Roy's Seattle

Roy's Seattle: No Need to be Souffleless in Seattle

Jul 23, 2000 (Updated Dec 16, 2001)

Pros:Prompt, friendly service, good food

Cons:Fairly limited menu, a bit expensive

The Bottom Line: Good food, interesting presentation, prompt and friendly service. If you're staying at the Westin or visiting downtown, Roy's is a good place to eat.

I just spent several days at the Westin in downtown Seattle and had several meals at Roy's (the restaurant is located in the hotel). Reservations were not necessary. Roy's actually started in Hawaii and there is a definite Polynesian influence at work here.

Very Good Service

Having dined there several times I found the service to be consistently friendly and prompt - at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Breakfast

The two egg breakfast comes with your choice of breakfast meat (I always had bacon) as well as hash browns and toast. (about $8.95)

They also have a full-blown breakfast buffet for $15.95.
There were a lot of people who chose the buffet. I often ordered a la carte eggs and bacon $3 and $3.95, respectively. (I'm on the Atkins diet)

Lunch

I had a really good pizza for lunch one day - artichoke and crab meat. With a wood fired crust and alfredo sauce, it was quite tasty. (Yes, I was cheating a bit on the diet, but the wood smoke smelled so good and the pizza did not disappoint.)

One day I saw an incredible dish go by that I had to inquire about -- it was their meat loaf - two big slices stacked on top of garlic mashed potatoes.

The waitress told my friend and I that we should try it - she recommended splitting one order and getting a couple of side salads.

Dinner

For dinner one evening I had the filet with portobello mushrooms. It was served stacked on a large portion of garlic mashed potatoes and garnished with 3 potato chips -- very interesting and attractive presentation.

The steak was excellent, tender and delicious. (It was $29.) The garlic potatoes were too good to pass up - I couldn't resist eating some of them.

My friend had the New York strip steak. It was served atop rice and oriental vegetables. Again, a very attractive presentation. (It was also $29.)

Soufleless in Seattle

My only regret about Roy's is that I was trying to stick to the Atkins diet while I was there.

I was very, very tempted to order the house specialty - the chocolate souffle. It is a special order that takes 18 minutes to prepare and is served with vanilla ice cream. If I had seen one go by, I'm certain I would have succumbed to temptation.

Maybe on my next visit to Seattle... until then I am Souffleless in Seattle.

Footnote:

While visiting Hawaii recently, we dined at Roy's and yes, they had the chocolate souffle. The waiter didn't even get to finish his sentence as he was describing it.

I had been craving it for months and I finally got to try it. It is to die for!!

Seattle Mariners Mens Signature Hooded Sweatshirt (Cooperstown) (Team Color: Roy

Please Note: This item is made-upon-order, therefore requires additional processing time, which is reflected in the estimate above. Please Note: The m...