Ryobi Straight Shaft Electric Trimmerplus 137r

Ryobi Electric Trimmer - A True Pleasure

Jul 26, 2000

Pros:Electric, low price, reliable, options

Cons:Electric, BAD FOR LARGE YARDS

I bought a Ryobi Straight Shaft Electric Trimmer Plus (Model R137) with the Speed-Spool feature at Home Depot at the beginning of the summer (2000) and I have been very pleased with its performance since.

Trimmer PROS / CONS:

PROS

1) Electric - I have several electric power tools (chainsaw, trimmer, edger, etc.) and love the fact that I DO NOT have to deal with mixing oil and gasoline, noise, or exhaust. The trimmer works from the second I flip the switch until I release the trigger. You won't run out of fuel!
2) Power - In the trimmer mode (this trimmer can be converted into several different tools - see below), this trimmer works just as well as its gas counterparts.
3) Options - The Ryobi "Plus" system means that the powerplant of the trimmer (top half) can be connected to a variety of add on attachments. The attachments include - small roto-tiller, pruner, blower (two models), blower/vac, and even snowblower (gas models only). I have only used the trimmer and rototiller attachments and both worked very well. This is a very reliable and versatile tool.
4) Straight Shaft - I bought the straight shaft version specifically because it appears to be more precise than the curved shaft and it has a better reliability record.
5) Storage - Since the unit can be easily broken down into two pieces, it can be stored in a smaller space than most units.
6) Price - This trimmer, which competes on a performance basis with gas units, is priced significantly below the gasoline models. It is well with in the price range of the average homeowner.
7) Speed-Spool - The speed-spool option is very easy to use and reload. I LOVE IT!
8) Reliable - I have not had one problem with this unit! It is easy to use and my wife thoroughly enjoys it to weed around the trees.

CONS

1) Electric - Despite the pros of an electric trimmer, the electric option still suffers from having to drag a power cord behind it. If you have a smaller yard, this is not a problem and the trimmer is a cost effective alternative, but if your yard is large - this may not be the trimmer for you.

RECOMMENDATION - This is a great trimmer with many useful add-ons for homeowners with small to mid-sized yards. NOT recommended for commercial use or large yards.

TrimmerPlus AF720 Add-On Straight Shaft String Trimmer with Fixed Blade Cutting Head

Trimmerplus Af720 Add-on Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Fixed Blade Cutting

Trimmerplus Af720 Add-on Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Fixed Blade Cutting

Neataneloys 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE NOW SHIPPING WORLDWIDE NEW TrimmerPlus AF720 Add-On Straight Shaft ...

TrimmerPlus Lawn Equipment Add-On Edger Attachment with Steel 7.5 in. Dual-Tip Blade LE720

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. The add-on TrimmerPlus LE720 lawn edger puts the final touch and edge on a lawn for a manicured look. The boom, b...

Ryobi P117 18 Volt Dual-chemistry Lithium Ion Battery Charger

Ryobi P117 18 Volt Dual-chemistry Lithium Ion Battery Charger

Ryobi P117 18 Volt Dual-chemistry Lithium Ion Battery Charger ONE+ delivers more value and performance with the smartest charger on the market. It cha...

Ryobi Cordless Power Tool Batteries 18-Volt ONE+ Ni-Cd Batteries (2-Pack) P101

Ryobi Cordless Power Tool Batteries 18-Volt ONE+ Ni-Cd Batteries (2-Pack) P101

Shop for Tools & Hardware at The Home Depot. Get twice the value for your money with the Ryobi 18V ONE+ Ni-Cd Batteries (2-Pack). These rechargeable b...

Trimmerplus Pole Saw Attachment For Mtd-branded Gas Trimmers Ps720

Trimmerplus Pole Saw Attachment For Mtd-branded Gas Trimmers Ps720

TrimmerPlus Pole Saw Attachment for MTD-Branded Gas Trimmers PS720 Northern Tool Item# 199710 Item Weight: 7.20 lb(s) This item ships directly from th...

Ryobi Lawn Equipment 18 in. 10 Amp Electric Straight Shaft String Trimmer RY41133

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. The Ryobi 10 Amp Electric Straight Shaft String Trimmer delivers power without the hassle of mixing gas and oil; ...

Ryobi Power Electric Paint Sprayer Kit Ssp050

Ryobi Power Electric Paint Sprayer Kit Ssp050

Ryobi Power Electric Paint Sprayer Kit SSP050 Features Innovative delivery system eliminates the need for dilution Quick-lock container locks into pla...