Rival 3735-WN 3.5-Quart Slow Cooker Reviews

Rival 3735-WN 3.5-Quart Slow Cooker

Rival 3735-WN 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker Crock Pot; Let It Do the Cooking For You

Dec 22, 2010

Pros:no fuss cooking, easy to use & clean, shape and size take up little space

Cons:do not care for plastic handles, only two cooking options

The Bottom Line:

The Rival 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker, or Crock Pot has an oval shape, 2 cooking temperatures, and frees up my time (less slaving over a hot stove!).

I have three different Crock Pots, one that I bought myself and others received from friends as gifts. All are made by Rival, but there is only one that I regularly use because it is perfectly sized for my small household. It is an oval shaped slow cooker than will hold 3.5 quarts.

I mainly use it just for venison stews and various soups, but I have also used it to cook roasts, pulled pork, beans, and if hanging out watching sports, using it to cook little smokies in BBQ sauce.

The one I have is plain in it's appearance; it doesn't have any design on it (which I prefer), and is oval shaped. It's only around 10 inches tall and close to 15 inches long/wide, so I don't find it "too big" on the counter when I'm using it. It will hold 3 & 1/2 quarts, and it also comes with a glass lid that has a plastic knob handle on the top. I have one Crock Pot that has a lid with a glass handle, and I would prefer if this one did, too. It wouldn't make that much difference with how hot the handle can get because the handle on this one isn't very cool to the touch when the slow cooker is in use (like a glass handle wouldn't be). I use a pot holder to lift the lid to check on the food. Despite the manufacturer saying that there is no stirring required, I usually do stir every once in a while because I find that sometimes the meat I cook will have a scorched taste if it rests on the bottom. It's not so if I stir every now and then.

It has a removable stoneware center that has a stick resistant coating. I have had foods stick to it a little, though, when cooking certain foods on High, but it comes off pretty easily with a good soak before I wash it. It (the stoneware pot) can also be placed in the dishwasher, but I have never done so.

It only has 3 knob settings: Off, Low, and High. It seems though, that the temperatures on this one are higher than the older model (way way older) I retired. I used to cook a venison stew for 8 hours on Low, but now it will cook in 6 and be ready.I don't think it's a flaw; I like it. But, it took me a little while to get used to this new slow cooker after using my older one. No matter the temperature setting (or whether I'm cooking meat or vegetable soup), it seems to cook evenly. If cooking a stew, all of the meat pieces are cooked through.

I love that I can set the slow cooker in the morning or mid-day, and have a meal ready come dinner time. I do not leave the house (other than to go in my yard) with it on because I'd constantly worry about a fire, but having the Crock Pot cook for me frees up more time to do chores around the house without having to stop for an hour to make a dinner. I find it's the quickest way to make dinner because I just have to throw a bunch of ingredients in a pot, and it only takes a few minutes. If I cooked a stew on my stove top, for instance, I would have to watch and stir it constantly, and it would seem as if it took "forever!". Using this Crock Pot is so much more convenient.

The Crock Pot doesn't get very hot on the exterior, but there are certain spots that can be mild to hot: the lid, of course, the area near the plug (there are a couple of spots on the back that get heated on mine), and the bottom has a faint heat coming from it. I just handle the slow cooker with potholders, if moving it. It has handles, but I do not trust them (they're plastic and the weight of a stew, I fear, might crack or break them off), so I always move the Crock Pot from it's side, using a pot holder. I do use the handles when putting the Crock Pot away, though (when it is empty), with no problems.

If taken care of, these Crock Pots can last for years. The one I used before this one was almost as old as me. This one, I've had for several years now and it still performs as "new". It's such a great Crock Pot that I would recommend it to anyone. It's perfect for couples or small families. I find, in my household, it's enough to cook for 4 people, with little to no leftovers.

Color: White Features: 3-1/2-Quart oval-shaped slow cooker from the original Crock Pot makers Removable stoneware crock features rinse-clean lifetime ...