds work particularly well as an initial choice for players new to the baritone sax, as the baritone sax is typically not a player's first instrument.

Rico's standard brand provides consistently playable reeds. Most pros are happy if they are getting a yield of 50% concert reeds out of a box of 10. I'm nopt quite there with these, but, again, I don't play baritone much.

I do recommend that students buy single reeds whien first starting with an instrument or new mouthpiece because this minimizes the cost of the trial and error necessary to determine a workable reed mouthpiece combination. Once such a combination is found, then a box can be purchased which basically cuts the per-reed cost in half.

I recommend the Rico 2.5 Baritone Sax Reed as worth using for doublers and players new to the baritone sax.

Thanks for reading. God bless!

Any reader who has questions about saxophone or clarinet study or performance can contact me through my member page.

I have a new CD release available from my web site, http://www.jazzobsession.com/. Samples are on my Epinions member page. Please check them out.

Please check out my related musical equipment reviews:
Rubank Elementary Method for Clarinet
Daily Studies for All Saxophones
Technique of the Saxophone - Chord Studies
Luyben clarinet ligature
Guardala Super King Tenor Sax Mouthpiece
Yamaha 62II Tenor Sax
How to get your child started on an instrument
How to find the right music teacher for you or your child
Rent or buy your child's first instrument
How to buy a decent musical instrument on Ebay
Improve Your Intonation
Ear Training I - Beginning and Intermediate Players
Ear Training II - Prelude to Improvisation

Designed for a wide variety of playing situations, Rico Reeds are cut of our most flexible grade of cane. The ease of play, affordable price and conve...