Robitussin CoughGels??? Reviews

Robitussin CoughGels???

Kiss Your Cough Good-Bye With Robitussin CoughGels

Jan 14, 2004

Pros:Works well at relieving cough; non-drowsy; easy to swallow; convenient packaging

Cons:None!

The Bottom Line: Fast, effective cough relief in an easy-to-swallow liquigel capsule. It doesn't get any better than this!

I had a cold about two weeks ago - what a way to start my new year, right? Well, it was accompanied by a cough that wouldn't quit - it lingered for days and days! I was afraid I was going to hack up a lung - or hurt myself. I was coughing a lot and it was to the point where sometimes I would nearly vomit (sorry!). I was off to the drugstore in search of something to help me stop coughing. Since I usually can't stand swallowing cough syrup (after twenty minutes of staring at it on the spoon and trying to talk myself into taking it), I nearly cried out in joy right there in the cold/cough relief section of the drugstore when I saw that there is a "liquigel" type of product for cough relief! I snagged it off the shelf and hurried to the checkout line!

Product Details:

Robitussin CoughGels are a small, translucent red "liquigel" containing dextromethorphan, which is a cough suppressant. (A "liquigel" is a solid capsule that is solid but soft on the outside and has liquid on the inside. They are very smooth and easy to swallow.) Each CoughGel measures .5" long and about .25" wide. They are shaped like footballs and have a white "R" printed on them, which stands for Robitussin.

The CoughGels come in a white plastic bottle that is blister-packaged in cardboard. The bottle is your standard over-the-counter bottle and has a child safety lid.

There are 20 CoughGels in each bottle. Robitussin states that CoughGels are non-drowsy.

Ingredients (taken from packaging):

Active: Dextromethorphan HBr, USP, 15 mg. per capsul. Inactive: FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C red no. 40, fractionated coconut oil, gelatin, glycerin, mannitol, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propyl gallate, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol, sorbitol anhydrides.

Directions and Other Information (taken from packaging):

Adults and children 12 years and over should take two capsules every 6 to 8 hours as needed. Children under 12 should not be given these capsules unless under the advice of a physician.

Do not take more than 8 capsules in a 24-hour period.

Ask a physician before use if you have a cough with too much phlegm (mucus) or if you have a cough that lasts or is chronic as occurs with asthma, smoking or emphysema.

Stop use of this medication and see a physician if coughing lasts more than 7 days, comes back or is accompanied by a fever, rash or persistent headache.

Do not use if pregnant or breast-feeding without the advice of a physician.

My Experience:

I was so happy that I did not have to take a cough syrup! It is like torture. I can remember once when I was about five years old, my mother had to actually SIT on my to keep me down so that I would swallow my cough syrup! Even now, I can't handle it. So the new CoughGels had to be my ticket to cough relief!

The CoughGels are small and smooth. They have the same feel and texture as an Advil LiquiGel and you can easily pop two in your mouth and swallow them with no problem.

Within about 40 minutes of taking my first two CoughGels, I had relief of my cough. If I started to laugh quite a bit, I would still get into a coughing fit, but for 99% of the time, I had relief from my cough. The really great part is that there are no side effects - no drowsiness, upset stomach or sinus drying. I love these things! Before finding CoughGels, I had to take a multi-symptom tablet or capsule for my cough that also treated symptoms I didn't have, like congestion, sore throat, etc.

The relief lasted for about six hours each time. This was consistent throughout the entire course of taking this medication. After about six hours, my cough would slowly come back and at that point I took another two capsules.

One thing I noticed was that the CoughGels worked better when I took them with food. I know that this is the case with most medications - but I just wanted to mention this. I think you will get much better quality relief if you always take any medication with food.

Since there are 20 capsules in each bottle, this means that there are 10 doses per bottle. I went through two bottles of these before my cough went away - and I needed all 40 of those capsules. I was so afraid of coughing too hard and hurting myself or of coughing too much in meetings at work, etc.

I will always keep a bottle of CoughGels on hand. I am thrilled to find these, and these will now be my over-the-counter cough relief product of choice.

Price and Purchasing Information:

I found my bottle of Robitussin CoughGels at my local Rite Aid drugstore for $6.99. I found a $2 coupon at Robitussin.com (which is still available there) for my second purchase, which was at the grocery store, where they were $5.99, minus my $2 coupon. Most drugstores carry CoughGels by now. They can also be purchased at Drugstore.com for $7.99.

Robitussin Lingering Cold Long-Acting Coughgels, 20 tabs by Robitussin

Robitussin Lingering Cold Long-Acting Coughgels, 20 tabs by Robitussin

Non-Drowsy. Long-Acting Cough Gels. Relieves Cough Up to 8 Hours*. Non-Narcotic Formula.
Herbspro.com