Rose of Sharon 10 Seeds - Hibiscus syriacus - Althea (Hirt's Gardens)

Spring Planting: Rose of Sharon

Jan 30, 2010

Pros:beautiful, easy to grow

Cons:can become rampant

The Bottom Line: I have come to believe that Rose of Sharon seed must be the most prolific of all seed when it comes to germinating.

Hirts Gardens Rose of Sharon is hardy zones 5 - 9.

The national flower of South Korea Hibiscus syriacus, the common garden Hibiscus is also called Rose of Sharon.

I have found Rose of Sharon to be one of the easiest of plants to grow. When I moved to this house there was little in the yard to persuade a so called green thumb that the place was worth viewing.

Two scraggly Rose of Sharon bushes, huge overgrown trees and nothing but trash grass surrounding the house, it was not a promising start.

I have propagated some of the gazillions of germinating seeds which are produced each year, have given away many and have added to the existing 2. Rose of Sharon now border the lane, surround the dog run, grace Osage County First Grade planting plot, appear in yards of many friends, family and even total strangers.

I have come to believe that Rose of Sharon seed must be the most prolific of all seed when it comes to germinating. For the so called brown thumbed or -I can't grow anything- I suggest Rose of Sharon.

The trunk is a somewhat gnarly grey white, if left without pruning branching appears near to ground, while the bush can be pruned to take more of a tree form. I have both in my yard, some I prune, some are rampant.

I have read that blossoms attract hummingbirds, I have yet to see Ruby and his kin folk give more than a who cares snort as they zip right by the Rose of Sharon here in this yard.

Blossoms are delicate, almost fragile in appearance, appearing in several colors, pink, magenta, white, lavender almost blue, carmine and bi-colors. Depending on the cultivar; some have a different hued throat than trumpet.

Continuous blooming begins early in July and continues through September. Blossoms may reach 2-4 inches diameter.

The shrubs tend to be among the last in the yard to begin leafing out in spring, foliage is deciduous. Leaves are interesting, almost stiffish, three lobed, green beginning late in May or early June depending upon temps during spring.

Rose of Sharon begins to blossom as many other blooms are waning and continues until frost.  Flowering results in a hard green seed pod; which becomes brown, opens and spills many seeds.  The open seed pods resemble tiny open cotton bolls.

While planting instructions accompanying new cultivars indicate that fertile soil, perhaps acidic, good
drainage, cool roots, full sun, protection during winter are needed; I have found my Rose of Sharon adapt well to benign neglect, they are rain watered, now and then given some organic matter at their roots withstand ice, snow, heat, cold, tolerate pruning or none and continue to grow, thrive and produce gazillions of seed, each of which germinates AND share their space with Iris, daffodils, or whatever.

Happy to recommend easy to grow, tolerant and beautiful Rose of Sharon.

====================
MORE GARDEN

MORE HIRTS GARDENS

MORE SEED

====================
Reviewed by Molly's Reviews
molly martin
===========================

NOTE: Because plentiful bee pollination is required for many successful crops; today's hive collapse problems may thwart the backyard gardener and truck farmer alike.

Should the backyard gardener experience less than hoped for results the problem may well be the lack of bees rather than a fault of seed. Plants having many blossoms but showing few if any fruit are showing the result of lack of bees to pollinate the blossoms.

Adding hyssop, and other flowering species to outdoor plantings may help to increase visiting bee populations.
==========================

For more product details, facts, and shipping information please check the   SEE IT button and vendor links

--------------------------------------------
Internet Search including the Hirts Garden site indicates:  Established in 1915 by Samuel Hirt

Hirt's Gardens is one of Ohio's oldest horticultural establishments. We specialize in hard-to-find perennials, unusual and exotic house plants, and seeds and bulbs from around the world!

Our new retail greenhouses and garden store are now open in Medina (Granger Township), Ohio.

Fiji Rose of Sharon - Shrubs & Trees

Fiji Rose of Sharon - Shrubs & Trees

Cultivar name: 'Minspot.'Surround yourself with the soft colors of an exotic sunset. This lovely, trouble-free Rose of Sharon is as beautiful as its n...

Hibiscus Rose Of Sharon Metal Yard Art Garden Stake

Hibiscus Rose Of Sharon Metal Yard Art Garden Stake

You are bidding on a HAND-MADE plant stake. My plant stakes are made in my shop, one at a time. They are not stamped out, or imported from another cou...

Summerific® Cherry Cheesecake Hibiscus - Shrubs & Trees

Summerific® Cherry Cheesecake Hibiscus - Shrubs & Trees

Plant Patent Applied For. What did we ever do before the Summerific™ series came along? These Rose Mallows are compact but extremely large blooming...
Park Seed

Proven Winners Fertilizers Chiffon Pink ColorChoice Hibiscus 1 gal. Rose of Sharon Shrub HIBPRC2136101

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. The beautiful soft pink flowers, lacy center and magenta veining of the Pink Chiffon Hibiscus will bring a touch ...
Home Depot

Rose Of Sharon Quilted Expression

Rose Of Sharon Quilted Expression

Rose of Sharon quilted expressions new in package quilt kit Joann Kost 1984

Proven Winners Fertilizers Chiffon Blue ColorChoice Hibiscus 1 gal. Rose of Sharon Shrub HIBPRC2056101

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. A violet-blue bloom with a frilly cluster of small inner petals gives a “double” appearance and magenta veini...
Home Depot

CafePress Rose of Sharon Hibiscus Mug

Small measures 3.75 tall, 3 diameter; Mega measures 4.5 tall, 3.75 diameterSmall holds 11 oz.; Mega holds 20 oz.Black color-changing mugs available in...
Cafepress.com

Cafepress.com

Honeymoon Deep Red Hibiscus Seeds - Shrubs & Trees

Honeymoon Deep Red Hibiscus Seeds - Shrubs & Trees

Destined to be the showpiece of any setting, this magnificent new Hibiscus wows with 6- to 8-inch blooms of the deepest, most velvety red ever seen in...