Rootone Reviews

Rootone

Healthier, Happier Plants using Rootone

Sep 2, 2004

Pros:easy to use plant hormone growth formula, it works!

Cons:fine powder Ė be careful not to breathe it

The Bottom Line: I dipped the Bottom Line in Rootone ... and am propagating little Bottom Lines. That way weíll never run out of them.

I’m the proud mommy of a banana pup. That’s what small banana trees are called. My brother gifted me with a dwarf banana tree about a year ago, and the momma tree had her first pup. In order to keep momma tree healthy, though, I had to remove the pup from the mother tree’s base. That’s where Rootone with Fungicide came in handy.

What is Rootone?

Rootone is a rooting hormone that encourages plant growth while protecting plants from diseases and root rot. This fine white-gray powder contains Naphthaleneacetamide (plant growth regulator) and Thiram (fungicide) that are mixed with inert ingredients.

My Experiences

My green-thumbed parents have used Rootone for as long as I can remember. The manufacturer names may have changed over the years, but the packaging has always stated “Rootone with Fungicide”.

I remember my mother rooting African violet cuttings with Rootone. She had phenomenal plants with beautiful blooms. How she managed to keep those plants healthy with children running through the house, I’ll never know. Maybe part of her success was buying several Venus Flytrap plants. The carnivorous plants fascinated us so much that we stayed away from the African Violet flowers!

During my growing-up years, we propagated a variety of plants depending upon the interest of the moment: African violets, gloxinia, Christmas cactus, spider plants and succulents galore to name just a few. We have always used Rootone on houseplants ... and never, ever in the organic vegetable garden.

The momma dwarf banana tree is living in a large pot in the livingroom and loves the window view. I had hoped for a pup and was ecstatic when one appeared. I immediately phoned my brother for instructions on how to safely remove the pup from its mother. He said to sever the pup when it was 3 to 4 inches high.

I pulled some of the soil away from the pup and used a sharp knife to cut the pup from the momma plant. I sliced a bit toward the root of the mother banana tree, hoping to gain as much root as I could for the pup. Alas, the pup came free with just a quarter inch of root. I was worried that I had killed it!

My first thought was Rootone. My parents and I always had great success using this product and definitely noticed quick, healthy plant growth after applying Rootone.

I already had a plant pot filled with soil. I opened the Rootone and dipped the cut end of the banana pup into the white-gray powder. There is no need to dampen the plant stalk (I’ve never done so). Just dip the plant end and gently tap it to release any extra Rootone from it. The powder clung to the end of the plant, coating the stalk. I inserted the pup into the plant pot and carefully patted soil around its base then gently sprinkled the soil with water.

The pup never went into shock. It’s as healthy as when I pulled it free from its mother. It’s been a week since the pup was transplanted, and it looks wonderful. The two leaves it has are a vibrant green, and I can see they have already grown. The plant is taller, too.

Safety Precautions

This product is a dust. Do not inhale it or place it in a situation where it could blow into the air. The manufacturer suggests wearing protective gear since this product can cause eye and skin irritation.

Keep away from children and animals. The product is harmful if swallowed. Also, do not reuse the container the product comes in. Discard the package after use.

Do not store this product near food, feed, seed, fertilizer, insecticide or fungicide.

First Aid

Here is the First Aid information from the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Eyes – Hold eyelids open and flush with a steady, gentle stream of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention.

Skin – Immediately wash skin with plenty of soap and water, while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing separately before reuse.

Ingestion – If patient is conscious and alert, give 2 to 3 glasses of water or milk to drink. Induce vomiting if conscious. Get medical attention.

Inhalation – Remove victim to fresh air. If not breathing or if breathing is difficult, seek medical attention.

Observations

Despite all the above warnings, none of my family has ever had a bad experience using Rootone. Mind you, we don’t inhale it (though I have never noticed an odor in the room after using it). We are also careful to keep the product away from direct contact with our skin and wash our hands after using it. I store our Rootone in the basement in a cool, dry location away from food, seeds, fertilizers or insecticides. It is also out of the reach of children and animals.

Purchasing

Local plant nurseries, hardware stores, and even some department stores in my area, sell Rootone in two sizes: 2 ounce and .4 ounce packages. It can be purchased in a packet or in a plastic bottle. Ace Hardware sells the .4 ounce bag for $3.89 and the 2 ounce bottle for $8.49.

Summary

This family of gardeners is pleased to have discovered Rootone so long ago. We definitely grow healthier, happier transplants when we use it. My little banana pup is thriving and growing, even when planted with just a quarter-inch of root. I do have a question though. Does owning two banana trees mean I have a plantation?

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Additional Information

GardenTech
2365 Harrodsburg Road, Suite #B230
Lexington, KY 40504

Toll-free Phone: 800-969-7200

Please read my other reviews:

Rubbermaid Big Max Storage Shed

Rubbermaid Tool Tower

Step 2 Grass Hopper Wheeled Garden Stool / Cart

Fiskars Power-Lever Bypass Lopper

Swan Tuff & Flexible Garden Hose

Black & Decker Cordless Battery Powered Mulching Lawnmower

Craftsman 3-Drawer Portable Toolbox

Cramer Stop-Step Aluminum Ladder

Cook’s Garden (online store)

Johnny’s Selected Seeds (online store)

Park Seed (online store)

Dutch Gardens (online store)