Let's Sing Along With Rudolph, Frosty and Friends!

Jul 8, 2001

Pros:Contains the original songs from all of the Christmas shows I love!

Cons:The Sing-along video that contains these songs is discontinued.

The Bottom Line: Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... is an ideal collection of children's favorite Christmas songs that will entertain your family any time of year -- not just during the holidays!

Note: This is the fifth in a series of Christmas in July reviews. For a complete list of Christmas reviews, check my profile page.

Christmas time in my childhood holds great meaning to me. I was always a great dreamer and the superior cartoon programming of that time with the original Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty The Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and others kept me captivated with their cute and loving stories, but more than that, their fantastic musical scores.

I memorized most of the songs from each of these specials and even when I was unable to watch these special in later years as I grew up, the tunes were always in my heart where I could sing them all holiday season long.

Now that I am an adult, I am truly happy that these favorites of mine are still the favorites of children today. However, I would love to hear the music of my childhood in other places rather than watching these videos -- such as work or in my car.

So, when Sony released a compilation of my favorite children's Christmas songs from these beloved programs I have adored for decades (gosh am I THAT old?), I had to purchase it immediately.

Favorites Contained on Rudolph, Frosty & Friends...

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer by Burl Ives

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is probably my favorite song on Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... . I've always loved the story about the reindeer who was different, shunned, and who came back to be the hero of the day. To me this song says it all and relates to anyone who is different, giving them confidence that they can do anything they set their mind to if they only believe.

Burl Ives makes this version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer different than others. His voice, which is a sound of big band and jazz combined, really makes this particular piece special.

Frosty The Snowman - Jimmy Durante

Jimmy Durante is truly who makes Frosty's song special in the original television production as well as this version of the favorite song. His raspy voice that is on key but non-lyrical is a favorite of children now for decades. In addition, the chorus is very appealing for sing alongs.

Put One Foot In Front Of The Other - Mickey Rooney and Keenan Wynn

From the television production, Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Put One Foot In Front of the Other is a song telling of a person changing their temperament from bad to good and changing their life. Something that each one of us truly desires to do in our lives when we are changing our behavior from negative to good, Put One Food In Front of the Other appeals to all. It's casual lyrics and easy to sing along octives makes it a family favorite.

There's Always Tomorrow - Janet Orenstein

Another song from the program, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Janet Orenstein sings yet another song about dreams coming true -- if not today, then tomorrow. One of my favorite songs from childhood, her pure and clear soprano voice along with the non-intrusive chorus is perfectly on key, and absolutely beautiful.

The Truth?

The truth is -- I LOVE ALL OF THESE SONGS! I truly could sing all of them all day long -- not only during the holiday season, but just anywhere. Many of these songs are not solely Christmas in nature but are those telling of human nature and the willingness of each one of us to be able to be a really wonderful person if we truly make up our minds and hearts to be that way.

Therefore, there's no doubt in my mind that throughout the years, Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... will continue to be one of my most favorite collections of Christmas (and really anytime) music that touches my heart.

If you would like to keep a piece of your childhood, or your children's childhood to remember in song, I really can't think of any collection better than Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... . It contains really every basic love that I can find about Christmas through the eyes of children.

So, there's no doubt that I love Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... very much and I highly recommend it to you.

Note: There was originally a sing along video produced with these beautiful songs that I had purchased through the US Post office years ago. Unfortunately, that video is discontinued and mine is damaged and unusable. Hopefully I will eventually find another copy, because it's a perfect sing along for children that my kids have loved throughout the years.

Complete listing of songs contained on Rudolph, Frosty & Friends... include the following:

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer - Burl Ives