Ryobi P230 Impact Driver (33287135509) Reviews

Ryobi P230 Impact Driver (33287135509)

6 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Ryobi 18v Impact Driver

Jan 20, 2008 (Updated Oct 18, 2010)

Pros:battery life, power, size, lite,

Cons:noisy, not for lug nuts

The Bottom Line: So all in all, this is not a heavy duty industrial tool, but for the avid do-it-yourselfer or hobbyist, this tool is a must.

This tool is part of Ryobi's 18V ONE+ series, which is a family of 18 volt battery powered tools that all feature interchangeable batteries.  Of the 30+ tools Ryobi manufactures from this series I currently own the circular saw, impact driver, drill and vacuum.  They are all wonderful and I would recommend any of them for both home and construction use.

I bough this tool on Black Friday of 2006 and continue to use this tool on a regular basis. I can honestly say this is the best power tool that I have ever purchased. I’m a total gear head, always wrenching on cars, boats, motorcycles and small yard equipment. With this tool, I can get to almost any nut and bolt and 90% of the time it will come free. One thing about this tool really like about this impact driver is that it’s almost impossible to strip a screw or bit with it. This is especially useful when drilling long drywall screws into hardwood. Unlike a drill, this impact driver does not use a chuck, and instead has a quick release system for changing bits. Other features I like about this drill are its battery life, built in LED light large trigger (easier to use with big gloves on) and variable speed drive.

A really nice feature about this impact driver and all of Ryobi's 18V ONE+ tools) is it's battery compatibility. The standard 18V Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries are cheap and work great but if desired you can also use the more advanced Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries.  These have higher capacity so you can use the tools longer before needing a recharge, and are also lighter to prevent muscle fatigue on big projects. The drill comes with a 5/8 in bit, all you’ll need is a set of matching sockets.

There is one thing about this tool that I should mention to a potential buyer. This is an impact driver and not an impact wrench. While it delivers an outstanding 72 ft-lbs of torque it does not have the power to very heavy duty tasks like removing lug nuts or installing half inch lag screws. If you want to do tasks like those then you will need an air impact wrench.

Ryobi 18V impact driver gear box-transmission with inner case. Complete easy to install assembly.Part number 201005001 .For Ryobi P230 and P231 impact...