Rough Creek Lodge

Fun for the kids, relaxation for the parents

Oct 9, 2008

Pros:

Fun, lots to do, great hunting, great restaurant, relaxing luxurious and quiet.

Cons:Pricey

The Bottom Line: Rough Creek Lodge is a great luxurious get away for families. It has lots of fun activities for the kids and great hunting.

Rough Creek Lodge near Glen Rose Texas is one of the best resorts in Texas. It is located about two hours south of Dallas and consists of a luxurious Lodge located on 11,000+ acres of ranch land. It is the perfect place to go for a relaxing and fun weekend getaway. They offer horse back riding, golf, tennis, shooting, biking, hiking, paintball, swimming, fishing, boating, kayaking, four wheeling, spas, fossil hunts, wild life tours, and a petting zoo, a zip line, climbing tower, bungee jumping, various fun stuff for the kids, as well as hunting, and much more (82 activities). They even have Cattle herding if you want to pretend to be a Cowboy. We have been at Rough Creek several dozens of times and we cannot get enough of it.

We often go to Rough Creek for bird hunting, and sometimes for Deer, Turkey, or Wild Boar hunting. My kids love to hunt and they started hunting at Rough Creek at a very young age (seven years old). The Lodge provides highly experienced guides that teach you and your kids how to hunt and they also keep all hunting activities safe and problem free. The types of birds they have are Quail, Chukar, Pheasant, and Wild Turkey. Most of the Quail is implanted and released but the other animals are wild. On one hunt my oldest son got 64 birds and my 10 year old got 26 birds at another hunt. With all the birds and deer we have in the freezer we have a lot to eat.

In addition there is a very large nature preserve a few miles north called Fossil Rim. At Fossil Rim you drive your car on a 10 miles long Safari. Here you can see animals from all over the world. You can feed Zebras, Ostriches, Giraffes, Elephants, Goats, and other kind of animals through your car window. Watch out for the Ostriches they steal things from inside your car (my jacket). Right next to Fossil Rim is Dinosaur Valley State Park. This place is famous for its Dinosaur foot prints in and around the Paluxy River made by two large Dinosaurs, one chasing the other. These are a couple of interesting places to see if you want to leave the Ranch for a few hours.

The restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Texas. The culinary creations will astonish you. The food is skillfully prepared by the award winning Chef Gerard Thompson and is a unique blend of Southern and French cooking. Their Grilled Texas Quail, Pheasant Ravioli, Steaks, Pan-roasted Tasmanian Salmon, Grits, and Bacon and Stilton Blue Cheese Quesadilla, are among my favorites. The food and the deserts are very nicely prepared and look like artwork. You almost feel bad about tearing up the hand made beautiful creations with your fork. Get a nice bottle of French Wine or a good Texas beer to wash it down with.

Best of all is the service. The personnel are always impeccably friendly and cheerful and will do almost anything for you. I have never been to a place before where everyone you meet knows your name even though you have never seen them before. When you show up everything is already taken care of (if you have a reservation). You basically just say hello at the check in counter, you are expected. They make you feel like a King. The rooms are also of very high quality and are big and comfortable. They really focus on kids at Rough Creek so the kids feel like Kings too. It is a little bit pricey. A room is typically a couple of hundred dollars unless you get a deal, and dinner is $75 for adults. However, it is still worth its price. You don't get pampered like that in many places.