Pros:Electric, low price, reliable, options
Cons:Electric, BAD FOR LARGE YARDS
I bought a Ryobi Straight Shaft Electric Trimmer Plus (Model R137) with the Speed-Spool feature at Home Depot at the beginning of the summer (2000) and I have been very pleased with its performance since.
Recommend this product?
Trimmer PROS / CONS:
1) Electric - I have several electric power tools (chainsaw, trimmer, edger, etc.) and love the fact that I DO NOT have to deal with mixing oil and gasoline, noise, or exhaust. The trimmer works from the second I flip the switch until I release the trigger. You won't run out of fuel!
2) Power - In the trimmer mode (this trimmer can be converted into several different tools - see below), this trimmer works just as well as its gas counterparts.
3) Options - The Ryobi "Plus" system means that the powerplant of the trimmer (top half) can be connected to a variety of add on attachments. The attachments include - small roto-tiller, pruner, blower (two models), blower/vac, and even snowblower (gas models only). I have only used the trimmer and rototiller attachments and both worked very well. This is a very reliable and versatile tool.
4) Straight Shaft - I bought the straight shaft version specifically because it appears to be more precise than the curved shaft and it has a better reliability record.
5) Storage - Since the unit can be easily broken down into two pieces, it can be stored in a smaller space than most units.
6) Price - This trimmer, which competes on a performance basis with gas units, is priced significantly below the gasoline models. It is well with in the price range of the average homeowner.
7) Speed-Spool - The speed-spool option is very easy to use and reload. I LOVE IT!
8) Reliable - I have not had one problem with this unit! It is easy to use and my wife thoroughly enjoys it to weed around the trees.
1) Electric - Despite the pros of an electric trimmer, the electric option still suffers from having to drag a power cord behind it. If you have a smaller yard, this is not a problem and the trimmer is a cost effective alternative, but if your yard is large - this may not be the trimmer for you.
RECOMMENDATION - This is a great trimmer with many useful add-ons for homeowners with small to mid-sized yards. NOT recommended for commercial use or large yards.