Rubank 78 Duets for Flute and Clarinet Vol 1 (Easy To Medium) Reviews

Rubank 78 Duets for Flute and Clarinet Vol 1 (Easy To Medium)

Great duets for clarinet and flute or violin

Jan 25, 2008

Pros:well-crafted classical duets

Cons:somewhat hard to find

The Bottom Line: It a great book!

Bottom line: It’s worth buying if you have two instrumentalists who can use it.

I’m a big fan of duet playing. Well-crafted duets can expose both players to appropriate melodic style. Plus, the players need to listen to each other and blend tempo, dynamics, and intonation. Aside form that, they are a whole lot of fun.

The Rubank duet books for clarinet and saxophone are each quite good and I will review them at some point.

This book, ostensibly for Bb clarinet and flute has all the benefits of the typical duet book as well. I had originally gotten this when I asked a music store if they had any duet books for clarinet and violin. My son was in middle school and was playing violin at the time. The owner said that he didn’t know of any clarinet and violin books but that this book would work well because the violin could play the flute part.

We had many good times with this book. The duets are well written classical duets, with some pieces by famous composers such as Bach, Mozart and Handel. The duets are by no means easy but they are accessible by instrumentalists with 3 or more years of experience. There is a nice variety of tempos and the keys are accessible, ranging from concert Ab to concert G. The pitch demands for the clarinetist are up to high C, which is certainly within reach for a good middle school clarinetist. Plus, most of the pieces do not range that high.

I now have a clarinet student in sixth grade and on her third year on the instrument. She will be ready to play out of this book by the end of the school year, with her mother, who studied through college and plays in church. They will have a great time, I'm sure.

Most of the duets can also be played by a tenor or soprano sax playing the clarinet part as those are also pitched in Bb. The clarinet has a practical range of about a fifth below the saxophone. However, there are not a lot of notes below saxophone range and they occur on maybe a quarter of the pieces. The saxophones could take those notes an octave up. Balance is more of a concern as either saxophone is a much louder instrument than the flute or violin. When I’ve played these on saxes, I’ve had to play fairly softly. Still they have worked well.

This book is in print and available from sheetmusicplus.com and Amazon. I recommend it highly for duet play with experienced clarinet and flute or violin players

5 stars.

Thanks for reading. God bless!

I have a CD available from my web site, www.jazzobsession.com. Please check it out!

Please check out some of my other epinions pertaining to music education and equipment:
Guardala Super King Tenor Sax Mouthpiece
Yamaha 62II Tenor Sax
How to get your child started on an instrument
How to find the right music teacher for you or your child
Rent or buy your child’s first instrument
How to buy a decent musical instrument on Ebay
Improve Your Intonation
Ear Training I - Beginning and Intermediate Players
Ear Training II - Prelude to Improvisation
Ear Training III: Time to Learn Tunes and PLAY
My worst gig
Putting a Jazz Band Together
Being a one man band for fun and profit
I compose the way I play
What music has helped me learn about myself
Fast fingers are important
How I help my students learn new music
I learned about a lot more than music from my music teachers

Spanish Romance Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Ch... eBook

Buy Spanish Romance Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on Kobo's...

Abracadabra Clarinet Duets
Minuet Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christian L... eBook

Buy Minuet Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on Kobo's Free App...
Kobo eBooks

Menuet BWV 115 Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Chr... eBook

Buy Menuet BWV 115 Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on Kobo's ...
Kobo eBooks

Le Coucou Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christia... eBook

Buy Le Coucou Pure sheet music duet for flute and clarinet arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on Kobo's Free ...

Clarinet, Sax, Flute, Oboe & Piccolo Cabinet - 15 Cmpts - No Doors

Clarinet, Sax, Flute, Oboe & Piccolo Cabinet - 15 Cmpts - No Doors

Stevens' Clarinet, Sax, Flute, Oboe & Piccolo Cabinet features 15 spacious instrument compartments. Constructed with particleboard, this durable cabin...
SCHOOLSin
Clarinet, Sax, Flute, Oboe & Piccolo Cabinet - 15 Cmpts - Grille Doors

Clarinet, Sax, Flute, Oboe & Piccolo Cabinet - 15 Cmpts - Grille Doors

SCHOOLSin
March Majestic Pure Sheet Music Duet for Clarinet and F Instrument, Arranged by ... eBook

Buy March Majestic Pure Sheet Music Duet for Clarinet and F Instrument, Arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on...

Traditional Christmas Duets for Flute
Original Rags Pure Sheet Music Duet for Clarinet and F Instrument, Arranged by L... eBook

Buy Original Rags Pure Sheet Music Duet for Clarinet and F Instrument, Arranged by Lars Christian Lundholm by Pure Sheet Music and Read this Book on ...