Robitussin Nasal Decongestant and Expectorant Reviews

Robitussin Nasal Decongestant and Expectorant

Take the Medicine and Grab the Tissues. The Green Slime is on it's Way

Dec 16, 2003 (Updated Dec 16, 2003)

Pros:Inexpensive, works on mild congestion.

Cons:You have to take it every four hours.

The Bottom Line: Try this for mild congestion and see if it works. Do not take it at night you will be coughing the whole night through. This does not relieve cough.

The Flu and cold season is here again. I thought when I got older that I would have less colds, not true. There are too many grandchildren around everyday and I get every little present that they bring home to me. There presents are usually gift wrapped in a kiss, and afterwards I find out they are coming down with the sniffles. My colds usually turn into a cough and sinus congestion.

I have a medicine chest full of every conceivable type of cold and cough formulations, along with fever reducers and cough drops and all types for children and adults.

Robitussin Nasal Decongestant and Expectorant or Robitussin PE is one of the standards in this arsenal before I end up at the doctor. I hate going to the doctor so I always put off the inevitable with many doses of different formulations before having to make the dreaded appointment. I don’t practice what I preach to my kids.

Robitussin has been around for a long time and is one of the better-known cough and cold medications.

Ingredients

There are two main ingredients in Robitussin Nasal Decongestant and Expectorant

The first is an Expectorant, Guaifenesin 100 milligrams, it helps to loosen up all the gunk in your lungs and lets you cough it up.

Second is Pseudoephedrine HCl 30 milligrams. Most people know it by its brand name Sudafed. It helps the swelling in the nasal passages and allows that junk to drain, helping with the headache if you have one from your sinuses being stopped up.

Inactive ingredients; taken from the label

citric acid, FD&C red no. 40, flavors, glucose, glycerin, high fructose corn syrup, maltol, menthol, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, water

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now for the important question, does it work?

It helps at times. If my sinuses are really stopped up and my cough is dry then this is what I use first. If it is a mild cold, this works. I take it every four hours and it does help.

First, I notice my sinuses draining and then I start coughing up that ugly stuff that nightmares are made of, think slime here. After I have used this for two or three doses then I do notice that my chest tightness and dry hacking stop and the coughing starts in earnest. You are getting 60 mg of Pseudoephedrine and 200 mg of Guaifenesin in 10 cc or two teaspoons.

The taste isn’t wild cherry cough drops but I can get it down without gagging. My grandson doesn’t mind the taste and I have no problem getting him to take it. It has its own little dosing cup that has measurements on it so it’s easy to get the right dose for your age. One thing I like about the Robitussin PE is that I can use it for children two years and up. In essence, it is for the whole family. If you have a child younger then two ask your doctor.

Always read the label before taking this medication. There are certain medications and medical conditions that you should not use this formula. Check the label.

I don’t use this at bedtime because if it's working I would be coughing all night. Many people think this is cough syrup but it does not suppress a cough but usually makes you cough. This is a big difference if you have a child who is coughing up phlegm and you want something to enable him/her to sleep.

When I am badly congested this usually does not work, it just isn’t strong enough. If you see it's not helping after a couple of days then see your doctor or try something else. My children call me the medicine guru of the family and always know who to come to if they run out.

This medication does not bring down a fever, so if you have one you will need to take Tylenol or Motrin with it.

An eight-ounce bottle usually gives you 24 doses more if you are dosing children so the price is inexpensive 5.99.

Diane